Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Escape From Old Korvosa

Axel

First Post
From up near the back, Mhairi spies the frescoes and murals on the wall. "Well, you've got to hand it to this family. They know what they like in art. Doubt there's much re-sale value though..." She squeezes passed the others to get a better look.

Dr Simon

Explorer
As Mhairi moves into the room the symbol on the floor bursts into radiant light, a sort of dim purple that can only just be seen. Everyone experiences intense wracking pain. It didn't register as magic before to Ignatius' sight. Now it does.

OOC: Fortitude saves please from everyone (DC 20)

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: I have to say the rules concerning symbols are confusing at best. They are visible from 60 ft., but they also have a sod of a DC to detect them, so my guess is that unless triggered they are completely inert, and the DC is to realise they are more than just pretty pictures. Ditto with detect magic, otherwise a 0th level spell easily defeats a 5th+ level trap spell. That's how I've played it anyhow.

Axel

First Post
ooc: Symbol of "insert problems" are good traps/spells. Keep them coming as you've done it as far as I'm concerned. Never enough magical traps in the game :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Being right behind Ignatius, trying to protect reckless oracle with his longer weapon, Edmond is hit with full power of the symbols magic.

Fort save DC 20 (1d20+8=12) - series of bad rolls for the party :)

"Ugh...maybe we should step more carefully into other rooms."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]
Manachan sees the symbol for what it is just in time to turn his gaze away. He immediately begins calling out the name of the spell, it's nature (divine/arcane/etc) and anything he knows about how to counter it or to not suffer damage from its "attack."
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]Fortitude Save (1d20+5=20), Spellcraft Check (1d20+4=23). I'm good with your interpretation, Doctor S.[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Manachan suffers no ill effects, but the other three experience chronic pain as they move. It's not completely debilitating, but it will slow them down somewhat, and makes it hard to think straight. Now that Mhairi is closer to the murals she sees that the animal-headed creatures are in a jungle, stomping on hapless humans whilst jungle creatures look on and mock. As she looks, the faces of some of the people seem to change - now they look disturbingly like the four of you.

OOC: All but Manachan suffer a -4 penalty to attacks, skill checks and ability checks.

[sblock=Manachan]
What Manachan knows about the spell:

It's a symbol of pain. Symbol spells appear like a normal symbol of some kind, unless studied very closely (i.e. trapfinding or read magic+Spellcraft). They trigger under certain conditions - sometimes touch, sometimes proximity, sometimes being read (in which case the above methods of identifying them carry a risk of triggering them). When they are set up, exceptions can be made as to who triggers them. They tend to last a few hours. The length of the effects vary - some are instant (such as death), others linger whilst within 60 ft. or so of the symbol, some last longer. Pain will last for up to an hour once out of range of the symbol.
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]
The obvious pain the others are suffering draws a compassionate look from the priest. "You've fallen under the effects of a Symbol of Pain. Don't worry, my friends - I know it hurts, but there's no actual harm being done to you. The effects should pass once we've been out of the Symbol's presence for about an hour."
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]--[/sblock]

Remove ads