• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Dragon magazine suck now?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
[ot] Does Dragon magazine suck now?

Maybe it was just the new edition of something, but I really liked Dragon Mag when 3e came out. But ever since issue 300 came out, I really haven't been impressed with the magazine anymore.

I brought this up with my gaming group last night, and I found a few people agreed with me.

Anybody else think that the magazine sucks now?

I've decided to save my $6 every month (or whatever the mag costs).

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
No, I don't think it sucks now. I do wish, though that they had stuck with a direction similar to the one they had with the first several 3e issues. Currently (the last couple of issues), the magazine almost seems like a compromise between that style, and the style it had in the 90s, which is not a good thing. Still, the magazine in no way sucks.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
On the contrary -- the issues have been so good lately that I've finally dropped the money for a subscription.

I wonder if it's changing its focus in some subtle way that makes it better suited for my game even while it's less suited for yours.

Daniel

Arnwyn

First Post
While I haven't been too impressed since the introduction of 3e (miss my Campaign Components - I think that's what it was named), this last issue (#306? The one with the succubus on the cover) was incredible.

I could virtually use *every one* of the articles in there (though I did miss the Elminster article, which I like, because (IMO) a monkey can insert that into any campaign). I digress.

I was particularly impressed with the addition of new rules that can be used for action-campaigns - ones where the situation could come up quite often. I *love* articles like that (same goes for the underwater combat rules - which should have been in the original 3e DMG - and the vehicle rules). Rules for swinging on ropes? Hell, yeah. Why the heck haven't we been getting articles like that sooner?

I also like new outsiders/planar monsters, because (IMC) the planes are infinite, so I have no problem adding those in.

Theme issues stink.

Siridar

First Post
When it first changed over to 3e is when I started getting a subsciption, and I was really pleased with it. Then around 300 or so, it sort of lacked IMO. With the last two issues, I like it again.

Although it could also be connected with my gaming habits as I stopped playing for a while around that time period and I've recently gotten back into gaming.

Either way, it gives me something to read on the subway :D

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I'll sound the contrary voice here... IMO, the quality of Dragon has been declining over the past eight to twelve issues, with a noticeable (for me) drop-off since Paizo's takeover.

Why?

1.) The decline of articles on "metarules" - i.e., rules for making rules ("How to Design a PrC, Monster, etc.).

2.) A "stepping up" of content that I find inappropriate at best and objectionable at worst (specifically subject matter and language - and I'll leave it at that).

3.) A general decline IMO of the number of articles that seem "modular" enough for me to easily pick up and transplant to a campaign world. In the past 7 issues of Dragon, I was able to cull approximately 10 pages of material that I found "useful" for my world. 7 issues at $6 per issue means I'm paying $42 for 10 pages... or $4.20 per page. Sorry, but that's WAY too rich for my blood.

Now, I know some folks like the new direction Dragon is taking, but for me, it is going from "some stuff I want, some stuff I don't" (which I expect - I dont' expect it to perfectly cater to just me) to "no stuff I want, all stuff I don't." That, from my perspective, is a general decline in usefulness and makes the magazine "worse."

IMO, YMMV, and all that. I'm sure some people enjoy the new direction - it just seems to me that Dragon is going from "something for everyone" to "lots of stuff for some and none for others..." and since I happen to be in the "others" category, my opinion of the magazine is that it's getting worse. Those in the "some" category should think it's improving.

--The Sigil

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
The only issue that I really did not like was the one with the epic level book tie in, I don't know if it was Pazio Pub.. I understand them wanting them to tie the latest issue with what is coming out that month, but thats all that issue was, nothing else, usally they just have a couple of articles that tie in to the other stuff coming out.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
The Sigil said:
it just seems to me that Dragon is going from "something for everyone" to "lots of stuff for some and none for others..." --The Sigil

I disagree. Dragon used to have nothing in it I could or would use; now it's got more stuff I can use. I think it may be shifting its focus, but it's not becoming narrower in focus; it's just focusing now on stuff I like and you dislike, instead of on stuff I dislike and you like.

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads