• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the fast turnaround to dvd hurt movie sales?

IronWolf

blank
I rarely go to the movies anymore. I don't like to sit in crowded theatres when I could be watching it from the comfort of my recliner. It really doesn't have anything to do with quicker time to DVD, as I am a patient person. Of course it doesn't hurt, but it certainly isn't the reason I am staying away from the movies.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Captain Tagon said:
Wow. I didn't realize how expensive tickets were elsewhere. Here we usually go to matinees for $6 a pop or hit up the later shows for the $6.50 student discount.

Yep; one of the reasons some friends of mine don't go to the movies tht often is that it's them and two kids. Just walking into the theater costs them $32, and that's with no snacks. Me, I seldom if ever get snacks and only infrequently get a drink.

Dark Psion

First Post
Untill this year, my town did not have a theater, but this year we got an 8 screen Theater.

Opening night tickets cost $20 each! (But concessions were free)

While they quickly lowered the prices, they never got Serenity.

So much for going to the theater, I would rather buy the DVD. The DVD comes with extras that are not in the movie and some Like Daredevil or the Lord of the Rings are better on DVD. I can watch as often as I want, as I want, when I want.

Maybe the Matrix was right, it is about the illusion of control and I like to believe I am in control of at least one thing in my life. ;)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I think the fast turnaround is more due to poor ticket sales, which are the result of those plasma/hdtv/flat panel 50 inch or greater TVs. People have these massive entertainment centers and are staying at home to watch movies, the fast turnaround is to support them.

At one time (look at my old post) I thought it was price of DVDs, they are making a killing just on those sales and the only reason to go to the big screen was as an ads. I did not think that those big flat screens would become so common place, so quickly. Note: there have been some law suits on sale figures of DVDs, strange way they count them.

I also think gas prices have started to take their toll on the age group that goes to movies, those 15 to 23 year olds.

delericho

Legend
I'm sure the quick turn around to DVD doesn't help, but for my money the big reason why cinema attendances are falling is that there are so few good movies being produced.

The last halfway decent action film I can think of was Bad Boys II, which wasn't particularly great. (Watch the two one after another, and the sequel really suffers.) The last one that was actually good was, what, the Rock? That's going back 9 years.

Produce good enough films, and people will go to the cinema. Don't produce them, and they won't.

(Why are action films key? Special effects. The bigger the effects, the more the film gains from the big screen. A romantic comedy works just as well on the small screen. Likewise most other types of film.)

Chaldfont

First Post
BrooklynKnight said:
Well, i'm talking about the overall experience.

A movie ticket here is between 10 and 11.25 for an adult ticket. So for two people that right away is 20-23$.

Add in Soda (6$ for the biggest size, 4 for the smallest which is not worth getting) for another 12.

Thats 39 bucks. I havnt even counted popcorn or nachos. Though I dont really buy those anymore, i just stick to soda.

You need to learn the fine art of sneaking food into a theatre. I honed my skills during my poor high school and college years. With the right coat, you can sneak in a six pack of cans (your choice of soda or beer) and a pound of M&Ms.

Once, my dad smuggled in a quarter pounder with cheese. The people sitting in front of him were baffled to smell McD's in a movie theater.

Just don't bring glass beer bottles. Trust me, I know from experience.

MOVIE: "The secret of the Stargate is..."
BEER BOTTLE: rolling from the raised back of the theater all the way to the front "CLINKITY-CLINK-CLINK-CLINK!!"

Ranger REG

Explorer
Just_Hal said:
What do ya think?
$8 for a movie ticket or wait 2 months and for $16 get the 2 disc dvd of it?
Actually, I go during matinee time, where the ticket price is almost cut down by half. If I like the movie, then I will get the DVD so I can watch repeatedly and not have to worry about thirsting for a $4 sixteen-ounce soft drink.

Luckily, got a theater here that shows old movies (and by that I mean, Sky High is showing at that theater now rather than in the past summer) for $1 ticket price (50 cents matinee price). For me this is a good way to catch up on what I missed at the same time, it would be just a week or two away before the DVD will be released, so I'm previewing the movie before buying it on DVD.

Hate to say this but along with the high-priced concession snacks, theaters are using obsolete technology. Film reel is out, dude.

Chaldfont said:
You need to learn the fine art of sneaking food into a theatre.
I used to go out with this girl in high school--we'd pack a ton of stuff in a bag, put a maternity shirt on her, and she'd stuff it under her shirt, to look like she was really pregnant.

Never had anyone wonder how we had a baby in the theater, luckily.

Chaldfont said:
You need to learn the fine art of sneaking food into a theatre. I honed my skills during my poor high school and college years. With the right coat, you can sneak in a six pack of cans (your choice of soda or beer) and a pound of M&Ms.

Coat?! Hah! I have a friend who can carry two 2-liters in his trouser pockets! Not even noticable either. Finally a use for the ultra baggy clothes. :)

Honestly, I didn't know anyone was actually crazy enough to pay for food at the theaters anymore. The tickets are bad enough, and I can go 2 hours without a drink/snack.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I think *movies* are hurting movie sales, at least this year. With a few exceptions, there have been a lot of weak offerings in 2005.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads