• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does d20 cover all the Planescape stuff?

Excalatus

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
Explain your question. I'm not sure what you mean.

Forgive me. I mean does the OGL permit the use of any type of Planescape material in a d20 setting. Monsters, the actual planes, Sigil, etc.?

Excalatus

First Post
DM Magic said:
Although I'm not a lawyer, I do believe that all setting specific material relating to Planescape is Product Identity, which means you can't use it under the d20 System License or OGL.

Dang nabbit! :D

I only ask because I'm writing an actual fantasy book and I was kind of hoping I could use some of the planes. I just knew I'd have to wade through legal crap first.

I think I've read that if it's not in the SRD, it's not open...

But as for the planes, try focusing on the original planes (that is, from pre-D&D). For instance, I'm pretty sure that Mt. Celestia is some Christian thing. Elysium is based on Greek myth. And so on.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be speaking out of the wrong orifice...

Excalatus

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
I think I've read that if it's not in the SRD, it's not open...
Where can I get a copy of the SRD?

Heretic Apostate said:
But as for the planes, try focusing on the original planes (that is, from pre-D&D). For instance, I'm pretty sure that Mt. Celestia is some Christian thing. Elysium is based on Greek myth. And so on.
Yeah, I figured that. But I'm not sure about places like Mechanus. I know I could use Primus if I liked, because that name is used widely in a public domain, but I'm not sure about Mechanus. And Sigil is out of the question, but I might be able to get away with calling it the City of Doors. I've got a few nifty cards in my bag of tricks. :D

Heretic Apostate said:
Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be speaking out of the wrong orifice...
Believe me, I'll take any help I can get. I hate reading through all kinds of legalities only to find out I'm wasting my time. I'd like to get a few heads-ups.

d4

First Post
Excalatus said:
Yeah, I figured that. But I'm not sure about places like Mechanus. I know I could use Primus if I liked, because that name is used widely in a public domain, but I'm not sure about Mechanus. And Sigil is out of the question, but I might be able to get away with calling it the City of Doors. I've got a few nifty cards in my bag of tricks.
i'm not a lawyer either, but even this sounds iffy. if you have a place in your book that is exactly like Sigil, or Mechanus, but just with a different name, i'm pretty sure you can still get hammered for infringing on their Product Identity. it's not just the name, it's the whole "look and feel".

since you are creative enough to be writing a book in the first place, it would be better if you came up with your own ideas rather than trying to steal ideas from other people. ;)

Ranger REG

Explorer
If you want to do something with Planescape then talk to WotC. IOW, have their lawyers contact your lawyer and hammer out a deal. After all, they can give you any one of two possible answers: yes or no.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads