• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon’s-Eye View 3/28/2012... now with ENW poll!

So the armour you prefer in your DnD art is...

• MANGA

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • FANTASTIC REALISM

Votes: 68 41.2%
  • PHOTOREALISM

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • Other not represented

Votes: 17 10.3%

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Yeah, unfortunately T&A is apart of the way a woman expresses her identity as a woman. A super-woman of course would express themselves in a manner that was super-sexy, well, because they are a super-woman. Women are far more concerned with their body, in the way they reveal themselves provocatively, and have the desire to influence society and men around them. They themselves are quite willing to expose themselves and love the attention. If you are unable to get out of the basement and see the world just look at pics of women and how they dress at comic-cons. It's apart of their biology.

Criticizing an artist for reflecting this is misguided. Women love being "sex objects", it's a lie to say they don't.
Putting aside the slightly disturbing generalization of that post, I know what you're talking about, and I agree. I have read a few feminist essays that argue that a woman who embraces "to-be-looked-at-ness" is a victim of the scopophilia of male-dominated patriarchal society, but I think that's bull----. I know that I (heterosexual male) like to look as sexy as possible when I appear in public, and I think everyone likes to look good, especially to the opposite sex.

It's a given that, in circumstances when one has the luxury of worrying about one's looks, one normally attempts to look good. What we're saying is, most D&D characters don't have that luxury. A chainmail bikini might look good, but looking good is not as important as not dying.

Even in non-adventuring contexts, looking good is usually not as important as being comfortable, warm, etc.

Last edited:

Kynn

Adventurer
Yeah, unfortunately T&A is apart of the way a woman expresses her identity as a woman. A super-woman of course would express themselves in a manner that was super-sexy, well, because they are a super-woman. Women are far more concerned with their body, in the way they reveal themselves provocatively, and have the desire to influence society and men around them. They themselves are quite willing to expose themselves and love the attention. If you are unable to get out of the basement and see the world just look at pics of women and how they dress at comic-cons. It's apart of their biology.

Criticizing an artist for reflecting this is misguided. Women love being "sex objects", it's a lie to say they don't.

What

hamstertamer

First Post
Putting aside the slightly disturbing generalization of that post, I know what you're talking about, and I agree. I have read a few feminist essays that argue that a woman who embraces "to-be-looked-at-ness" is a victim of the scopophilia of male-dominated patriarchal society, but I think that's bull----. I know that I (heterosexual male) like to look as sexy as possible when I appear in public, and I think everyone likes to look good, especially to the opposite sex.

It's a given that, in circumstances when one has the luxury of worrying about one's looks, one normally attempts to look good. What we're saying is, most D&D characters don't have that luxury. A chainmail bikini might look good, but looking good is not as important as not dying.

Even in non-adventuring contexts, looking good is usually not as important as being comfortable, warm, etc.

Oh really?

http://youtu.be/pQ6Ljge0-14

Moscow girls run glamorous race - YouTube!

This may sound illogical to some men, but comfort and practicality is not always the priority of women. Why do you think women go to outside events without appropriate clothing then end up taking their boyfriends/husbands shirt from them later.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Those people have chosen (as many do) to forgo comfort and practicality in favor of glamour. Which is a cultural conceit and, again, a privilege that most people in the kind of places and times that tend to be D&D settings do not have.
This may sound illogical to some men, but comfort and practicality is not always the priority of women. Why do you think women go to outside events without appropriate clothing then end up taking their boyfriends/husbands shirt from them later.
Now I get the sense you've been trolling all along. If so, 9/10 - well done. If not... well, I'm going to bow out of this anyway. Shall we leave it?

You know, we haven't considered photo art.

I don't remember any D&D products with actual photography in it - just line art, paintings and the like.

Wouldn't a lovely photo of a ruined scottish castle be good for giving you that D&D adventure feeling? What about a huge cave full of crystals? Is there a reason we exclude the real world from our books?

hamstertamer

First Post
Those people have chosen (as many do) to forgo comfort and practicality in favor of glamour. Which is a cultural conceit and, again, a privilege that most people in the kind of places and times that tend to be D&D settings do not have.Now I get the sense you've been trolling all along. If so, 9/10 - well done. If not... well, I'm going to bow out of this anyway. Shall we leave it?

Let's leave it since I'm not trolling. I'm just defending Reynold's art which is in fact very modest for fantasy women.

But the idea that women don't want to look like women in fantasy art is a unsustainable position considering the reality of world we live in.

Derren

Hero

Send those woman into combat and they will favor practicality over glamor.
Those who don't end up dead.

Elf Witch

First Post

I don't even know where to start with this.

I am a woman and I can tell you right now that for us there is a big difference between looking good and sometimes sexy and expressing ourselves with T&A.

There is a time and place for everything. Sure there are times we want to look sexy especially if we are going out and hoping to attract a guy or we are dressing to please the man in our life.

But when we are working or hanging out with our friends we want comfortable clothes. Take the show castle they put Beckett in those stupid high heels well I have known several female detectives and they wear flats or low stacked heels because you can't run safely in heels. Even on Castle if you look closely when Beckett runs she is in flats.

I was in the medical field and on my feet all day we wore scrubs and flat comfortable shoes. When I go to the Ren Faire I wear sneakers though I have watched dumb bimbos trying to walk without killing themselves in high heels.

Yeah there are woman who dress like bimbos all the time and for the most part if you get to know these woman you find that most lack self esteem and are drama whores dying for attention.

Woman serious about their careers dress appropriately for their jobs.

Adventuring is a job and those stupid chain mail bikinis or the armor that covers boobs and butt but leaves the midsection open for a nasty gut wound are just stupid looking. Or one of my favorites the fur bikini that leaves your midriff and legs exposed to sub zero temperatures. The cleric must get so sick of wasting spells on healing because of frost bite.

Elf Witch

First Post
Send those woman into combat and they will favor practicality over glamor.
Those who don't end up dead.

He needs to look up how the woman in our military dress. He might want to look at pictures of woman serving in Afghanistan and how they dress.

I guarantee in a zombie apocalypse all those high heel wearing woman will be the first taken down and ripped apart.

I used to wear high heels when I went out and I know that you can't run in them easily or even walk over bad pavement unless you concentrate so you don't fall.

They sell these little slippers that a lot of woman carry in their purses because your feet kill you after a few hours.

Remove ads