Dragonlance Does Black Robe Life Channel work with Wratful Smite and Searing Smite?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Just because a rule says it can happen, doesn't mean it should. Paladins didn't exist on Krynn. Wizards of High Sorcery wouldn't allow a Kender in any of the orders or towers.

If you do this you're raping my childhood.😆 The lore of the setting should supersede any rule.
Wait, Paladins existed on Krynn. There was at least two 2e Paladins from Krynn, Chaladar from The Legend of the Spelljammer (who was 9th level before he left for space and eventually rose to 19th), and Denys of Shiningburg, an emissary sent from Krynnspace to the Rock of Bral.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just because a rule says it can happen, doesn't mean it should. Paladins didn't exist on Krynn. Wizards of High Sorcery wouldn't allow a Kender in any of the orders or towers.

If you do this you're raping my childhood.😆 The lore of the setting should supersede any rule.
Paladins did exist on Krynn, they were just overshadowed by the knights of Solamnia. They've always been an option in earlier editions of the game.

Dausuul

Legend
This should work, yes.

Balance-wise, it seems good but not broken to me. In order to use this trick, you have to cast one of the [xxx] smite spells, which have substantial drawbacks compared to using the same spell slot for regular paladin smite: You have to cast the spell in advance rather than when you hit, it costs a bonus action and concentration, and you can't fish for a crit and then dump your highest-level slot into it. And, of course, you are using your background feat.

In exchange for these limitations, you get a respectable amount of bonus damage, at the cost of a self-heal resource that you, a melee warrior, really need.

Of the choice to play a kender (...) paladin (?) of the Black Robes (!), I will not speak. :)

ECMO3

Hero
This should work, yes.

Balance-wise, it seems good but not broken to me. In order to use this trick, you have to cast one of the [xxx] smite spells, which have substantial drawbacks compared to using the same spell slot for regular paladin smite: You have to cast the spell in advance rather than when you hit, it costs a bonus action and concentration, and you can't fish for a crit and then dump your highest-level slot into it. And, of course, you are using your background feat.

In exchange for these limitations, you get a respectable amount of bonus damage, at the cost of a self-heal resource that you, a melee warrior, really need.
Thanks. I think my DM is going to allow it too. I like doing control more than damage on my characters so the frightened Wrathful smite works well for me. I could of course still crit fish and put a Paladin smite on top of the smite spell (using another slot).

Of the choice to play a kender (...) paladin (?) of the Black Robes (!), I will not speak. :)

I actually started putting the character together, including a start on backstory in dndbeyond. Here is what I have for a backstory so far:

Grandpappy Burrfoot always said not to go off wandering and making a fool of myself like Uncle Tass did, but I really loved Uncle Tass's stories of far off lands. He talked a lot about his friend Stormy Briteblade who was a Night of Salami. This is what I wanted to do, so I practiced with real weapons, grabbed some armor off a visitor who was not using it any more (he took it off and just laid it on the floor at the foot of his bed). Then I headed out to become a Night.

I didn't know where Kender go to become Nights though, so I just wandered around asking people. Eventually I ran into a friendly spirit guy named Fistandtanis .... , uhm Fistanrambubs .... uhm Fistan ... Fistan-something and he convinced me the best way to become a Night was to enroll in the Tower of High Sorcerery so that is what I did. He explained that being a Night was really all about darkness (I never thought of it that way). He told me to ask for black robes because that is how all Salami Nights do things. He said he would secretly help me with my studies, in exchange for a favor in the future.

I am not sure he was completely truthful with me, but he helped tutor me and told me what to say so those stuffy wizards would accept me and pass me through the program. They taught me about Magic and how to acquire and hoard power for myself because that is what all Nights do I guess. They told me all about this third dark moon that I did not even realize was there - I mean really, there is actually a third moon in the sky! They have this cool lens in the observatory that you can look through and see the third moon ...... the lens somehow ended up in my pocket, here look for yourself ... well actually you will need to wait until it is dark out. I can't wait to get back to Kendermore and show it to everyone .... well everyone except Grandpappy Burrfoot. This adventure is going to be so fun!

Here is where I am so far on the character:

Note the High Sorcery feat does not work right and it only let me take False Life as a spell, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Last edited:

Wait, Paladins existed on Krynn. There was at least two 2e Paladins from Krynn, Chaladar from The Legend of the Spelljammer (who was 9th level before he left for space and eventually rose to 19th), and Denys of Shiningburg, an emissary sent from Krynnspace to the Rock of Bral.
It's complicated. When Dragonlance was originally published there was no prohibition on paladins, but no official pregen paladins. Then, when Dragonlance Adventures was published (still 1st edition) it re-tooled the paladin class into a Solamnic Knight class, as well as re-tooling the Magic User class into a Wizard of high sorcery class. So at that time, the setting didn't have Paladins (or Magic Users). It had characters who walked like paladins and quacked like paladins, but were called Solamnic Knights.

Last edited:

Remove ads