Does your gaming group use an online groups / boards?

Elodan

Adventurer
We've used Yahoo groups for years to do such things as: coordinating game nights, tracking of who owns what board games, and general discussions about games and life. While we like the features Yahoo has (discussions, calendar, limited file sharing, etc.), we've found them less friendly since the "Neo" redesign. We've been playing with Google Communities which not everyone likes.

Looking to see if others do the same. If so, what do you use and what do you like / dislike?

Thanks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The one time I was in a tabletop group who used such, ti was a bit of a failure. We simply didn't *need* it - simple e-mail handled scheduling as well as it needed to be handled, and while there were ideas of keeping lots of game inforamtion online, I was the only one who did regular updates, and I wasn't even the GM for the game.

Ryujin

Legend
Tried using Yahoo Groups for a while, but it didn't really provide us with anything that simple email wouldn't already. We've found applications that assist with in-play communication, like Skype and virtual tabletops like Fantasy Grounds, are far more useful. I set our usual play space up with a webcam and conference puck for that reason, and we have had a couple of sessions in which people played from remote locations, with only a little more difficulty than if they were actually in the room.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Private Facebook groups are most used by folks in my regular gang. Several have pages for various local gaming organizations with local gamedays and conventions. A couple of the guys who also use Roll20 for online gaming sometimes share info via that method.

Remove ads