D&D 5E Does the Variant Human need a boost now after Tasha's changes

ScuroNotte

Explorer
With the other Races being able to place their bonuses any where, that makes Humans the weakest choice. The variant Human +1 to any 2 scores is trivial, even with the bonus feat at first level. Selecting an ASI boost for 1st level only makes your character on par with the other races for ability score improvement. However, humans are not in the stadium, let alone the game, when it comes to the additional skills, weapons, spells, abilities, etc that the other races get.

If you agree, what other feature should be offered?

Ace

Adventurer
With the other Races being able to place their bonuses any where, that makes Humans the weakest choice. The variant Human +1 to any 2 scores is trivial, even with the bonus feat at first level. Selecting an ASI boost for 1st level only makes your character on par with the other races for ability score improvement. However, humans are not in the stadium, let alone the game, when it comes to the additional skills, weapons, spells, abilities, etc that the other races get.

If you agree, what other feature should be offered?
I've seen people suggest just using the standard human and allowing a bonus feat a skill. This might be a little strong but I think its roughly on par with Half Elves.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
no ability bonuses:

common language,
2 bonus feats.

This represents human as ultimate versatile race.
You can get 2 half feats to catch up a little with ability scores and 2 minor features
or two excelent features and bad scores(needing atleast 3 ASIs to max your primary).

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
But now that a custom race can start with a feat and with Darkvision they seem to be better than Vhuman for anyone with a class that only needs one 16.

But now that a custom race can start with a feat and with Darkvision they seem to be better than Vhuman for anyone with a class that only needs one 16.

Then play one then, and call it a human.

I'm not seeing a race with 2 x +1's, a feat and a skill is that much different to 1 x +2, a feat and a skill or darkvision (and being Small if thats your thing).

Remove ads