• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DR Su or Ex for purposes of Anti-magic?

kmdietri

Explorer
If DR can be both why didn't they put which it is under each Monster's statblock/description. Or Can DR never be lost in an Anti/Dead Magic area?

Or is it just a judgement call based on the creature what it's DR is?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
DR/substance: (Ex)
DR/damage type: (Ex) <-- DR x/Slashing or DR x/Bludgeoning, for example
DR/alignment: (Ex)

DR/magic: (Su)

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

-- Nifft

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Nifft said:
DR/substance: (Ex)
DR/damage type: (Ex) <-- DR x/Slashing or DR x/Bludgeoning, for example
DR/alignment: (Ex)

DR/magic: (Su)

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

-- Nifft
DR/epic: (Su)

kreynolds

First Post
Aside from the alignment part of DR, I agree with Nifft and CRGreathouse. I just feel that the alignment aspect of DR is more a "spiritual" factor, rather than biochemical (i.e. physical).

Xeovke

First Post
kreynolds said:
Aside from the alignment part of DR, I agree with Nifft and CRGreathouse. I just feel that the alignment aspect of DR is more a "spiritual" factor, rather than biochemical (i.e. physical).

I tend to agree with you, some creatures (e.g. pit fiends and solars) have regeneration (Ex) as an ability so only X-aligned weapons can harm them. It makes them almost impervious to damage if they are in an anti-magic field, i.e. only an opposed outsider can harm them. In the case of pit fiends only a good outsider with silvered weapons. In the case of solars only an evil outsider which naturally overcomes epic DR (and i'm not sure such a thing exists).
Maybe this is an error, or maybe it's just in the SRD, or more likely, there is something I'm missing... so please hulp!
Cheers,
Xeovke

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I'm confused, the 3.5 SRD says:

DAMAGE REDUCTION

Some magic creatures have the supernatural ability to instantly heal damage from weapons or to ignore blows altogether as though they were invulnerable.

So, when is DR Ex instead of Su?

Andargor

kmdietri

Explorer
It says on Pg. 307 of the MM Damage Reduction (Ex or Su).

And if you look on page 177 of the MM under creating a Lycanthrope it lists their DR as an Ex ability.

Those are where I've seen anyways.

ThirdWizard

First Post
andargor said:
I'm confused, the 3.5 SRD says:

So, when is DR Ex instead of Su?

Andargor
Well, it makes sense for a skeleton's 5/Bludgeioning to be (Ex) at least, for example. The only ones that will come up in anti-magic are magic and alignment, so I would probably make them both (Su) to counter-balance that.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
kreynolds said:

You're probably right. That's how I'd end up ruling it -- though I don't have a book reference for that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads