• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doom of Listenshire, tell me about it!

Olaf the Stout said:
Do you have any idea of how well Doom (or A Family Affair and The Diamond Fortress for that matter) sold in comparison to other Necromancer or Kenzer adventures?

Well, I don't have access to many numbers (and probably wouldn't be allowed to share what numbers I have). I'm not spilling any great company secret, however, if I say that the Kenzer modules didn't sell as well, across the board, as most other Necromancer material. :(

Mouseferatu said:
Well, I don't have access to many numbers (and probably wouldn't be allowed to share what numbers I have). I'm not spilling any great company secret, however, if I say that the Kenzer modules didn't sell as well, across the board, as most other Necromancer material. :(

Bad luck. At least you know that word of mouth is still pushing the sales along. Probably too little, too late but it's better than nothing.

Olaf the Stout

catsclaw227

First Post
Well, I've done my share. I own a few of the Kenzer/Necro modules, but it's really only on the reputation of Necromancer games and it's authors. As far as the Kenzer/Necro books go, I have:

A Family Affair - print
Six Spheres of Zailhhess - PDF
Doom of Listenshire - PDF
Diamond Fortress - PDF
Mother of All Treasure Tables - PDF
Shades of Gray - PDF
Tower of Jhedopar - PDF

For a while there, I thought that Mother of all Encounter Tables and Crystal Skull (cool module) were Kenzer, but I think these were some of the last Troll Lord publications. I have both of those in print.

Oh -- and of course many of the Necro classics (new and old) too.

As you can see, PDF is my preferred adventure product medium, but in many cases I will own the print and the PDF (like RARe, Ptolus, Wilderlands, etc), all legit and all paid by me.

This whole double buying thing is a drag, but I find that the print is best to curl up, take notes in, and read on the sofa... and the PDF for in game play -- I also cut/paste stuff for my players.

I wish that print product purchasers could get a discount on PDF versions.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
Also -- is the misspelling of "Six Spheres of Zailhhess" on the cover of the module, or all over the Kenzer site?

The cover on the Kenzer site shows: "Six Spheres of Zailhhess" (with an L in the name ZAILHHESS), and in all the copy on the Kenzer site, it says "Six Spheres of Zaihhess". My PDF cover says ""Six Spheres of Zaihhess" (without the L), but in many places in the module, it says "Zailhess" and "Zaihhess" in different places.

DrNilesCrane

First Post
Sounds interesting...added it my DriveThru cart as well for my next round o' buyin'. :)

EDIT:

Question - what level would a typical group advance to and how long would the adventure take to run (ballpark)?

Vanye

Explorer
Just based on the description and Ari's name :) I'm interested in getting it.

I'm thinking of maybe using it to get my PC's into the CITY OF THE SPIDER QUEEN module from WOTC. Killing off Randall Morn in Daggerdale, and having the drow be involved in creating the chaos so that what they're doing has just a bit more cover...

If anyone is familiiar with the module, and the Realms, do you think this would be a difficult conversion? Id hate to drop my limited budget on it, only to find it didn't work out. :(

catsclaw227 said:
Well, I've done my share. I own a few of the Kenzer/Necro modules, but it's really only on the reputation of Necromancer games and it's authors. As far as the Kenzer/Necro books go, I have:

A Family Affair - print
Six Spheres of Zailhhess - PDF
Doom of Listenshire - PDF
Diamond Fortress - PDF
Mother of All Treasure Tables - PDF
Shades of Gray - PDF
Tower of Jhedopar - PDF

For a while there, I thought that Mother of all Encounter Tables and Crystal Skull (cool module) were Kenzer, but I think these were some of the last Troll Lord publications. I have both of those in print.

Oh -- and of course many of the Necro classics (new and old) too.

As you can see, PDF is my preferred adventure product medium, but in many cases I will own the print and the PDF (like RARe, Ptolus, Wilderlands, etc), all legit and all paid by me.

This whole double buying thing is a drag, but I find that the print is best to curl up, take notes in, and read on the sofa... and the PDF for in game play -- I also cut/paste stuff for my players.

I wish that print product purchasers could get a discount on PDF versions.

catsclaw227, have you run "The Crystal Skull" before? If so, what did you think of it? I was thinking of running it once my group finishes off the last of the Freeport trilogy. So far I have read the first couple of chapters and it seems like, at least at the start of the adventure, it leaves a lot in the GM's hands to connect the dots so to speak.

For instance, it seems a little vague to me as to how the PC's manage to find the Nightshade Thieve's Guild that is supposedly well hidden in the sewers. The easiest way seems for the sole remaining member of the Adderfang Thieve's, "The Black Rat" to show them the way, but even then the GM has to figure out a way for the PC's to find him!

Olaf the Stout

Olaf the Stout

DrNilesCrane said:
Question - what level would a typical group advance to and how long would the adventure take to run (ballpark)?

Well, the module's written for a party averaging 5th level to start with. While it's been a while since I wrote it, and thus I could be misremembering, I think we calculated that the characters would most likely reach 7th level, though it's possible to finish it at 6th or 8th.

Vanye

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
For instance, it seems a little vague to me as to how the PC's manage to find the Nightshade Thieve's Guild that is supposedly well hidden in the sewers. The easiest way seems for the sole remaining member of the Adderfang Thieve's, "The Black Rat" to show them the way, but even then the GM has to figure out a way for the PC's to find him!

Not having read the module, I don't know the plotline, but I'm guessing the reason he's the sole remainging member of the Adderfangs is that the Nightshaders wiped them out? If so, maybe he hears about some people poking into things that might lead to the Nightshades, and so HE finds the party, and points them in the right direction.

Vanye said:
Not having read the module, I don't know the plotline, but I'm guessing the reason he's the sole remainging member of the Adderfangs is that the Nightshaders wiped them out? If so, maybe he hears about some people poking into things that might lead to the Nightshades, and so HE finds the party, and points them in the right direction.

That's what I figured I'd do if the PC's were having trouble finding the entrance to the Nightshades Guild. However reading the module it almost seems to assume that the PC's just happen across the building that "The Black Rat" is in during the course of their investigations or it is up to the GM to make up some information that someone gives them in order to find him. If it is the latter then that seems like a little poor for a prewritten module, especially if they don't tell you that.

The other way the PC's could possible find the Nightshade Guild is by searching around in the sewers. However the sewers aren't exactly small and the entrance is a secret door. The PC's would have to be incredibly lucky or spend a long time in the sewers searching for the secret door to find it.

I guess I could have someone else give them the details of where to find it in exchange for some $$$ but I'm just a little disappointed that the module is kind of silent on how the PC's actually come across a part of the adventure that is basically vital for them to succeed. Sure I could come up with the ideas myself but then you do wonder why you bought a written adventure in the first place then.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads