• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the fast turnaround to dvd hurt movie sales?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Heh, almost the same experience, except, the chair I was in. The back was getting kicked. So I turned around, and just looked calmly and directly...for several seconds.

No more kicking.

You got to have The LOOK....LOL.

JoeGKushner said:
I almost got into a fist fight with a white trash mother of two whose children keept kicking me and she keept answering her cell phone during the Two Towers movie.

Best part was when she was yelling at me and I told her to shut her fing mouth and some dude in the back row was like, "You shouldn't swear at her in front of her kids" and I was like, "Hey dude, where was that attitude when she was cursing on her cell phone in front of the kids?" Shut him up quick.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I almost got into a fist fight with a white trash mother of two whose children keept kicking me and she keept answering her cell phone during the Two Towers movie.

Best part was when she was yelling at me and I told her to shut her fing mouth and some dude in the back row was like, "You shouldn't swear at her in front of her kids" and I was like, "Hey dude, where was that attitude when she was cursing on her cell phone in front of the kids?" Shut him up quick.

Next time this happens, nicely ask to see the manager of the theater, explain the situation, and you're practically garenteed to get up to 4 tickets (if you're alone) or more (1 for each person in your group) for any movie at another time. You might even luck out with free concessions.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I rather see the fast release as a response to rising box-office ticket prices. Unfortunately, theatres are expensive to maintain, and that cost is going up. Meanwhile, the cost of producign the DVD is going down.

A production company does not want to wait an entire year to get it's profits from a movie. So, once the ticket sales stop dropping off, it pays to put a new movie in the theatre, and try to milk the old movie for more $$ through DVD sales. And doing that faster means more money for the movie makers.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Heh, almost the same experience, except, the chair I was in. The back was getting kicked. So I turned around, and just looked calmly and directly...for several seconds.

No more kicking.

You got to have The LOOK....LOL.

My friend simply flashed his 14 inch bowie knife and a badge (which was fake, but how were they to know).

15 minutes later the kid kicked his seat again all he did was turn around, before he said a word the father grabbed his kids and moved to the FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR side of the theater.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
BrooklynKnight said:
People WONT be willing to pay 40$ for 2 people to see a movie on the big screen.

How much? That's not a future change - I can't imagine anyone I know paying anything like that to see a movie. I wouldn't even pay half that.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Well, i'm talking about the overall experience.

A movie ticket here is between 10 and 11.25 for an adult ticket. So for two people that right away is 20-23$.

Add in Soda (6$ for the biggest size, 4 for the smallest which is not worth getting) for another 12.

Thats 39 bucks. I havnt even counted popcorn or nachos. Though I dont really buy those anymore, i just stick to soda.

Fast Learner

First Post
(Edit: this was in response to Morrus) That's exaggerated. Here in the US the average price for 2 tickets is about $17, cheaper in smaller markets and more in larger (about $26 at the high end, I believe).

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Well, look where I live. I live in one of the biggest markets in the world, not just the united states. I'm pulling these prices directly from my local movie theater.

Here check this out...
https://www.fandango.com/TicketBoxOffice.aspx?row_count=839500048&mid=85802&tid=AABKC

For an adult ticket for serenity, tonight at 9:55pm is 10.25. (And i think fandango is giving a 1$ discount to cover the cost of buying it online, cause last week i payed 11.25 each for 2 tix).

Here is a link for a theater in California.
https://www.fandango.com/TicketBoxOffice.aspx?row_count=839974310&mid=82098&tid=AAJNL

9.25 for an adult ticket.

(I couldnt find any theaters in Phoenix through fandango that take online orders).

On average for tickets alone its 20$ for two people. And these are for the GOOD theaters with giant cushoined seats and what not. There are tons of mom and pop theaters upstate that are horrendously maintained where tix are still 5 or 6 bucks.

shaylon

First Post
Yes! For the reasons listed above. It costs less to own a DVD than to go out to the movie with a date anymore. What is the point? With High Def TV's, surround sound, etc. you can pretty closely replicate the theater experience without the inconisderate people that are talking or crying or breathing.

Yep, that about covers it.

-Shay

Captain Tagon

First Post
Wow. I didn't realize how expensive tickets were elsewhere. Here we usually go to matinees for $6 a pop or hit up the later shows for the $6.50 student discount.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads