Double check my houserules?

*sigh* This was better formatted, but the post go eaten and I don't have the patience to go back and do it all over again....

I’ve got a list of houserules I’m planning on using (or thinking of) and I want to do a quick sanity check before I make them official in the game. The upcoming session is going to be our first 4E game, with the last session having been character generation.

My posting of these is to make sure I’m not going to be bumping into unintended consequences.

1. Monster changes:
-1 to Attacks, Fort, Ref, Will at levels 5/15/25
Hp x 0.75 and damage increased .5/level.

This is to try and address issues related to Non-AC defences, as well as trying to cut down the “grind” aspect.

Damage done by monsters is a fixed amount, taking the round-up value of the dice average with a wee bit extra. This is because I personally am not super-interested in rolling dice and want to speed things up on my end.

d4=3, d6=4, d8=6, d10=7, d12=8

1a. Expertise feats banned since I'm addressing what they were supposed to address as I understand things.

2. In the future, I’m thinking of not even rolling to hit. Instead, I’ll go with the 4E version of Players roll all the dice, and have players make the roll instead. I don’t see a whole lot of difference between me making the roll and them making the roll since I generally roll out in the open. The 4E version means they’ll roll 1d20+defense (whatever is appropriate). On a 1 the monster scores a Critical Hit. The TN (Target Number) is 22+Monster’s attack bonus.

Using 22 as the base means that players don’t have to subtract the 10 bonus which is a core part of the rules. Less math basically, which means it goes quicker, as well as leaving their sheets 100% backwards compatible.

Like I said, this particular rule is one I’m thinking of using later but for now I’ll do it straight by the book. If/when I do switch over, the math won’t be changing, I’ll just be letting those dice monkeys that like rolling to do their thing.

3. Initiative for monsters will be 10+Init bonus (if any). Again, I’m not super interested in rolling dice and that just makes things faster from my perspective.

Combat turns will be alternating, meaning PCs and then Monsters. Initiative only comes into play on the initial round. Anyone that exceeds the monster’s init score will go, and then the monsters will go. After the monsters go, the entire group (including anyone that went before the monsters) will go, and then it just alternates back and forth like that.

This based on the ARS Ludi article (Initiative the silent killer) which can be found here: ars ludi » Initiative: the Silent Killer

I’ve done this sort of thing before (3.x game) and been quite happy with it. It means people are usually engaged instead of simply hanging out waiting for their turn and strongly encourages the players to actually work together as a group.

And again, it’s simpler for me. :) The whole “delay my action” blah blah blah… I really dislike it.

4. In my games, death isn’t on the table unless the players explicitly want it (and then it's permadeath as otherwise "death" isn't anything more than a money tax). Which means the only way a character is going to die is generally if the player decides it’s appropriate for the character to eat it. However, there seems to be a built-in feeling that there should be _some_ sort of penalty for what would ordinarily mean death (due to HP loss). So I think I’m going to go with the Wound idea floated by Keith Baker (wounds using the disease track). I think it’ll play out better than just "You're dead Bob, make a new character" or "Yeah, just hang out for a while and the group will probably be able to rez you."

Or the worst... “ummm… ok, so I know that was a TPK… I guess you all wake up as prisoners…” which some people fall back on and might be an option in some situations but usually feels sorta forced. For the record, I've never had the group wake up as prisoners; it's a hackneyed solution in my opinion and takes control of characters away from players which I dislike.

Since Wounds are recoverable, I think it’ll also allow for some “character depth and development” without really requiring a lot of overhead. Unlike killing a character, I'm also perfectly fine with bumping a character out of combat and it having a penalty to doing stuff until it recovers.

This idea was mentioned here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...-edition-disease-rules-simulate-injuries.html

And an expanded system here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/240891-wound-system.html

5. Inherent bonuses. I’m not particularly concerned at this point with the question of “why would you buy a higher level version of the item?” My initial answer is “you wouldn’t, so what?” If it was an especial problem I might be tempted to say that while the bonus is inherent and scales up with the character, the additional properties/effects of the item don’t. But I suspect that would immediately lead to other objections.

So yes, if a Fighter was to get into a tavern brawl, smash a chair and start beating someone with a chair leg, that chair leg would have an inherent bonus of + [whatever]. The PCs are just that awesome.

The break down (as done by someone else and which seems fine to me) is:
L1-2=+0, L 3-6=+1, L 7-10=+2, L 11-14=+3, L 15-17=+4, L 18-20=+5, L 21-23=+6, L24-26=+7, L 27-29=+8, L30=+9

6. Companion sheets. When I read the rules in the DMG2 I thought, “Sweet! Now I’m covered for when a player misses the game!” Later, poking around Asmor’s site, I found he had a similar idea so that’s good enough for me. The characters will all have a Companion rules version of themselves which will cover for when the character isn’t around. Simple and straight forward I think. Asmor's thoughts on it can be found here:
Encounter-a-Day » Archive » Stunt Doubles for Absentee Players

7. Skill challenges. Although I haven’t run 4E yet, I’ve kept half an eye on this. I was initially quite interested in the Obsidian version that was done up by Stalker0. However, I do also know that WotC later revised the Skill Challenge system and folks seem to feel it’s fine now. Unless there’s something additional that I’m missing in regards to the Obsidian system, I probably will just use WotC’s version. Any input?

8. XP. Bleh. I can’t be bothered messing around with XP. Under 3.x I went with 13 encounters and then you level. Under 4E I think I’m going to go with 10 encounters and then you level. Unlike 3.x, 4E has “official” support for this, although that doesn’t particularly matter to me much; since 4E says “8 – 10” encounters, I’ll just go with 10 and keep my math simple. :)

Fanaelialae

Legend
5. I could be mistaken, but I believe that your inherent bonus progression factors in the expertise bonus as well. Since you've already compensated for that by reducing monster defenses, I believe your progression should only go to +6 (alternately, the monster defense nerf could be eliminated).

Amaroq

Community Supporter
2. I’ll go with the 4E version of Players roll all the dice, and have players make the roll instead.
Our DM s both do this, only they keep it as straightforward as "DM announces attack bonus, player rolls d20, player says whether it hits or not."

Your system is mildly better in that it maintains the attack bonus as "hidden" information, but may feel less natural to the players.

3. Initiative for monsters will be 10+Init bonus (if any). Again, I’m not super interested in rolling dice and that just makes things faster from my perspective.

Combat turns will be alternating, meaning PCs and then Monsters. Initiative only comes into play on the initial round. Anyone that exceeds the monster’s init score will go, and then the monsters will go. After the monsters go, the entire group (including anyone that went before the monsters) will go, and then it just alternates back and forth like that.
This one, believe it or not, is a disadvantage for the players, and I recommend against it.

Why?

Because a lot of monsters have synergistic effects.

For example, a pack of Grey Wolves (L2 Skirmishers) has a basic attack for 1d6+2, has a "special" that if they have combat advantage they can knock an opponent prone, and then does 2d6+2 against a prone target.

If all wolves "go" on the same initiative, one can move and attack, a second can move to combat advantage and attack, which results in knocking the opponent prone, and the remainder can savage the prone target for the additional damage.

The problem gets "worse" as the stakes increase: Lurkers, Artillery, Controllers, etc, which do increasingly nasty effects in synergy with other monsters.

On the other hand, if the wolves each roll their own unique initiative, it allows the party time to "react" to the situation as it develops: to cover and protect their teammates from becoming flanked, or to help cover and protect the teammate who is knocked prone.

That, in turn, makes for more tactically entertaining fights, as it gives the party members sub-goals - and deadlines. "Get to so-and-so to protect him", "Heal so-and-so before the Brute gets to finish him off", etc.

Turn-based (all monsters, all PCs, all monsters, all PCs) combat may go a bit quicker, but I think it results in much less tactically interesting battles.

cdrcjsn

First Post
If this is truly your first 4e game, then I'd suggest to just play with the core rules as is.

