D&D 5E Does the Hand of Vecna in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus mean Vecna is now an FR God too?

jgsugden

Legend
Nope, it's from the end of the ... It's that Vecna.
Spoilers!

Vecna is from Greyhawk. The Hand may have traveled. Lore in an individual setting may differ from what a DM decides is the true reality in their setting.

I'm beginning to think it is only a matter of time before Exandria becomes an official D&D setting owned by WotC. There is a lot in it for both WotC and the Critical Role team.

Avernus isn't in Realmspace, but in the Outer Planes shared by the whole Material Plane. The Hand of Vecna was already in the DMG.

More interesting is the explicit call-out of Exandria and the events with Vox Machina there, making all of Critical Role full D&D Canon.
I think all D&D worlds are some flavor of canon.

Heck, I consider the world of Pathfinder canon in D&D.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The takeaway here is that Vecna is still not a god of Abeir-Toril, but the multiverse contains worlds where he is a god.

Vecna still has no influence there, unless Ao decides to pencil him in on a tablet.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, but he wasn't in Realmspace, but is he now?
Nope. He is exactly the same as he ever was. The Hells connect to all worlds (except Eberron and maybe Athas idk my Dark Sun lore), though, so a thing from Greyhawk or Exandria can be encountered by Faerunian adventurers who go to the Hells.

Yup. Avenus is part of the multiverse, not part of the Forgotten Realms. Greyhawk and Exandria are part of the same multiverse, also connecting to Avernus. Vecna might be able to travel to the Forgotten Realms, but that wouldn't make him a god in that setting (which would make him vulnerable, so he probably wouldn't want to).

Zardnaar

Legend
Unless they have updated or ignore the rules I don't think Vecna can get to Faerun as Ao can block him.

He can send an avatar though iirc.

Remove ads