• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the fast turnaround to dvd hurt movie sales?

Numion

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
As somebody who likes going to movies, I'm saddened that the movie industry is shifting towards home theater systems and away from the big screen. While I definately agree with the above posters that cell phone gabbers and noisy kids are irritating, there's nothing quite like seeing a good movie on the big screen with an audiance that is clearly excited to be there. This is why I rank my opening night viewing of Star Wars Episode I as one of the top moviegoing experiences of my life despite the venomous hatred some people have for the film.

The cell phone problem will go away. When they were becoming popular, there were disturbances in theatres, but there hasn't been a single phone ringing in what, 10 movies I been to. Or maybe my experience is just uncommon. Anyway, the big ads before the movie that tell you to shut the phone down seem to work :\ (My experience is in Finland, which may have a couple of years head start on the cell phone culture, thanks to Nokia)

And, big theaters aren't going to go away. They may diminish in numbers, but those that enjoy the big screen can do so in the future. Where there is demand, there's someone to satisfy that demand.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Just_Hal said:
I do not go to movies very much anymore, have my kids a lot and they come to dvd so fast now, do ya think that hurts the box office #'s.
DVD sales -- in general -- is putting a dent in movie ticket sales, now that the concept of home theater system is real and available. I wouldn't be surprised if future homebuyers want a room dedicated for the home theater system (formerly called a TV room or a den).

The movie theater industries will have to find other ways of bringing in movie audience. It can't hurt to lower them concession snack prices down a bit.

Remove ads