• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon #298: The Drow issue

Xarlen

First Post
I think some of you are bitter. ;)

Mechanics wise, playing a Drow PC right now is Hard. That +2 ECL hurts, *especially* if you want to play a spellcaster.

If you want to play in a game that's more intrigue, and it's semi-evil, Drow is your way to go. Because most fear them. Duh, no one here does, but ingame wise, there's a lot of half-truths, and a lot of fear attached to them. Especially with surface elves, but it's either 'Cringe in terror' or 'Slathering with Hatred'. I know I wouldn't play them with Hack and Slash.

Now, I can see how you get Tired of them, because they keep being revisited, but that simply happens. And, despite the displeasure, they're *popular*. Unfortunately, so is Brittany Spears, so you hear a lot about her, and I feel for you in that light.

Granted, Illithids are creepy cool, but Drow are the old fashioned evil doers. Sadistic, beautiful, and dangerous. The allure is, they're *evil*. Most people who revere elves to be mystical and mysterious, Drow are the very same thing, but they're dark. Think of Drow as... The fantasy world equivilent of Vampires. The same mystique, the same hype, similar setup, and way to much press.

I agree. Dragon should do some different themes, but would it be as *Popular*? Minotaurs, Giants, Kobolds and Goblins, Outsiders, Evil. I think these will never be visited, because they are up to the DM, where as some do look to play Drow, despite many's chargin. I don't think Drow will try and sell us Kobolds, because more people think of them as cannon fodder and weaklings, then Drow.

Note, however, that I would ache for an issue of Kobolds.

rounser

First Post
Xarlen - the ironic thing about drow popularity is that half their appeal was their mystique. Salvatore goes so far as to point this out himself, and says it's a bit of a pity that they've lost that ace up their sleeve, really. Sure, you can keep loading them up with new surprises - but that's still not preventing overexposure.

Brittany Spears has no such image dependencies - she's designed to be popular. Drow, however, are like spice on food - best in small quantities, and not the same one on every meal, and they stand out. Anyways, that's my bitter and twisted take on it. :D

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Huh. Salvator thinks it's a pity that the Drow have lost their mystique. Gee. I wonder how THAT happened? ;)

I can be bitter too.

rounser

First Post
On another note, surely Gary Gygax isn't the only one capable of coming up with "drow". If people love them so much, perhaps as well as "revisiting the well" yet again, maybe Dragon magazine can run a competition similar to the fantasy setting one, only in an attempt to find the next "drow"-type race, which exudes cool and no-one can get enough of. Unless, of course, they're convinced that drow are as good as it gets...

rounser

First Post
Kobolds. That's all I'm sayin'.
Heh. No, Tucker's kobolds have had their time in the sun - Dragon Mountain for instance - and they lack the X factor.

I think that a potential "new drow" are staring us right in the face. They just need a new coat of paint, a makeover, and a better agent.

Hint: Their name starts with a "T" and ends with a "g".

Xarlen

First Post
rounser said:

Hint: Their name starts with a "T" and ends with a "g".

Trogs? :)

No, I don't think Tieflings will do it. Part of Drow is their society. Tieflings *have* no society. It's like a half elf. Besides, I think they had their day in the sun in Planescape.

Remove ads