• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Does D&D (and RPGs in general) Need Edition Resets?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Golden Era is when you get enough era points to get a bonus.

Essentially it is a time when a lot of influential good X's are created.

Usual the first golden age is right after the medium is invented and a bunch of new forms of it is created. The second is when a bunch of new high quality versions are created once people figure it out.

That would be late 2e/early 3e for the first and right now for the second.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So you're saying D&D should become a live service game???

Get a Beyond account so you can keep up with the latest patch!
Works for me TBH. Though I do buy physical books of core and favorite books for insurance. I love the convenience and auto-updates in D&D Beyond...so long as I like the game. But I can always go back to the physical books if the digital moves beyond my tastes. I love running Warhammer Fantasy 4e on Foundry, with the ability to update modules. I'm also really looking forward to a Warhammer Fantasy 1e one-shot my friend's son will be running in a couple days from his dad's books from the '80s.

Works for me TBH. Though I do buy physical books of core and favorite books for insurance. I love the convenience and auto-updates in D&D Beyond...so long as I like the game. But I can always go back to the physical books if the digital moves beyond my tastes. I love running Warhammer Fantasy 4e on Foundry, with the ability to update modules. I'm also really looking forward to a Warhammer Fantasy 1e one-shot my friend's son will be running in a couple days from his dad's books from the '80s.
I have subscriptions for PF2e rulebooks and the Lost Omens line of lore books because I enjoy reading the books, but Foundry is a much better value and usefulness for my group since that’s where we run our games anyhow and the errata ends up there. I think digital is just making the slow incremental change concept easier to manage.

On the theme of the thread, the PF2e Remaster books cleaned up some of the rules, improved a few classes, removed some stuff that just didn’t need to be in the game anymore, and so far hasn’t caused an issue for me running a pre-master AP with classes that haven’t been adjusted yet alongside classes that have. If WotC can pull off the same thing for their 2024 books, that will be a good thing for D&D in the long run.

Zardnaar

Legend
Golden Era is when you get enough era points to get a bonus.

Essentially it is a time when a lot of influential good X's are created.

Usual the first golden age is right after the medium is invented and a bunch of new forms of it is created. The second is when a bunch of new high quality versions are created once people figure it out.

That would be late 2e/early 3e for the first and right now for the second.

Golden age in D&D context was roughly 81-83, silver age was 3.0.

Your personal GA may vary of course.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Golden age in D&D context was roughly 81-83, silver age was 3.0.

Your personal GA may vary of course.
You can make a case for the 70s, the early 80s, or the latter Teens/20s.

The Aughts, it seems to me, might be the second worst decade for D&D, after the 90's, in terms of commercial and cultural impact.

Remathilis

Legend

The Aughts, it seems to me, might be the second worst decade for D&D, after the 90's, in terms of commercial and cultural impact.
My take is that its a bit like the Star Trek curse: it skips editions.

Original D&D was a modest hit. AD&D 1e (and Basic) was the first major success. 2e saw fortunes decline due to TSR mismanagement and bloat, 3e was a hit off the back of OGL, 4e was a commercial failure, and 5e has exceeded all expectations.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yep - the two golden ages for D&D were about 1979-84, and about 2016-present.
The 90s were a wasteland. The 00s started strong enough - 3e did provide a kickstart the game sorely needed - then faded as the decade went on, 4e notwithstanding.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads