D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

Question:

How do the baatezu fight in the Blood War now? Are they really saying that they can't leave the Nine Hells at all? If they want to say that they can't leave the Lower Planes, I'm all for applying that to fiends in general. But to say they can't get into Blood War skirmishes across the Lower Planes is really sticking it to the Planescape lore.

jadrax

Adventurer
Question:

How do the baatezu fight in the Blood War now? Are they really saying that they can't leave the Nine Hells at all? If they want to say that they can't leave the Lower Planes, I'm all for applying that to fiends in general. But to say they can't get into Blood War skirmishes across the Lower Planes is really sticking it to the Planescape lore.

Not sure where you even got this idea, but no they do not say that at all. Even talks about how devils use portals to go elsewhere.

jadrax

Adventurer
I suppose Acererak is the same way?

I saw from the monster by rc list that the demilich is cr 18 while the lich is 20/21(?). Is there any change to the demilich? Didn't it used to be more powerful than a lich?

There are actually two different Demiliches in the book.

The default one is Challenge 18 (20 in lair), and is basically a Lich that has lost power by failing to consume souls on a regular basis.

The variant is Acererak and his Disciples, Liches that have willing transformed into Demiliches for their own reasons. They are Challenge 21 (23 in Lair).

Talath

Explorer
There are actually two different Demiliches in the book.

The default one is Challenge 18 (20 in lair), and is basically a Lich that has lost power by failing to consume souls on a regular basis.

The variant is Acererak and his Disciples, Liches that have willing transformed into Demiliches for their own reasons. They are Challenge 21 (23 in Lair).

I was just reading this entry. The Acererak demilich is off the chain. That's what I'm talking about! That entry got me really pumped up. Makes me want to run return to the tomb of horrors.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I was just reading this entry. The Acererak demilich is off the chain. That's what I'm talking about! That entry got me really pumped up. Makes me want to run return to the tomb of horrors.

I kinda dig that it has damage resistance against magical weapons, and immunity to nonmagical.

Not sure where you even got this idea, but no they do not say that at all. Even talks about how devils use portals to go elsewhere.

Okay, that's a relief then. I don't have the MM, so all I know is that keep hearing about this "trapped in the Nine Hells" thing and it really rubs me the wrong way.

There already is a Lower Plane where the inhabitants are trapped, it's called Carceri.

Dausuul

Legend
I always saw Orcs & Humans as evolutionary offshoots, like Neanderthal & Homo-Sapiens in the real world. Same with Elves. Why then aren't there any half-elven-orcs?
In the setting of my next campaign, it's because half-orcs are bred by the high elves from their orc and human slaves. Orcs make great cannon fodder for the elvish armies, but for their elite forces they want something smarter and more disciplined. Elf/orc hybrids, though... well, that just isn't done. Orcs are useful on the battlefield, but what self-respecting elf would want to sleep with one?

(I got really, really tired of high elves being Tolkien rip-offs, so I decided to make them Moorcock rip-offs instead. Melnibonelves. :) )

Last edited:

Okay, that's a relief then. I don't have the MM, so all I know is that keep hearing about this "trapped in the Nine Hells" thing and it really rubs me the wrong way.

There already is a Lower Plane where the inhabitants are trapped, it's called Carceri.

That's Tiamat. Tiamat's lore currently is that she is trapped in the Nine Hells.

In the setting of my next campaign, it's because half-orcs are bred by the high elves from their orc and human slaves. Orcs make great cannon fodder for the elvish armies, but for their elite forces they want something smarter and more disciplined. Elf/orc hybrids, though... well, that just isn't done. Orcs are useful on the battlefield, but what self-respecting elf would want to sleep with one?

(I got really, really tired of high elves being Tolkien rip-offs, so I decided to make them Moorcock rip-offs instead. Melnibonelves. :) )

I shall now proceed to yoink the hell out of all of this, for future campaign use.

(I'd XP, but must spread around, etc...)

Remove ads