Paizo Does Paizo have any good systemless (or nearly systemless) books?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm feeling the need to drop some money in Paizo's bag of holding today. ;)

I've previously gotten their Monsters Revisited books, but I no longer use the systems those books are (currently?) written in, and am interested in other books that would be of use for an OSR or 5E DM.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm pretty sure the 5E version of the Kingmaker Bestiary would be right up your alley.

Also, as I recall their Inner Sea Races book is something like three-fourths flavor text, one-fourth crunch.

JThursby

Adventurer
I'm feeling the need to drop some money in Paizo's bag of holding today. ;)

I've previously gotten their Monsters Revisited books, but I no longer use the systems those books are (currently?) written in, but I'm interested in other books that would be of use for an OSR or 5E DM.

Thanks!
Much of the Lost Omen line is more lore focused than game focused. Absalom: City of Lost Omens; Lost Omens: Mwangi Expanse; Lost Omens: Legends, and the Lost Omen: Travel Guide are all far, far more about the setting lore than the crunch.

FallenRX

Adventurer
Their original Korvosa City guide was made to be mostly systemless(They even said it in the book), and its a very good city to use.

Most of their setting books can easily be used for anything, espeically the Inner Seas World Guide.
I use it actively for my 5e game each week, its a minimum crunch.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I've used Paizo Adventure Paths for other systems before, just using the plot and swapping in whatever things I needed to stat-wise.

Otherwise, pretty much anything that describes Golarion is good. Even if you don't want to use the setting itself, you can always take bits and pieces for your own world.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Oh, that's a good one. I still use all of those in other games, along with Pathfinder Pawns (are they still a thing? PF was still in 1st edition when I bought those :D)
Yeah, I think they still make the pawn boxes. Those are great, even if you have to buy a couple of them to get a decent number of mooks.

I love their map packs. I'm usually a theater of the mind dungeon master, but during D&D4 especially I really valued being able to slap one of those cards down in the middle of a hand-drawn battlemat to give players a sense of what the rest of the terrain looked like.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I love the Inner Sea Guide for Golarion! Lots of setting material on a high level overview. You get facts and figures of every nation. Also, adventure hooks and ideas. Relatively free of mechanics. If anything a great book for the shelf thats fun to read.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I'm usually a theater of the mind dungeon master, but during D&D4 especially I really valued being able to slap one of those cards down in the middle of a hand-drawn battlemat to give players a sense of what the rest of the terrain looked like.
Ha, pretty much how I use things like that too. No measuring, counting squares, or tactical movement. It's just there to help illustrate the scene, and give people an idea of where X is in relation to Y at the moment.

And of course to give everyone a shock when you plop down a Cthulhu miniature in the water on the boat map.

Remove ads