D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Ahem, you might want to watch what you say when you're verify-ably lieing.

You might not that there is never once mention of them being healing spells, only that they are spells that give the Wizard options for healing.

I'm going to quote the important comments for this thread.

I just listed three of the best spells for it in the game.

None of those spells heal.

Of course they do. Let's look at Polymorph, for instance.
Your ally is low on health, to the point where the next couple of blows might drop them.
You cast Polymorph, they are now a Giant Ape.
They just went from 10-20 hp to 157 hp.
That's healing.

Or Leomund's Tiny Hut. The party as a whole is struggling, low on health and out of Hit Dice for you to heal them with a Rope Trick with.
You pop a Tiny Hut, they whole party can heal. Your one spell was just responsible for a full refreshing of all party resources, including hit points. That's healing.

Next time don't call someone a liar when they have proof they didn't lie.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's because the effect of the spell secures a short rest. Phantom Steed might allow you to escape the wolves, but it won't stop you from being shot, ambushed, struck by lightning, etc. All of which would prevent you completing a short rest.

Why do you ignore the existence of dispel magic in that assertion?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm going to quote the important comments for this thread.

Next time don't call someone a liar when they have proof they didn't lie.

And when did I ever call it a "healing (spell)"?

All of those are obviously meta healing, as obvious from that last quote.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You are ignoring the "up to" as well, though. "Up to" includes 60 feet. According to the PHB, while climbing (or swimming) each foot traveled costs two feet of movement. That means that, within the spells description, if the rope is 60 ft long, which it can be, then it would take a creature with 30 ft of movement two rounds to scale the rope, even without a skill check (15 ft movement, 15 ft dash action). So that is at least 12 seconds of time off of the specific length of the spell of 1 hour. That means that they would get to the safe space with 59 minutes and 48 seconds to rest. Again, according to the PHB, a short rest is at least 1 hour. 59 minutes and 48 seconds is not equal to 1 hour, so according to the rules as written, it would not be useable for a short rest unless the character could become immediately inside the safe space.

I have no problem ruling that the space inside of rope trick spell can be used as a short rest. Maybe that extra dimension has slightly different rules for time. However you cannot claim that by the rules as written that rope trick is designed for a short rest because everything about it denies a short rest by the nature of the spell.

Then go with the intent, and not the letter of the law. The intent is clearly to give a short rest.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Or you could say that the spell takes no position on a short rest at all and that some portion of the short rest will be outside of the safe space. No big deal as it will probably never matter.

Climbing any amount of rope is going to be more strenuous than eating and drinking, which will disturb the short rest.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That's a lot less controversial of a question. I think most of the nearly 90 voters on here would agree that rope trick does serve a healing/recovery role even if it also serves other roles. That wasn't the question I was concerned with though. You see an argument started on another thread when I said in passing that wizards don't get healing (spells) - which is something you agree with at least in the non-meta scope of which I was obviously referring. But the argument continued. Rope trick was ultimately cited as proof that wizards get healing (spells).

As this poll and arguments here confirm, most believe rope trick is not a healing spell. However, I'm also sure that most of these same posters would also agree that one of the roles rope trick serves is a healing/recovery role. If only that other poster who started arguing with me had simply agreed and said, yep rope trick isn't a healing spell but can serve a healing/recovery role. But he didn't. So the only way I could craft a pole to highlighted our difference of opinion was to make one about whether rope trick healed or whether it was a healing spell. Either way, the poll question wasn't spun, it was asked the only way it could have been asked to settle our disagreement.

I bet it did zero to settle your dispute, and appears to have started many new disputes. Does it still feel like this was the wisest route to take? I mean, if you think ability X serves a healing role, how is that meaningfully different than X is a healing ability, and why do you care about whatever that difference is in your mind enough to start an entire new thread to try and "settle" your disagreement to essentially "appeal to popularity"?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Climbing any amount of rope is going to be more strenuous than eating and drinking, which will disturb the short rest.

You're free to rule that, but I can't see that as leading to a good play experience for the kinds of people I DM for. This argument just sounds like puritanical forumism to me though.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They didn't hide anything. All but the most pedantic of DMs sees the 1 hour, and knows that's a short rest, and it ends there. This nonsense about it having to be a 60' foot rope (it does not) or it being stenuous activity to enter or exit (it is not) is what leads to this concluson that it's a poorly written spell. But, as I said, that's all nonsense. Obviously so to most people.

It's yet another example of poor wording on the part of WotC. They did it with Druids and Disintegrate. As worded, the shapechanged Druid turns to dust before reverting to human shape and regaining his hit points. The intent, though, was for them to be able to change back. Here RAW doesn't allow a short rest to happen due to the climb time for the rope, but the intent is clearly for the short rest to happen. Ever since WotC has taken over D&D they have had issues with how they word things.

It can be a 1' rope. You not need to climb anything. This objection is ridiculous.

But then you can't get in, at least not by the wording of the spell. By the spell as written, you have to climb to the top to be able to enter the space.

Remove ads