Down to one at HERO GAMES...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just out of curiosity, Danny, why would you be doing a 6E shopping spree when all of the books are/will be likely available on Ebay and Amazon marketplace for cheap? They may not be in-print anymore, but copies won't suddenly disappear...if anything they'll be cheaper if Hero Games liquidates its stock.

1) Risk/reward. I'd rather ensure I get the ones I really want than risk not being able to catch it later.

2) Enlightened self-interest. I prefer to shop in my brick & mortar FLGSes than online for many reasons, including helping make sure I still have brick & mortar FLGSes to shop in. The rare things- of any kind- I buy online are things my locals would merely be serving as middlemen for (IOW, they would be getting what I ask for from Amazon, etc.).

teitan

Legend
I think that their big mistake was turning the game into multiple expensive books and that it got too complicated for it's own good.

Thanee

First Post
Steve will produce HERO books on his own under license in the future. At least, that is the current plan, as he said on the HERO forums.

So, it is not necessarily the end, even though it is a big step back for them.

Bye
Thanee

cattoy

First Post
Personally, I have all the editions, and while I'm sorry to see some of the changes in 6th, I have to admit its the least breakable of all the incarnations of the game, while simultaneously keeping nearly 100% of the feel & flexibility of the original.

0_o

I have to say, I'm a little boggled by this statement. I have always characterized 6e as Steve Long sacrificing balance for elegance.

6e is full of extremely exploitable structures and powers. Barrier, first and foremost.

cattoy

First Post
Loved this old mod- ran it both for Espionage, and MSPE (another game I really miss)

HER010_500.jpeg

That module's author, who also wrote Danger International, one of HGs best publications ever, was one hell of a talented GM, whose former players bemoan the fact that he's moved abroad.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
6e is full of extremely exploitable structures and powers. Barrier, first and foremost.
No RPG is ever going to close all of its loopholes, and sometimes, revisions introduce new ones. But IMHO, 6th closed some of the most abusable elements of the game, starting with tweaking the way stats are calculated. In prior editions, you could do some nasty things with that math- all gone now.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I loved Hero System. I have 5th and 6th edition and used to have 3rd ed Champions. It's an awesome game for a toolkit game in which there's just about a mechanic for every situation, power, talent, or skill you can imagine and that everything and anything is customizable to get exactly what you want if you have the character points for it.

I wish them the best of luck and will still buy their stuff.

cattoy

First Post
No RPG is ever going to close all of its loopholes, and sometimes, revisions introduce new ones. But IMHO, 6th closed some of the most abusable elements of the game, starting with tweaking the way stats are calculated. In prior editions, you could do some nasty things with that math- all gone now.

I'm just going to have to say that I disagree fundamentally with your opinion but this is a lousy place to discuss it.

If you want to swing by the Hero Games discussion boards, by all means, state your case and see what the community there thinks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Risk/reward. I'd rather ensure I get the ones I really want than risk not being able to catch it later.

2) Enlightened self-interest. I prefer to shop in my brick & mortar FLGSes than online for many reasons, including helping make sure I still have brick & mortar FLGSes to shop in. The rare things- of any kind- I buy online are things my locals would merely be serving as middlemen for (IOW, they would be getting what I ask for from Amazon, etc.).

Lucky me- one of my FLGSs is having a sale of sorts: spend $75, get a store gift certificate for $25 (valid only in 2012). I bought 2 HERO books last week, and plan to get another 2 before too long. I may be able to complete the last bit of HERO 6th collecting I really think I need spending just around $100 more. (Another $75 purchase this year, and $25 + Certificates in 2012.)

Remove ads