Dragon’s-Eye View 3/28/2012... now with ENW poll!

So the armour you prefer in your DnD art is...

• MANGA

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • FANTASTIC REALISM

Votes: 68 41.2%
  • PHOTOREALISM

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • Other not represented

Votes: 17 10.3%

triqui

Adventurer
some interesting female armored characters:

IomedaeBrokenBlades-Karatha.jpg

iomedae.jpg

Hussar

Legend
IMHO, fantasy is battling dragons while riding a griffin.

Battling dragons while riding a griffing and wearing high heels is, instead, stupid.

I think this, right here, hits the point for me.

Sure, we can do cheesecake fantasy art. There's a great series of threads over at the Giant in the Playground forums called http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234311 . Great stuff and all safe for work.

But, that being said, I'd prefer my gaming art to come with a minimum of cake. There are tons of examples out there of strong, competent characters (both male, female and other) that don't require the obvious titilation factor.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Thanks for the insight into your psyche, Libramarian.
Can I ask you some questions? I'd like to know more about your psyche too, Ettin.

How old are you?
How long have you been a My Little Pony fan?
Do you watch the show alone?
What do you do while you watch the show alone?
Do you invite children over to watch the show with you?
What do you give them for juice and snacks?
Do you ever roleplay scenes from My Little Pony?
Do you have My Little Pony costumes?

Kynn

Adventurer
Can I ask you some questions? I'd like to know more about your psyche too, Ettin.

How old are you?
How long have you been a My Little Pony fan?
Do you watch the show alone?
What do you do while you watch the show alone?
Do you invite children over to watch the show with you?
What do you give them for juice and snacks?
Do you ever roleplay scenes from My Little Pony?
Do you have My Little Pony costumes?

Dude ... what are you trying to say here?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Do you guys think for some reason that veiled insults are somehow better? Stop it, both of you. If there's a problem, report the post, but no passive-aggressive rudeness.

Cadfan

First Post
1. In my vision of D&D, all characters exist in their own little bubble that has its own laws of physics. So if the party contains Lao the Badass Kung Fu Monk, Gritty McGritster the Merc, and Sir Toby the Bold, each can have their own style. Lao can balance on people's swords and kick them in the face, McGritster can be covered in mud and other people's blood, and Sir Toby can spend half the fight talking in terrible pseudo medieval pidgin ("Have at thee, foul rogue! Huzzah!"). Everybody gets to do their own thing. And if McGritster's player can't stand the fact that other people are doing a thing that he doesn't like, he can go game somewhere else.

I think the same is true for a game's art.

2. Artwork depicting female characters should be (mostly) designed to appeal to female players. Each individual female player should be able to find at least some character art that appeals to her. That doesn't mean that none of it should be sexy. Some female players like the idea of highly sexualized characters. But not all of them do! The few who do should not be an excuse for male gamers to fill the books with female "character art" that is really just pinup art for their own enjoyment.

3. If artwork is included for purely pinup purposes, it should cover both genders. Male gamers uninterested in pinup art of male models can look past it just like women do. Being a grownup is all about sharing. If you get yours, other people get theirs.

4. If the RPG community can't accept these reasonable standards, then... I don't know. That fact will say something about us. I'm not sure what.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I am satirizing the idea that he or she has insights into my psyche because of a couple posts I made on the internet about what I like in fantasy art/media.

I don't actually think that an adult who likes a show about a children's toy is necessarily a weirdo.

Unfortunately I think Ettin was actually serious in thinking less of me as a human being because I implied I like boobies or something.

Ettin

Explorer

It's cool! I'm mostly just ribbing, and the pony avatar is paying off already. I do find it a little weird that this image could be "subtle titillation" or "clearly sexy" or could stand to be sexed up though.

EDIT: Did once use a humanised pony as a quick NPC in a game though.

Remove ads