OSR Dolmenwood to be published as a standalone game

I like the simplicity of race-as-class, where (in OSE) you just have a two page spread with all your possible character abilities. Gavin was saying maybe he would include that option as a pdf which would be great.

Oddly, I'm most curious about this:

Treasure Types​

These will be replaced by a new system of letter codes and treasure tables separately listing Coins, Riches (gems, jewellery, art objects), and Magic. Each list will be sorted in order of average value, making it easy to choose a treasure type by looking down the list. (There'll be a 1:1 conversion guide from the B/X treasure types, for those who need it.)

Reason: The B/X treasure types don't follow any kind of pattern, making them difficult to understand and use.

The treasure tables are very non-intuitive for me. The OSR is all about finding the surprising underlying logic behind certain arcane rules or procedures, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone figure out exactly why the treasure tables are the way they are, or whether they really need to be so complicated. In fact I'd like to do away with the "you find 612ep and 14 quartz gems" style of dungeon keying without doing away with xp-for-treasure all together.

Separately, the amount of complaining on the Necrotic Gnome discord right now is crazy. It bears a large resemblance to the anxiety about onednd and compatibility. Which is ironic, because you would expect this to be a group of people who don't play by the book or put too much faith in "official" products (from wotc or another source)...

Cruentus

Adventurer
I really love OSE Advanced and was a patreon supporter of Dolmenwood for a time, and liked a lot of it, but I’m mining it for home use, and would be unlikely to run Dolmenwood as a campaign itself. I do like the changes referenced above as well.

I’m still waiting for Carcass Crawler #3. I have the first two, and love the optional content, much of which seems to have made its way into Dolmenwood. Anyone know whether CC3 is going to ever be released?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I’m still waiting for Carcass Crawler #3. I have the first two, and love the optional content, much of which seems to have made its way into Dolmenwood. Anyone know whether CC3 is going to ever be released?
Backers of the last boxset Kickstarter got their copies. I’ve had mine for a little while. I assume generally availability was delayed due to the OGL mess (since it’s listed as early ’23 on the Necrotic Gnome website).

Arilyn

Hero
Separately, the amount of complaining on the Necrotic Gnome discord right now is crazy. It bears a large resemblance to the anxiety about onednd and compatibility. Which is ironic, because you would expect this to be a group of people who don't play by the book or put too much faith in "official" products (from wotc or another source)...
I popped over to read Gavin's changes. They look really good. Some of them were introduced in Carcass Crawler, so shouldn't be too shocking.

And yes, the complaining. I agree with you. This is a group of people who I assume are tinkering a lot with house rules anyway. OSE is so easy to tinker with. And if someone hates a particular change, use the OSE version. The important piece is the Dolmenwood setting after all.

Anyway, I'm really excited for Dolmenwood. Have been looking forward to it for a long time. Guess I can wait a few extra months!

kenada

Legend
Supporter

Gavin posted an update today on the progress of Dolmenwood. The big news is the Kickstarter is planned for this summer (probably July or August).

Remove ads