Not everyone experiences the problem of "the grind".

Just use Index Cards for initiative. It's much simpler. The "waiting for my turn" problem of 3e (especially high level 3e play) is mostly gone.

Just try the core rules for the first month or so. Then you'll see what's working for your group and where the problem areas are for your group specifically.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
5. I could be mistaken, but I believe that your inherent bonus progression factors in the expertise bonus as well. Since you've already compensated for that by reducing monster defenses, I believe your progression should only go to +6 (alternately, the monster defense nerf could be eliminated).
Yeah, this is the only red flag that jumped out to me too.

the Jester

Legend
If this is truly your first 4e game, then I'd suggest to just play with the core rules as is.

Not everyone experiences the problem of "the grind".

Just use Index Cards for initiative. It's much simpler. The "waiting for my turn" problem of 3e (especially high level 3e play) is mostly gone.

Just try the core rules for the first month or so. Then you'll see what's working for your group and where the problem areas are for your group specifically.

This, a thousand times this.

Before house ruling a game it is a very good idea to try it and see how it plays. 4e plays far differently than it reads imho, too.

Whoops. Thank you and Tequila Sunrise. That's why I came here. :D

I see the format I should be using is on page 138 of the DMG 2 with a +1 at levels 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27.

[4E] House rule: gravely wounded. - RPGnet Forums
Might be worth a look for a simpler "death" =/= death system.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have to admit to being intrigued by the idea of leveraging the Disease track.

This one, believe it or not, is a disadvantage for the players, and I recommend against it.

Why?

Because a lot of monsters have synergistic effects.

That, in turn, makes for more tactically entertaining fights, as it gives the party members sub-goals - and deadlines. "Get to so-and-so to protect him", "Heal so-and-so before the Brute gets to finish him off", etc.

Turn-based (all monsters, all PCs, all monsters, all PCs) combat may go a bit quicker, but I think it results in much less tactically interesting battles.

Thanks for the warning. I think the first thing that occurs to me is that the players are going to be just as "synergistic" as the monsters. I think my DMing style is also such that just because I _can_ bone the players, doesn't mean I _should_. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

The other thing is quite frankly, I'm not interested in "tactically entertaining" fights. I haven't bothered addressing it above, but I'm going mini-less. The players are all aware of this and don't have a problem with it. I realize that more than a few people's response will be "why bother playing 4E if you're not interested in miniatures or tactically interesting combats?!?!" To which I can only reply, "I can't explain it to you, because what I'm after is most likely different than what you're after."

As for the folks saying I shouldn't houserule... I appreciate the thought, but I flat out refuse to run 4E "rules as written" for a variety of reasons. I understand people don't agree with that decision on my part, but I'm not asking if I should houserule, just trying to make sure of what bits are likely to break with the houserules I've got.

Hmmm. The only other thing I can think of now, is wondering if I should get rid of the various "Defenses" feats or not. It seems like it's a popular thing to toss when going with the inherent bonuses/monster change route, but I notice nobody has explicitly said anything one way or another.

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
I haven't heard anyone talk about getting rid of the defenses feats. I don't think they're seen as "must-have" like the expertise feats are.

At least, they aren't in my group.

the Jester

Legend
As for the folks saying I shouldn't houserule... I appreciate the thought, but I flat out refuse to run 4E "rules as written" for a variety of reasons.

In that case, everything that you have proposed as a house rule sounds fine (with the "expertise included in inherent bonuses" caveat expressed above).

The one thing you should be careful about regarding your distaste for tactical combat is that a ton of powers rely on the idea that you can push foes off of cliffs, maneuver for combat advantage, etc. Not having tactically interesting fights might significantly devalue some of those powers. If you just mean that you aren't using minis, but you still intend to have cliffs and roaring fires and stuff in the fight, as long as you and the players keep a relatively similar picture of the fight in your heads and you rule fairly, you should be fine. Either way, just try not to ignore or forget the fun options that the monsters' and pcs' abilities offer.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases