D&D 5E Does anyone know a good psion?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I second Kibble's Psion, or just use the UA mystic with a few houserules:

1) The Psion must be focusing on a discipline to use the powers from it.
2) Lower the number of disciplines known so that the mystic cant ''do anything'' like it was often complained.

If nothing works, there's always the solution to use a wizard template + curated spell list + spell points.
I third Kibbles' Psion. Laserllama's is also very good.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Kibbles spell point system is reasonable, refreshing after each short or long rest. It keeps the math smallish and the novas manageable.

A difficulty with Kibbles Psion is it lacks at-will cantrips.

Also, having a redundant mechanics to cast what are essentially the same thing as spells, feels unhelpful to the 5e gaming system as a whole.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Warlock has good mechanical chassis for the Psion spellcasting, including powerful at-wills, short-rest refreshes, and even upto spell slot level 9 for Psion spells like Wish (= mind over matter) and Foresight.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
When in doubt, just grab Kibble's Psion.
I second Kibble's Psion, or just use the UA mystic with a few houserules:

1) The Psion must be focusing on a discipline to use the powers from it.
2) Lower the number of disciplines known so that the mystic cant ''do anything'' like it was often complained.

If nothing works, there's always the solution to use a wizard template + curated spell list + spell points.
I third Kibbles' Psion. Laserllama's is also very good.

yoink

Into the documentation folder you go!
Does anyone know how that thing works in basic English as my attention is shot to heck and it looks rather complex on the surface?

Mind of tempest

Each edition had a different way of doing psionics. There are fans for different kinds of Psion.

I like the 3e Expanded Psionic Handbook Psion. It is moreorless a Wizard using spell points, with a thematic choice of spells.

In 5e, the Bard makes an awesome Psion for prescience (divinination, luck), telepathy (charm, illusion), psychometabolism (shapechange, heal), even psychoportation. Allow Bard to use features without any spell components and focus. The Bard is an awesome Psion as-is, especially for the non-flashy psychic powers.

The Bard lacks telekinesis. If telekinesis is important to the character concept, maybe create a background that grants the Bard spell knowledge. (Compare Strixhaven backgrounds.)

Kinete background
At each new class level, choose one spell from the following list whose spell level you can cast. You know this spell, and can cast it using the spell slots of your spellcasting class.

Mage Hand,
Unseen Servant, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield,
Levitation, Spiritual Weapon,
Fly, Hut,
Freedom of Movement
Wall of Force, Telekinesis.
I will suggest it to her but new players who read ahead a lot can get an idea really set in their head.
How much info do you want to have to read through?

Because it'd be easy to make a psion using Spheres of Power: Incanter with the Esper subclass and focus on talents from Mind and Telekinesis.

There's also Green Ronin's Blue Rose for 5e, but that'd be buying a whole book just for the tweaks they make so casting is psychic-like.
is learning spheres of power easy and does everyone else have to convert to it as well?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
is learning spheres of power easy and does everyone else have to convert to it as well?
The majority of the system is based on giving the caster a few simple base effects and then further options modify those. It's kind of like how Warlocks get eldritch blast and then can take invocations that modify the blast. I find dealing with that much, much easier than having a bunch of discrete options (i.e. spells) that have no relation to each other.

And you don't have to convert everyone: it's explicitly stated that Spheres is balanced against the core system such that you can introduce it piecemeal.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
IMHO, Spheres of Power are a good idea, but they are pretty complex; you can see the idea originated with 3.5ed!

For simplicity sake, I'd favor the UA Mystic since is written in the same language as the rest of the 5e classes, so its at least somewhat coherent with the rest of the game. The higher level features are a little bit of a mess

Mind of tempest

IMHO, Spheres of Power are a good idea, but they are pretty complex; you can see the idea originated with 3.5ed!

For simplicity sake, I'd favor the UA Mystic since is written in the same language as the rest of the 5e classes, so its at least somewhat coherent with the rest of the game. The higher level features are a little bit of a mess
mystic gets a bad rap for a reason, any idea on how kibble's works?

Remove ads