• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does the Artificer Suck?

Interesting. Never understood breaking up literature chronologically past looking at inspiration and social commentary for any giving piece of work.
It seems mostly a case of "what can we ask questions on". The idea that literature has a role in social commentary seems to have fallen between the cracks. There is a drift away from studying literature at all, to focus on semantics and linguistics. An awful lot of English teachers don't seem to read much fiction these days.
On the subject of the artificer within 5e one of the big complaints I see is it doesn't quite capture the essence that the class represents. Keeping to the literary theme, the class is supposedly the Terry Pratchett of classes. Equals part ridiculous, whimsical, magical, and serious. It's missing something that captures this.Did they lean to much on the ill-defined crafting system or does spontaneous casting make it bland?
I've seen it played, and it worked in pretty much the way you describe. But I think it relies a lot on the player to supply the whimsicality. Its hard to hard-code roleplaying into rules, and I'm not sure it's desirable.

Have you read the "Tasha's" comments? They pretty much described our artificer to a tee.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FYI, I've been to Arizona, I'm a fairly well educated (masters) American and my wife is more so. Neither of us had heard of CRESMET before. I think that is a more obscure reference than you realize. It was easy to google though.
Are either of you involved in STEM, though? Also, I worked there back in 2004-5, and like I said I believe it became part of a larger "center" after I left. shrug

dave2008

Legend
Are either of you involved in STEM, though? Also, I worked there back in 2004-5, and like I said I believe it became part of a larger "center" after I left. shrug
No, but neither is the majority of the population. I am an architect. My wife is a professor. My children do attend a STEM MS/HS though does that count ;)

Really though, resorting to restricting the knowledge of the acronym to STEM professions kinda proves it is more jargon than common knowledge which corroborates my point - it is not as well know as you seem to think. It may be well know in the circles you travel, but that is not the same thing. It is not like NASA or DNA.

EDIT: Ugh - I need to stop posting and get to work!

It is not like NASA or DNA.
Those are interesting choices. Because the first, if you write it in full, becomes more meaningful (although I expect some people might not know which nation is referred to in the "national" part), whilst the second, like laser, becomes less.

Last edited:

It seems mostly a case of "what can we ask questions on". The idea that literature has a role in social commentary seems to have fallen between the cracks. There is a drift away from studying literature at all, to focus on semantics and linguistics. An awful lot of English teachers don't seem to read much fiction these days.
This hurts my soul.
I've seen it played, and it worked in pretty much the way you describe. But I think it relies a lot on the player to supply the whimsicality. Its hard to hard-code roleplaying into rules, and I'm not sure it's desirable.

Have you read the "Tasha's" comments? They pretty much described our artificer to a tee.
Haven't read too much on general Tasha's commentary. I'm waiting for the rabble to calm down with the new flexible racial rules before jumping in.

I working on using a hybrid of the spellpoint rules and vancian magic for the artificer. One of the big complaints for that system was it made the spell casting feel too much like a utility belt or loading up on magical spell items which is exactly what this class is. The warlock it's proof that you can have a slightly alternate casting style within the game system so why not add a little mechanical flare that fully embraces the class.

Just haven't decided how to handle cantrips yet. Might fold them In magical tinkering.

This hurts my soul.
Yup, ours too (my wife is the English teacher). We have noticed for a while that the teaching of Literature in the US seems to be taken far more seriously and done at a higher level than here. Maybe there is stuff we do better though.🤷‍♂️
Haven't read too much on general Tasha's commentary. I'm waiting for the rabble to calm down with the new flexible racial rules before jumping in.

I working on using a hybrid of the spellpoint rules and vancian magic for the artificer. One of the big complaints for that system was it made the spell casting feel too much like a utility belt or loading up on magical spell items which is exactly what this class is. The warlock it's proof that you can have a slightly alternate casting style within the game system so why not add a little mechanical flare that fully embraces the class.

Just haven't decided how to handle cantrips yet. Might fold them In magical tinkering.
Just give it to the right player...

Yup, ours too (my wife is the English teacher). We have noticed for a while that the teaching of Literature in the US seems to be taken far more seriously and done at a higher level than here. Maybe there is stuff we do better though.🤷‍♂️
Do you still have civics? They removed it in about every country I've resided in other than Iceland of all places. 😐
Just give it to the right player...
It's still in early testing but the vancian rules work really well with spell points IMO. The basic goal is to have them working like a better worded spell storing item. they never are considered casting spells but they can produce spell effects which gives them a big advantage because they can't be counter spelled but it also is limited by their ability to properly plan ahead and deal with the perpetual material components.

Infusions can still hold these effects but are limited to one spell effect per item. So they could stick 3 ABs in their shield and be fine but if they wanted to fire off that grease spell they prepared they need to the item/object holding that particular effect.

Remove ads