• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doom of Listenshire, tell me about it!

Vanye

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
Sure I could come up with the ideas myself but then you do wonder why you bought a written adventure in the first place then.

As a stout framework to hang plots, items, and PC's from?
:D

Thomas Percy

First Post
The Doom of Listonshire 4/5

The adventure takes place mainly in the wilderness: forests, lakeshores, caverns, haunted hamlets and ruins. That's what I like, especially when I'm playing ranger or druid character.

Main theme of the adventure is a searching for classical three pieces of map / talisman / put-what-you-need; in this case the PCs are looking for missing (in monsters' ambush) little princess (rightful successor to the throne), her faithful maid-in-waiting, and her magical ring.

The PC must explore three of twelve described adventure sites to win, but there are a lot of hooks leading to other sites. They can explore the sites in unlimited order, you (as the DM) can even determine randomly where lady-in-waiting and ring are.

The adventure is good mix of tracking, fighting, roleplaying, dungeon crawling, sneaking, and mystery-solving (simple detective work). A mood of the adventure resembles Baldur's Gate 1 crpg (a lot of small subquests in the wild).

My favorite part is "The Abandoned Village" containing very creative use of "animated objects" in horror mood (I'm seroius).

From the other side, I don't like "The Ruins of Old Liston Keep" mini-dungeon, because there are nearly twenty identical rooms containing identic foes - everyone of them so stupid to wait for the PC instead of attacking in large group. And there is a great hall smaller than my toilet.

What I'll add to the adventure?
1. A description of the place where the monsters ambushed the duke. It's natural to begin in this place, so I don't understand why there is no word about it.
2. Sidekick of main enemy is some tracker-killer. The PCs hear about him a lot of times, but I think he can be "more recurring villain" than single ambush leader. I mean a duo like Emperor and Vader.

From editorial point of view I love that Ari Marmell has used so many monsters from Necromancer Games "Tome of Horrors" - it's good to see new bad guys even if you are experienced player (as my players are). You (as the DM) can find all statblock needed to run the adventure in DoL. That's a shame, the statblocks are in old format "AC23fgdgjhp34dffgFort23iuelf".

I like new magic items and new monsters from DoL.

So, I recommed this adventure for everyone who don't like dungeon crawl (tactical or kick in the door) games only.

glass

(he, him)
catsclaw227 said:
And Ari -- any Wilderlands suggestions? My party is currently in Warwick, born and bred there.
There is a 'Warwick' in the Wilderlands? I might have to check that out, as I am currently in the real one*!

What is it like in the box? :D

glass.

* Well, actually I am in Leamington Spa, but Warwick is only about a mile away. Close enough, I figured!

DrNilesCrane

First Post
I picked up the PDF and agree with Thomas Percy's review. The adventure felt very "traditional" in that it would be a good adventure to introduce new players to D&D with: not too complex, lots of different opportunities to investigate/role-play/kill stuff, and a lot of the action is player driven.

Minor nitpick that almost no one will care about: the maps are fairly "eh" (almost useless for digital projection mapping) on detail, but if you redraw them, who cares.

Overall, worth the purchase! :)

Thomas Percy

First Post
Oinodaemon, Lord of Plague, demon prince of all plagues - he's one of evil guys of this story.
He's called that, because Necromancer games rescect OGL,
but...
What is his counterpart in D&D (Hordes of the Abyss etc.)?

Thomas Percy said:
Oinodaemon, Lord of Plague, demon prince of all plagues - he's one of evil guys of this story.
He's called that, because Necromancer games rescect OGL,
but...
What is his counterpart in D&D (Hordes of the Abyss etc.)?

Anthraxus. I don't think he's been mentioned by name in 3E (though I could be wrong), but he was a major player among the lower planes in 1E and 2E.

Treebore

First Post
Its still my favorite mod out of the Kenzer/Necromancer ones so far, expect Tower fo J. and Shades of Grey to give you a run for your money.

I like Six Spheres and Coils of Set a good bit as well, except I'll have to re-write and add a bit for me to be happy to run them.

I really like FAmily Affair, and wish I would hear people talk about it more. I don't know, I seem to inherently like modules written by women anyways.

Remove ads