• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does D&D require healing magic? And is that a good thing?

Jhaelen

First Post
Emirikol said:
Thoughts?
Is that supposed to be a question?
I don't quite get what you're trying to say.
Yes, clerics play an important role in D&D. And yes, magical healing is important for the game to work the way it's supposed to be. The same is true for other rpg systems. And, yes, there are also lots of other rpg systems that work well without magical healing. So?

Celebrim

Legend
Emirikol said:
Thoughts?

Yes, D&D requires healing magic. The reason is that the hit point mechanic, while buffering against unexpected random death, also encourages and requires frequent 'injury'. Because the hit point system is designed to keep a character from going down with one blow, it also requires blows to frequently land if anyone is ever going to be threatened at all. And thus, if the game is going to stay flowing smoothly from one scenario to the next and not be put on pause regularly, healing magic is required.

I don't think D&D's requirement for healing magic has much of anything to do with having a cleric. The cleric is just a convient place to hang D&D's need for healing magic. It could have been placed somewhere else, and that would leave the cleric doing the other things it does - which at least in 3rd edition is considerable if much less so in earlier editions.

In systems where injuries are less frequent (but generally more serious when they do happen), healing magic is also less important. In games where injuries are frequent, regardless of the system, something gets grafted into the system to serve the same role - whether it be super-regeneration, sufficiently advanced technology, or whatever.

D&D without healing magic would create a wierd situation. Combat could generally occur only once every few game days, but so long as it only occured that infrequently, it would retain the expectation that the PC's would win a given encounter without being seriously threatened. When it occurred more frequently, every other combat would be very grim and gritty or at a minimum would radically adjust the expected challenge of a particular combat.

Where I would disagree is whether this has any negative effect on D&D as a roleplaying game. In my experience, role playing occurs or doesn't occur quite independently of the game's mechanics. I don't think a game's mechanics can actually encourage or hinder role-playing, provided that they don't actually impinge too heavily on social interaction. Since a combat system never qualifies as this, I don't think the sort of combat system a game has has anything at all to do with whether or not role playing occurs. Now, for example, a Diplomacy system if taken too literally and if written too mechanically, could hinder roleplaying - but I've never yet been in a situation where this has happened in play. The reason it doesn't happen is that people who are actually interested in role playing, aren't interested in heavy mechanical resolutions of social conflicts. And people who aren't actually interested in playing out social conflicts, don't need detailed mechanical resolution of social conflicts.

Playing D&D, I've had sessions where we went 8 hours without throwing a dice, and I've had sessions where we were throwing dice as fast as we could for hours in order to resolve the conflict. Those are exceptions rather than the rule, and I like it that way; but on the other hand neither would I want to be in a campaign that percluded extreme exceptions on either end. Generally speaking, sessions where we throw alot of dice are about combat, and sessions where we don't throw alot of dice are about role playing. That is how I think it should be. I for one enjoy both roleplaying and combat, and much like how I'd not want to eat a meal that was all meat or all vegetables very often, but instead I want a balanced mix, in the same way I want to 'feast' on a balanced mixture of role playing (and all of its goodness) and combat (and all of its goodness). Most gamers also want variaty in thier 'diet'. Now, there are people who really enjoy role-playing, and are bored by combat, and there are people who really enjoy combat and see role-playing only as something you do to set up the next combat. IME, much like 'vegans' and 'carnivores', those gamers tend to be really snotty and arrogant about thier preference, and act real pretentious like their preferences were the only valid way, or at minimum the best way, to play an RPG.

Now, there is a small subcategory of RP which is 'role playing that occurs within combat' wherein I suppose a combat system would have a big impact. Traditionally, the D&D game has not done anything to encourage RP in combat, which tends to default D&D combat to 'I attack, hit, do damage.' The 3rd edition system helps a little bit simply by giving more options, but I suppose more could be done in that direction if you wanted. Still, I don't think that the generally powerful healing available in D&D impacts that one way or the other.

I guess I don't qualify as "a decent discussion".

PS: I don't think you should blame someone else for your own 'knee-jerk' reactions. If you are going to have knee jerk reactions, stop and think before posting. If you don't like a particular posters style, 'ignore' is always available, or you could - I don't know - show a little self-control and not post in the thread. "I was uncontrollably provoked into acting like a jerk." doesn't seem to me to be a valid defence.

Last edited:

dren

First Post
Yes, D&D, using the core rules, assumes the role of healer will be available.

