• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Dragon magazine suck now?

Airwolf said:
Well, I don't know if it sucks or not, I have never subscribed or purchased a copy.

I will put in a plug for the ENWorld Player's Journal. Now that's a good mag. Everyone should be getting this one.

So if you think Dragon sucks, dump it and pick up ENWorld Player's Journal!
Darn I looked for the link but couldn't find it :)
Ken
Well I bought a copy to evaluate,

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
I buy every issue and find that about 50% is usable for me. I for one like the more mature direction that Dragon is taking and hope that it continues. I would even like to see more articles on vile/mature topics as that theme is very prevalent in my game.

So my vote is a definite "does not suck".

Dirge

Olive

Explorer
suck? no... people always get agazine burn out. The magazine follows a format, and after a few issues of that format you'll get less excited about it. not to mention that excitement has gone down since the initial release of 3e.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Just as I was thinking that it wasn't worth subscribing to both Dragon & Dungeon (I was going to get Dungeon regardless), I picked up 306.

This.
Issue.
Kicks.
Butt.

So no, I don't feel Dragon sucks now. I feel it has its ups and downs.

(EDIT: 306, not 305)

Last edited:

Hardhead

Explorer
The last several issues have been excellent. I now believe that Paizo Publishing's aquisition of Dragon was a good thing.

- Z a c h

Mercule

Adventurer
FWIW, I did just go out and pick up #306.

Now that I've seen the cover up close and personal, I like it. Probably not the _best_ cover ever, but it is very good. I'm not saying that for the cheesecake, either (sorry, those talons kinda ruin the cheesecake effect for me). It's just well done. And the cover isn't swamped by text, either. If the guys from Paizo are listening, do more like this.

Didn't much care for the new critters or the Killing Cousins article (caveat: I haven't read the whole thing yet, I might change my mind), but the content looks solid overall. Nothing exemplary, but plenty of useful bits. Of course, the Silicon Sorcery, being about video games will never get read by me even should I purchase or consider purchasing Icewind Dales 2 (for those who are slow, I'll reiterate: SS is a waste of space, IMHO). I'm also happy to see there isn't any fiction in the magazine (or I missed it).

Overall, though, this is what I'd expect the baseline of the magazine to look like. There's nothing that jumps out as extremely good, but nothing extremely bad, either. Just generally useful.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'm not crazy about the covers. The interior artwork is usually OK. I find quite a few of the articles useful and I also like the fact that Gary Gygax now has a regular column. I'm also quite happy with the occasional article intended for mature readers. Overall, I think its worth the price and I'll be renewing my subscription.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads