Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
@Mistwell

It feels like you are trying to say I should understand what others meant by heal, when it was me that first uttered the phrase about healing that started this all. Should they not have understood what I meant by heal and thus avoided this whole episode? Why attempt to chastise me when it was their lack of understanding, or worse - extreme pedantry, that caused this?

Because you started an entire other thread to try and "prove" someone wrong. It was silly man. This can't be a thing you're proud of, and heck a couple people have disavowed EnWorld over this thread. You turned a minor semantics dispute into nuclear war.

Mistwell

Personally, I use toothbrushes for a variety of cleaning purposes, only one of which is brushing my teeth (although I do prefer not to use the same toothbrush for my teeth as I use for other things...).

OK, let me take a different approach to this issue.

My PC is being chased by a pack of wolves. He casts Phantom Steed to escape from them. A phantom steed has a speed of 100 feet, so it quickly outpaces the wolves. The spell has a duration of 1 hour. Riding a horse is light activity that you can undertake while having a short rest. At the end of the spell, I've had a short rest and, as a result of having that rest, can spend Hit Dice to regain lost hit points.

Is Phantom Steed a healing spell?

I disagree with you that riding a horse fleeing wolves for an hour at top speed is "light activity". But if your DM rules it that way, OK. However, it is not one of the primary intended roles for the phantom speed spell. The intention of the spell is primarily to fill a movement niche. The primary purpose of rope trick is to fill a rest and short rest ability recharge niche. The primary purpose of a tooth brush is to fill the brushing of teeth niche. While these things can do other stuff, we should be able to talk about the obviously primary roles they serve without people complaining that they don't do those things because you might be able to do something else with them.

My point is not semantic.

Then you're doing a horrible job at communicating your point, as you repeatedly chose semantics arguments to communicate it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well for one, you never explained your statement, just attacked mine repeatedly.

For two, all you said was that Wizards get everything but healing, which is false. They also get healing.
They don't get a lot of healing spells, but they get healing.

When the first comment you make to someone that has said something is that what they said is false you become the instigator and lose any other highground you may have otherwise had.

Now even after I was challenged by you I asked a few probing questions trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about. After a few questions I had established that you were attempting to say I was wrong because wizards got the rope trick spell (and others like it) and that those spells heal. It was only after I established where you were coming from that I then proceeded to disagree with your reason for disagreeing with me, that rope trick heals.

This poll is the proof that I was correct to do so as nearly 90% of voters agree with me that it doesn't heal (that's an unheard of number for enworld).

But let's not focus on that, instead let's focus on how to avoid this situation in the future. Simply stop replying to people that they are wrong with your very first reply to their thoughts. Probe a little first, understand where they are coming from etc etc. If we would all do that this forum would be a much better and healthier.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ahem, you might want to watch what you say when you're verify-ably lieing

It is time to ask yourselves a rhetorical question. "Am I here to discuss and figure things out with the help of my fellow gamers (sometimes using an adversarial method to do that), or am I here... to *WIN*?"

Hint: Impugning others is probably a great way to get us to decide that you're not really here to learn much any more. That probably means you have very little actual *content* to add to the thread, and could be safely removed from the discussion without harming exploration of the topic.

Fewer personal attacks, more content. Are we clear? I hope so. But, if not, please take it to e-mail or PM with one of the moderating staff. Thanks.

Mistwell

Climbing any amount of rope is going to be more strenuous than eating and drinking, which will disturb the short rest.

Climbing one foot of rope is not more strenuous than tending someone else's wounds or your own. But you don't even need to do that under the rules as written.

Step 1. Cast spell on 3' length of rope.
Step 2. Crouch down and move to entrance of rope trick portal.
Step 3. Stand up in portal.
Step 4. Sit on lip of portal.
Step 5. Bring your legs in and stand up in rope trick portal.

None of these are strenuous activities any more or less strenuous than tending wounds or walking.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Because you started an entire other thread to try and "prove" someone wrong. It was silly man. This can't be a thing you're proud of, and heck a couple people have disavowed EnWorld over this thread. You turned a minor semantics dispute into nuclear war.

What's silly is that every discussion on enworld is always a minor semantics dispute and those threads get the hottest and have the most traffic and last for hundreds of posts. Apparently minor semantic disputes is what we are about...

I'd like for that to change but I wouldn't bet on it happening. In order for that change to take place we are going to have to stop having our first reply to others be "you are wrong".

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What's silly is that every discussion on enworld is always a minor semantics dispute and those threads get the hottest and have the most traffic and last for hundreds of posts. Apparently minor semantic disputes is what we are about...

I'd like for that to change but I wouldn't bet on it happening. In order for that change to take place we are going to have to stop having our first reply to others be "you are wrong".

That's... a tad on the nose given the thread's purpose, isn't it?

Remove ads