• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does your group have a "main character"?

Sidereal Knight

First Post
I have been playing with the same group for over 6 years. Over time, it has become apparent that one of the players is the "main character" of our story. For ease of use, let's call this player "Jim" (not his real name).

Jim's character is the only one of the characters from the original group to still be in active play. (Yes, 6 years and we're still in the same game... it's a long story.) As far as game mechanics, this character is the highest level. He also has the most backstory, the most complex relations with NPCs, the most political connections... you get the idea. If this were a novel, he'd be the protagonist.

This isn't to say the the DM ignores the rest of us. We all get "screen time" at the table, and we all get equal shares of magic and monetary rewards. But Jim's character provides the hooks for 85% - 90% of the missions for the group. If we have two paths to take, the one that is more to Jim's advantage is always the one presented as the more viable option.

In my mind, the thing that is exacerbating the situation is Jim's new dragon cohort. It's a very powerful addition to the party, and one that will change the dynamic of play. This addition was announced last week... not brought up for discussion ("What do you guys think of this idea?") but announced ("Here's what is happening.")

I know I'm not the only one to notice this pattern. In the last year, two of the regular players left the group or took extended leave after expressing feelings that their attempts to set up side plotlines or adventure hooks were never acted on by the DM.

I have tried to provide plot hooks from my own character's background, but the DM hasn't acted on them or encouraged "off-camera" activities to provide more background.

Has anyone else played in a group where this kind of apparent favoritism occurred? How do you deal with it?

Crothian

First Post
Talk very blunted out of game with the DM and the all the palyers. Let them know exactly how you feel and cite examples. It's your game too, and if it not as fun for you and the others you have a right to speak up and get this situation resolved.

Dark Jezter

First Post
D&D is supposed to be a group activity. If a single PC is the focus of all the adventures and plot hooks, then your DM needs a good talking to.

Sidereal Knight

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Once or twice a year, we have "meta" sessions to talk about the course of the game and what we would like to have happen, etc.

In the last one, one of the former players expressed these concerns (managing somehow to do so in a way that it wasn't at all confrontational). The DM took a lot of notes, expressed that he didn't realize that this was happening, etc., etc. And nothing changed.

When the current adventure winds down, I think this might be a good time to suggest another "meta" session. Gods above, I hate confrontations.

Last edited:

Shallown

First Post
The best solution is communicating this to the GM. Don't gang up on them or the player. Suggest, to prove the point, Putting "Jim's" character aside for a while and let him play another for like 4 sessions. Then see what happens. Always cite examples and be calm. Regardless of how other people react you are responsible for your actions and attitude. If you can point it out and make it obvious what is wrong there is little else to be done. Just hope it resolves in an equitable fashion.

later

dshai527

First Post
I have often found that as my games run their course a "main character" of sorts seems to emerge. This main character may change from time to time, but in a heavy fatality game it may be the only thing that keeps the plot going. I, however, never do it intentionally, or focus the game on it, nor would I keep someone else from fully playing his characters backstory. Many of my players also would choose to retire the character for a time if their power level was exceeding the rest of the group or they allow me to make that character a permanent NPC in my world.

I must agree with the others that a group discussion needs to occur to sort things out. The game should be fun for all, with equal opportunities to be in the limelight.

Sidereal Knight

First Post
Shallown said:
Suggest, to prove the point, Putting "Jim's" character aside for a while and let him play another for like 4 sessions. Then see what happens.

Honestly, I don't see this happening. Jim is this character.

I agree with what you say about stating the facts (as I see them) calmly, without bashing or ganging up on the folks in question.

Epametheus

First Post
I've seen it happen sometimes. It usually happens either a) because the "main character" is grossly more powerful than the rest of the party, or b) outright DM favoritism.

B) can be nasty, since often the DM doesn't seem to consciously aware that he's doing it.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well unless all the other players have horrible backgrounds that don't help the DM at all create stories then your DM is being unfair.

For a time we had one player getting more "plot time" but she rp'ed it weakly and I think the DM decided against stretching it out. Even when she did get more attention we didn't mind as much as you guys do...

PS... Nope... just remembered an Earthdawn Campaign that sunk completely with this one Player gets too much plot and DM time... nasty...

Sidereal Knight

First Post
Epametheus said:
I've seen it happen sometimes. It usually happens either a) because the "main character" is grossly more powerful than the rest of the party, or b) outright DM favoritism.

B) can be nasty, since often the DM doesn't seem to consciously aware that he's doing it.
It might be a combination of the two.

The DM has a policy that new characters come in at 3rd level so that "the player can develop the character's abilities and background." This ensures that the older PCs are always going to be more powerful than newer ones.

I think that option B might be a factor because the player and the DM have been good friends for over 20 years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads