D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

gyor

Legend
I just found the answer to my question, according to the SRD there is a type of unicorn called a celestial charger that is a Celestial Unicorn. In 4e I believe the celestial charger was just a celestial horse, but maybe I'm wrong. I remember the Unicorni 4e being a fey being. Of course in 4e elves and gnomes where fey too, and now its just a linger ancestory in elves and nothing in gnomes.

Still its a legendary creature, so when a Cleric or Bard who uses his magical secrets to gain the spell summons it, it should be able to use legendary actions right?

As @Lancelot noted, this is a return to 1st ed AD&D lore. The table that @Lancelot refers to is found in MM2 (under the Devil entry). And in Dragon 75, Ed Greenwood's discussion of the 2nd Hell (Dis) refers to the role of rakshasas on that plane.

Well that's okay then.

They can choose their own alignment and lose the immunity to compulsion trait. Modrons should be as PC-race-able as any of the standard MM critters (orcs, lizardmen, etc.). They range from CR 1/8 to CR 2, with the main difference being number of attacks and stats. They all get truesight, which may or may not be an issue. Pentadrones also get a recharging paralysis gas.

Sounds like they're saving the heirarch modrons for later. Given the amount of both fey and exemplar creatures that have been discussed in James Wyatt's Wandering Monsters articles, but which are not in the MM, I really hope they are planning a supplement that includes the rest of them in the very near future (like 2015). Whether it's a Manual of the Planes, or a Planescape Campaign Setting, I don't care. I just want them to finish filling out the planes, and give us those fey we were teased with.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Hi

Can someone spoil the Animated object, rug of smothering and the flying sword? Thanks.

-JT

Let's see.

They all have a cool ability "False Appearance", which lets them look like something else from a distance. Other things have this ability, too.

They're susceptible to antimagic.

Animated Armor, CR 1
Flying Sword, CR 1/4
Rug of Smothering, CR 2

Thaumaturge.

JTorres

First Post
Thaumaturge
Thanks! A follow-up question: what are the hit dice and the attacks on the rug?

MonsterEnvy
Thanks for the suggestion but, while I found the flying sword, I don't think the rug of smothering is in the basic update.

-JT

pemerton

Legend
is there any edition of d&d where the unicorn is a celestial instead of fey?
Well, ki-rin can be seen as a form of unicorn, and they are celestial.

(I see I've been ninja-ed by your self-reply, but thought I'd post this anyway. Also, you are correct that a 4e celestial charger is not a unicorn, just a horse.)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I know a Sahuagin question was answering early (either here or in Morrus's thread) but I'm just wondering in Sahuagin have a unique racial ability similar to the Goblin's Nimble Escape or the Gnoll's Rampage and what that ability might be. Starting my Eberron campaign tomorrow and the little guys play a pretty prominent role.

Edit:
  • Sahuagin (CR 1/2)
  • Sahuagin Priestess (CR 2)
  • Sahuagin Baron (CR 5)

They all get blood frenzy, they have advantage on mêlée attacks against creatures who don't have their full hit points, so ouch. They can also telepathically talk to sharks, and they only need to return to the water every 4 hours or so to avoid suffocation.

Thaumaturge.

Just looked again and found this. Ouch indeed. This should be fun
:]

Last edited:

Remove ads