Doom of Listenshire, tell me about it!

catsclaw227

First Post
I have been contemplating this module to run in the Wilderlands, but before I buy the PDF, I'd like to get a feel from some people that have run it / played in it.

I know it was written by Mouseferatu (Ari Marmell) and he thinks it is one of his best, according to posts at Necromancer Games' forums. By itself, that's a pretty damn good endorsement since I usually like his stuff, but I'd like to hear some words from the DMs and players in this module.

And Ari -- any Wilderlands suggestions? My party is currently in Warwick, born and bred there.

I would post it over at necromancer games' forums, but I am afraid that the forum for this module doesn't get much traffic. :(

Catsclaw

catsclaw227

First Post
FYI -- here are some information and some links to it:

Doom of Listenshire on DTRPG.com

liston_cover_s.jpg

The Duke is Dead. Can You Save the Duchy?
A distant province on the frontier of civilization, Listonshire mourns a beloved leader, cut down by a dark curse that bedevils the region with ill luck, misery, an ambitious baron and all manner of hideous monsters. Its people stay in their homes, and trade has ground almost to a halt. Only a few know the truth: That one of the duke's heirs survives, and can prevent the treacherous baron from taking the throne. Only these few dare speak up and call for help. They only await stalwart heroes to answer them.

An Unpredictable Quest in a Dozen Parts
Listonshire is designed as the ultimate adventuring ground. A dozen different locations, wilderness and dungeon, full of conversation and combat, stand between the heroes and success. To restore the ducal family to power, they need find not merely the missing heir, but proof of her right to rule, and evidence of the baron's deceit. They must comb tree and hillside, lake and catacomb; face monsters both familiar and utterly alien; and survive the wrath of the being from whose power the curse is drawn: The Oinodaemon, Lord of Plagues.

The Doom of Listonshire also contains a simple system of random determination, allowing the DM to place the party's goals in random locations, or as he chooses, making this a different adventure each time it's played!

catsclaw227 said:
And Ari -- any Wilderlands suggestions? My party is currently in Warwick, born and bred there.

Well, I'll be honest. While I own the Wilderlands boxed set, I haven't actually had the chance to read it yet. :heh: So I don't actually have any suggestions to give you along those lines.

I'd be delighted to see what other people have to say, though, or to answer any questions you might have about the module specifically. :)

Edit to add: Incidentally, you may want to go ahead and post this to the thread on the Necro forums in addition to having it here. I know there are a few people over there who have actually played through the module, even if traffic in the forum is light.

Last edited:

SgtHulka

First Post
I haven't had a chance to run this module yet, but I own it and have read it. These are the things I like about it off the top of my head:

1) Vibe. Good old-fashioned medieval foes like ogres and fey. A family curse. Dark Knights (I mean the living, breathing kind) combing the countryside for something. This adventure could easily be set in a "hard" dark ages setting like Harn. Oppressive and violent. The Tharbrian Coast would be perfect -- it almost feels like it was custom-made for it.

2) Pure D&D. Despite a dark ages vibe and some interesting new monsters, this module is D&D through and through. Ari knows his stuff -- there are no gaping holes (at least at first read) where D&D spells or races will break it. The ubiquitous Speak With Dead is, in fact, fairly important for the module's completion. And although it's a human land with mostly human residents, it's not as if elves, dwarves, gnomes, hobbits and even half-orcs can't adventure here.

3) Structure. A number of mini-adventures strung together with a common plot and goal. But unlike a typical "adventure path" structure, the mini-adventures are non-linear. There isn't one that's supposed to be played "first" and one that's supposed to be played "last". The characters get to each one when they decide to get to them, and only when they've completed a critical mass can they solve the mystery and lift the curse.

4) Lots to do. As I read it, lots of combat in this module. But there's plenty of role-playing too. Though it's a mystery, there seem to be few frustrating "dead ends". There's always someplace to explore with bared blades if talking to NPC's seems to be getting you nowhere.

Now, like I said, I haven't actually played it yet, so take all of the above with a grain of salt. Those are all just impressions from reading it.

catsclaw227

First Post
Thanks Sarge --

I also posted at NecG's Doom of Listenshire forum. BTW -- my comment about Necromancer games' forums being light wasn't intended to mean the WHOLE forum community, simply the specific forum for this adventure. :)

The Necromancer Games Forums are awesome.

Hi,

I've been thinking of buying this adventure as well. I personally would set it in the Valley of the Ancients; maybe near Greenswabs, maybe. I could also think of setting it in Valon (The Darkwood, maybe use Listonshire as Breem).*

*Quoting from my memory, not totally sure about the names. :)

SgtHulka said:
I haven't had a chance to run this module yet, but I own it and have read it. These are the things I like about it off the top of my head:

Sarge, that's one of the coolest summaries of one of my projects I've seen, and exactly the sort of feel I was shooting for with DoL. Thank you. :)

Thomas Percy

First Post
Ari Marmell seems to be trustworthy as game designer for me after Tome of Magic. I like the theme of this adventure. So, catsclaw227 thanks for this my-eye-opener thread. I'll read reviews and discussions on Necromancer Games forum, and maybe I'll buy this pdf.
That's sad, I don't see it on Amazon.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
It looks like I am gonna just get it too. I'm convinced, and it looks like I may be able to get it in play in the next couple of game sessions.

Remove ads