However, there is no reason why a fantasy rpg does. In a low magic or combat gritty style, healing can be restricted to great effect. Limiting classes healing abilities or spells is certainly one way to handle this, but I would hesitate to do this unless you tweak other areas of the game, especially in regards to exp points and levelling. The CR system will be totally out-of-whack if you do this, as creatures that inflict heavy damage, regenerate or have dmg resistance will be that much stronger as a consequence.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If there's not some sort of mechanic - be it herbs, potions, spells, whatever - to speed healing the "excitement" level drops considerably; entire sessions would consist of waiting for days on end to recover hit points and hoping nothing hostile drops by in the meantime. (and people seem to think it's bad enough to wait overnight for the wizards to recover spells; how bad would *this* be, by contrast?) So, healing is necessary.

Given that, and that the game is class-based, it naturally follows there's going to be some sort of healing class either right from square one or as a quickly and widely adopted option. I fail to see a problem...

Remathilis said:
To whit: I've played a lot of d20 Star Wars, where [...] we get into as many combats as in D&D. (which is a pain due to wound points, but I digress).
That pun hurts. Can I get a cure please? :)

Lanefan

The Hound

Explorer
painandgreed said:
You have a carrot shaped nose and regenerate.

Editted to add: You post about controversial issues and deliberatly use wording to provoke knee jerk responces. If this was the only post of yours like this, I wouldn't even notice. Lately (and possibly earlier), all your threads have been like this. I don't think you actually care about the issues nor answers. I don't think provoking arguements adds to the forum in anyway.

If arguments=flame wars then you are right, but there's nothing wrong with throwing out something controversial with a straw man or two to provoke a debate. Civilized debates are the spice of any forum. It's up to us responders to keep it civilized.

My 2 cents worth on healing - it seems to have been put there in the very beginning as a way to allow multiple encounters in a dungeon wilst keeping most of the party alive for the next crawl. Clerics were just the logical channel for healing, given western religious tradition.
The only "healing" spell that I have a problem with is resurrection. Access to resurrection spells should be rarer and/or more chancey than it is in D&D currently. Making death more likely to be permanent heightens suspense during combat and lessens player stupidity.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The Cleric is a way of "pooling risk". A Rogue who takes a hit or a Fighter who takes a hit are at different risk of death, but if they survive, one Cleric spell will heal either hit.

If there were another way to pool damage (and conditions) among the team's resources, the Cleric wouldn't matter so much.

Cheers, -- N

GSHamster

Adventurer
Actually, you could probably remove a lot of the healing in the game with a simple rule.

"At the end of an encounter, all surviving characters are restored to full hitpoints."

Maybe it doesn't make logical sense, but from a game point of view healing can become a lot less necessary. I always found that a D&D cleric isn't spam healing the way a MMORPG cleric does during the fight itself. It's really recovery from the fight where large amounts of healing is needed.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks, please do not further derail the discussion with discussion of who is responsible for what reactions. At this point, I'll ask you to set aside the finger-pointing and defenses. Speak on the need for and the effects of healing magic, but leave the blame-game behind.

Emirikol

Adventurer
GSHamster said:
Actually, you could probably remove a lot of the healing in the game with a simple rule."At the end of an encounter, all surviving characters are restored to full hitpoints."

I've thought about doing this. Book of 9 Swords (and probably others before it) seemed to break ground and make sense that characters are encounter dependent and that's how the game direction may be going anyways.

That may free up the game to look directions other than "where's my next heal coming from."

Unfortunately, it creates some logic problems for non-episodic games...but then it's up to the DM to have to create encounters that may fit logically into that type of approach.

If you knew that ANY encounter might be your last, you might think twice about how you approach things.

jh

Emirikol

Adventurer
Celebrim said:
D&D without healing magic would create a wierd situation. Combat could generally occur only once every few game days, but so long as it only occured that infrequently, it would retain the expectation that the PC's would win a given encounter without being seriously threatened. When it occurred more frequently, every other combat would be very grim and gritty or at a minimum would radically adjust the expected challenge of a particular combat.

Where I would disagree is whether this has any negative effect on D&D as a roleplaying game.

I personally like the extra combats in D&D. I've played in heavy role playing games..even a full Cthulhu campaign and it really wasn't my style of play.

In my games, I've gone so far as to make healing potions readily available so the cleric can be freed up to focus on other things (like their 'own' roleplaying beyond being the healer).

The jury's still out though whether allowing 'endless' healing from anyone makes the cleric or the game any better. I certainly disagree with my player that "limiting" healing would encourage more roleplaying..I think it would simply leave a lot of players unhappy.

jh

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads