• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone have any interest in Narrating a Play by Post LotR game?

garyh

First Post
Hi all!!

Would there be interest in a play by post (PbP) game of Decipher's Lord of the Ring game? I ask here because I wanted to see if I could draw some people who don't normally check the In Character forum, but who have a strong interest in LotR.

The biggest trick is finding a Narrator. I don't know if I can do Tolkien justice as a Narrator, and I'd much prefer to play.

So, any interest in playing or narrating?

Mods: I know PbP recruitment threads normally go in IC, but as I said, I thought I'd try to draw some fresh blood, and this is where all the Tolkien talk is. Please leave this thread here, and when/if we get a group together, we'll take our planning and playing to IC. Thanks!! :)

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
wow.
really cool idea, gary.

hopefuly, there'll be enough interest to get a game going.

And I think more people should try out PbP gaming, especially in a genre they are very intetrested in (Tolkein), and see how they like it.

ColonelHardisson - that would be neat to see you play in it - you could critique the scenes cinematically. ;)

Actually - gary - not having Decipher's game, do the players play major roles (The Fellowhip characters), or do they make their own characters?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
This is just a suggestion, but maybe using the pregenerated characters in the book would help? I know people like to create their own PCs, but I thought I'd suggest it. Anyway, it seems that making up characters wouldn't be too difficult, especially if the starting packages given with the various orders (classes) are used. Maybe have folk who don't have the game describe their PC, and let the Narrator (or someone else with the book) provide stats?

garyh

First Post
reapersaurus said:
wow.
really cool idea, gary.

hopefuly, there'll be enough interest to get a game going.

And I think more people should try out PbP gaming, especially in a genre they are very intetrested in (Tolkein), and see how they like it.

ColonelHardisson - that would be neat to see you play in it - you could critique the scenes cinematically. ;)

Actually - gary - not having Decipher's game, do the players play major roles (The Fellowhip characters), or do they make their own characters?

Thanks, reaper. :) My thoughts exactly.

As for the PCs, the boxed intro set has you playing as the Fellowship, but you would really usually make your own PCs. They suggest some eras of play. You could play Second Age, you could play between The Hobbit and The LotR, you could play during the War of the Ring either substituting for or supporting the Fellowship, you could play in the 4th Age. If you've seen the Star Wars RPG, it's a similar approach to playing in a popular and established setting.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

Yeah, right up until someone decapitates me for being a killjoy... ;)

Hey, that sort of knowledge is exactly one of the reasons I'm recruiting in this forum, and not IC. :)

garyh

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
This is just a suggestion, but maybe using the pregenerated characters in the book would help? I know people like to create their own PCs, but I thought I'd suggest it. Anyway, it seems that making up characters wouldn't be too difficult, especially if the starting packages given with the various orders (classes) are used. Maybe have folk who don't have the game describe their PC, and let the Narrator (or someone else with the book) provide stats?

Good ideas, Col. H.

Using the Iconics (or, as they call them, Archetypes) would be a simple way to get started. Just need to make sure we errata them (www.decipher.com has errata), since some of them break rules. ;)

However, the sample skill sets are pretty easy to jump into as well (similar to the SW or WoT "quick PC" sections). And, while I don't have the "stuff" to Narrate, I'd be more than happy to help people who don't have the book by creating characters for them based on their requests.

I'm so happy this thread is finally getting some attention!!! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads