D&D 5E Does your group use feats?

Does your group use feats?

BlivetWidget

Explorer
Strong point. Also, even if your spell does take a save, you may be able to target it against a victim who has a low bonus (or even penalty) to that save.

Your caster stat also improves you cantrips, though - or do you not find yourself stooping to cast cantrips often?

Well, it improves the odds for your attack/save cantrips. Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Mending, etc. don't care about stats. But I know you meant for combat, and I agree that it does. But an ASI only improves their hit odds by 5%. Even if you're concerned about cantrip hit odds, I think a case could still be made for picking up more cantrips through Magic Initiate so you have access to more damage types or can target different stats, which will often help you more than 5%.

As a player, I actually rely heavily on damaging cantrips because spell slots are such a limited resource. But I don't play the wizard who's there to win every small fight. So unless I think the team can't handle it, I'm just going to hang back and toss in some cantrips so I'm not being useless. If it's really important, I'm probably concentrating on a spell. Another important note is that you burn through spell slots a lot slower if you're using some of those great spells like Polymorph or Animate Objects. You can eat through a lot of spell slots with Fireballs and Vitriolic Spheres, but a single Polymorph can usually get you through an encounter (the Dodge action helps if you can't find good cover).

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Well, it improves the odds for your attack/save cantrips. Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Mending, etc. don't care about stats. But I know you meant for combat, and I agree that it does. But an ASI only improves their hit odds by 5%. Even if you're concerned about cantrip hit odds, I think a case could still be made for picking up more cantrips through Magic Initiate so you have access to more damage types or can target different stats, which will often help you more than 5%.

As a player, I actually rely heavily on damaging cantrips because spell slots are such a limited resource. But I don't play the wizard who's there to win every small fight. So unless I think the team can't handle it, I'm just going to hang back and toss in some cantrips so I'm not being useless. If it's really important, I'm probably concentrating on a spell. Another important note is that you burn through spell slots a lot slower if you're using some of those great spells like Polymorph or Animate Objects. You can eat through a lot of spell slots with Fireballs and Vitriolic Spheres, but a single Polymorph can usually get you through an encounter (the Dodge action helps if you can't find good cover).

That's how I tend to play my non-bladesinger wizards as well.

Also - depending on stats and such I tend to pick up Warcaster or Resislient Con to help Concentration Saves. Or Lucky. Though since most of my wizards are Variant Humans, I've usually got that covered either at the start or by 4th level, then at 8th/12th I'm picking up an ASI

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'd put some very heavy caveats on this claim. I would put three feats on a wizard before I went for a single ASI. Most of the great wizard spells just happen. To name only a few: Shield, Misty Step, Tiny Hut, Polymorph as a buff, Animate Objects, Wall of Force, Simulacrum, Maze, ... you don't even have to pick up dice of any kind to successfully cast these amazing spells.

Given the choice between making the wizard's save DC just 5% better when it's not needed for most of the great spells anyway (in or out of combat)... or taking a feat, there are some very attractive options for feats. Resilient for those Con saves, Magic Initiate for more cantrips and an extra first level spell, etc. The opportunity cost is just so low.

Some of the level 2-5 control spells totally trivialize encounters to a much greater extent than the level 2-5 spells you mentioned. DC is important for these spells.

Salthorae

Currently allowed and 2 of the 6 players took feats.

Of course that means currently allowed and 4/6 did not.

As in the 4/6 took ASI's and are only planning on taking ASI's or as in the 4/6 took ASI's so far, but plan on taking feats later?

Or something other than that perhaps?

I'm just always fascinated by people who have access to feats in a game and choose not to use them at all.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As in the 4/6 took ASI's and are only planning on taking ASI's or as in the 4/6 took ASI's so far, but plan on taking feats later?

I'm just always fascinated by people who have access to feats in a game and choose not to use them at all.

it’s all situational. My last wizard took war caster as soon as possible because he found himself the target of a lot of attacks and did a lot of concentration spells as his thing. My current wizard went with ASI because CONCENTRATION IS FOR WEAKLINGS AND IM GONNA BLAST EVERYTHING TO HELL

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

I don't know for sure, but likely they won't pick them at all as the campaign will end before level 12.

But honestly my players can barely be bothered to crack open a game book much less examine a list of feats. We could play without ASIs and it wouldn't make much of a difference to them.

Salthorae

I don't know for sure, but likely they won't pick them at all as the campaign will end before level 12.

But honestly my players can barely be bothered to crack open a game book much less examine a list of feats. We could play without ASIs and it wouldn't make much of a difference to them.
Interesting...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Interesting...
Yup.

Apart from me everyone is brand new to the game (even the DM). I've taken 2 feats and one other player took Dual Welder after I explained (several times) that if she wanted her player to fight with 2 battleaxes it would help very much.

I sometimes regret this decision after I have to explain how extra attack and bonus actions work every other session.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

In 5E, 5% can be make or break in the long run, if the players are pushed. See also, Champion's extended crit range which is huge over time.

As to the poll, no never. I had a DM allow them in a game once, but nobody took the option, even the Human PCs were standard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases