• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [Dragon] #307 - 3.5 Changes: Some we know, some we don't...

Tempuswolf

First Post
Dimwhit said:

I wondered this for a while myself, but I've rationalized it quite well, in my mind. For one, Druids can only use animal shapes, while Polymorph has no such restriction. So giving Druids more of the animal's abilities is one way to compensate.

There is one other major reason, however. Druids have spend their lives in the wilderness. They have a closeness and a familiarity with animals in general that Wizards don't. So a Druid wildshaped into a Lion would be intimately familiar with, for example, its attack routines, and would therefore know how to use a pounce. A Wizard, however, isn't. Think of it this way...attack routines like rake and pounce are behaviors that animals learn from birth. A Druid, by nature, can learn these through their lifetime of studying nature. A Wizard, however, would have no experience and knowledge of such routines, so all they would benefit would be to get the strength and basic attacks of the animal (claw and bite for example).

That doesn't entirely explain abilities such as low-light vision, but it does make sense to me.

Like you say, the familiarity distinction only works with 60%-70% of the Extraordinary abilities. Others are just too innate for them not to be included in a change of form unless the change is counterfeit in some way, like a kuo-tao's Slippery-ness or a tyrannosaurus' ability to Swallow Whole. This is especially true with all senses of the new form.

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Like you say, the familiarity distinction only works with 60%-70% of the Extraordinary abilities. Others are just too innate for them not to be included in a change of form unless the change is counterfeit in some way, like a kuo-tao's Slippery-ness or a tyrannosaurus' ability to Swallow Whole. This is especially true with all senses of the new form.

Of course, Druids can't wildshape into a kuo-tao or tyrannosaurus, though 3.5 may change that. Low-light vision and poison are the only things I can think of off-hand that don't quite fit. But when they're all EX abilities, it's hard to draw a line between which ones you can and can't use. I think, more than anything, it was sdone as a balance issue. Since Druid's only get animal forms, they get more benefits than a Wizard, who have many more forms available.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
Okay, it's a day late, but I wanted to respond to this one about Harm:

Slay Living can't target nonliving creatures.
> It says "Target: living creature touched", so this'd rule out nonliving targets like Constructs or Undead.
> It's a death effect, which means Constructs and Undead are immune to it anyway.
> It also requires a Fortitude save and doesn't affect objects, which means that, yet again, Undead and Constructs are immune to it.
Being a death effect, it's also stopped cold by the spell Death Ward.

Harm is not only usable on Constructs, it has the added benefit of acting as a Heal for undead. And, unlike Slay Living, it's on the Druid list as well.

Is this difference worth a spell level? Maybe not, but they're definitely not on the same level IMO, and that's before arguing the merits of a Will save vs. a Fort save.

I don't even call thsoe differences worth a .01 level.

Slay living doesn't work on undead, fine, that means somethig I suppose. But constructs, I doubt heal would work on them anyways and even is a helaing spell works on objects, how many constructs worth casting a spell at are effected by spells in general.

Death effect, yeah its blocked by a death ward, but its also a death effect which means bringing you back is much harder, a simple raise dead sell isn't going to cut it anymore. So IMO that's a wash and not a penalty.

As for harm beign a will save vs slay living being a fort save well so what? Harm vs big monsters, slay living vs spellcasters, rogues and the like. That's not a penalty that's just different targets their sueful against. And only is a balnce issue if your DM stacks the deck with one type of monster.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, I mostly like the changes, although I'm dubious of the hold changes.

I like the changes to harm- I've been giving a Will save for the damage of an inflict crits for a long time. I like the change to haste, and since it now affects multiple targets I think it balances out.

I think harm will now be well-balanced with other 6th-level spells. Despite what some seem to think, the fact that it's a Will save is a winning deal when you stack it up against slay living. Think about it: who has a poor Will save?
Barbarians
Fighters
Paladins
Rangers
Rogues
...far more importantly:
Animals
Constructs
Elementals
Giants
Most humanoids
Magical beasts
Oozes
Plants
Vermin

That's 15 classes or types. Who has a poor Fort save?
Bards
Rogues
Sorcerers
Wizards
...for monster types:
Aberrations
Constructs
Fey
Most Humanoids
Oozes
Plants
Undead

That's 12 classes or types, but for all practical purposes you can take out constructs and undead because slay living doesn't affect them. So it's really only 10 types that Fort saves are really effective against.

Also, most games I've seen just don't use too many fey, and I've never played in a game without tons of magical beasts as enemies, but that's entirely dependent upon the dm's choice in monsters.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
drnuncheon said:
To quote you, sir, "Nonsense." Just because you cannot pull off a "kill 'em all" combo in a single round does not mean that you never can or never should use that combo. It means that such a combo is going to have a higher cost, and you are going to have to consider more carefully whether it is the best for the situation or not. Or, you're going to have to work with another spellcaster to pull off a one-round Combo of Death.

I'm not saying that such combos won't be seen but the point is that, without a practical method for PCs to cast two useful spells per round creative combos will be higher cost and more demanding and will thus be seen less often. In other words, you'll see more use of vanilla spells like magic missile, fireball and cone of cold and less creative use of things like Evard's Black Tentacles and Wall of Ice. Which means that instead of adding diversity to spell choices, the changes are reducing them.

You're right - you'll have to use teamwork instead. Hold Person + a CdG from the rogue wielding a blunt instrument should do nicely if you want to remove someone from the fight without hurting them. Or Hold Person plus Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush...any number of things.

You could "use teamwork" before. So instead of having two options: Use Hold Person or use a much riskier combination involving multiple people and strange manuevers, you have one option: use a risky combination involving multiple people and strange manuevers--possibly including Hold Person.

It just means that you'll have to work together with someone else rather than getting to do it all by yourself.

That's simply putting a candy coating around the "now characters X, Y, and Z will be less effective.

In this case, that means that the spellcaster will be less effective. If we made it require a character using the Aid Other action for fighters to make full attack options, we could say "what are you complaining about? It just means that you'll have to work together with someone else rather than getting to do it all by yourself." That would just be obscuring the fact that we'd just made fighters less effective. Similarly, if we increased the DC of all traps by 2, we could say "it just means that your rogue will have to work with someone else (Aid other for +2) rather than getting to do it all by himself." That would obscure the fact that we had just made the rogue's ability to detect and remove traps less effective.

Characters are SUPPOSED to be able to do some things "all by themselves." That's not selfish, non-team player gameplay.

When you can produce a fighter, rogue, or barbarian that can deal 10d6 damage to everyone within a 20' radius circle, in a single round, at a distance of 800 feet - please, let everyone know. I'll be curious to see how you do it.

Hmm. Spiked chain wielding fighter/barbarian/Frenzied Beserker--Empowered Bull's strength, 18 strength (16+2 increases), weapon specialization, GMW on a +1 frost chain, and whirlwind attack.
Str 29 raging and bull's strengthed.
Damage=2d4 (chain)+4 GMW, +1d6 Frost,+2 Wp spec, +13 str, +5 power attack=33.5 average damage to all targets in a 20' area--more to those he cleaves into. If he goes into a beserk frenzy, he can do even more damage.

It's a good deal more damage than the fireball since the fireball averages 35 points of damage but allows a save for 1/2 (or none if Evasion comes into play). Assuming a fairly maximized wizard with Greater Spell Focus Evocation, and a 24 int, the DC is still only 24. The kind of characters that have evasion will usually (more than 50%) make that save. Even characters without evasion will sometimes (maybe 20-30%) that save. Monsters advanced by HD will almost always make that save. (Since a CR bump of 2 (double HD) usually also doubles their saves). Fireball is also vulnerable to SR and elemental resistance (which is quite common among CR 10 creatures).

If I'm limited to 10th level and the FAQ interpretation of Whirlwind Attack with reach weapons, I'll have to settle for a 5 foot radius because I won't have Supreme Cleave. However, the entire 20' radius of a fireball is rarely useful so this character can probably duplicate the area damage effect although at significantly less range.

If you want a fighter capable of annihilating hordes of foes at range, you'll have to take an Arcane Archer using the Hail of Arrows ability. +5 Holy Shock bow and +5 arrows (both from an 11th level GMW with a bead of karma), +4 str modifier, prayer for 1d8+15+3d6=31 points of average damage to each target, no save for 1/2 and SR does not apply.

The ability of a fighter type to duplicate fireball is not really relevant, however. IME, most combats are not against hordes of low level orcs and goblins in tight formation who are vulnerable to fireballs. Many more fights are against an advanced Fiendish Elder Arrowhawk, a pair of Greater Earth Elementals or a trio of Bodaks. In those [much more common] cases, the damage output of a wizard with fireball pales in comparison to the damage output of a fighter. (And, while the fighter I described above is an unusual, highly optimized fighter, there's nothing at all unusual about a raging 18 str fighter/barbarian with an empowered bull's strength and a +3 elemental greatsword--such a character will be dealing an average of fifty or sixty points of damage/round against a single opponent. Without two spells a round, wizards or sorcerors have a lot of trouble competing with that kind of damage).

Black Arrow

First Post
Telekinesis fix?

Any insight into 3.5e telekinesis? I've always disliked the ambiguity of the violent thrust option. As written, it permits a CR 1 githyanki to hurl 4000 shuriken at an opponent... *really* hope the 3.5e team doesn't overlook this overpowered spell in the revision.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
It's far from perfect, but I'd limit the total damage from telekinetic throw to 1d6 per caster level. Or if I was feeling generous maybe 1 object per caster level.

John Crichton

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
Hmm. Spiked chain wielding fighter/barbarian/Frenzied Beserker--Empowered Bull's strength, 18 strength (16+2 increases), weapon specialization, GMW on a +1 frost chain, and whirlwind attack.
Str 29 raging and bull's strengthed.
Damage=2d4 (chain)+4 GMW, +1d6 Frost,+2 Wp spec, +13 str, +5 power attack=33.5 average damage to all targets in a 20' area--more to those he cleaves into. If he goes into a beserk frenzy, he can do even more damage.

It's a good deal more damage than the fireball since the fireball averages 35 points of damage but allows a save for 1/2 (or none if Evasion comes into play). Assuming a fairly maximized wizard with Greater Spell Focus Evocation, and a 24 int, the DC is still only 24. The kind of characters that have evasion will usually (more than 50%) make that save. Even characters without evasion will sometimes (maybe 20-30%) that save. Monsters advanced by HD will almost always make that save. (Since a CR bump of 2 (double HD) usually also doubles their saves). Fireball is also vulnerable to SR and elemental resistance (which is quite common among CR 10 creatures).

If I'm limited to 10th level and the FAQ interpretation of Whirlwind Attack with reach weapons, I'll have to settle for a 5 foot radius because I won't have Supreme Cleave. However, the entire 20' radius of a fireball is rarely useful so this character can probably duplicate the area damage effect although at significantly less range.

If you want a fighter capable of annihilating hordes of foes at range, you'll have to take an Arcane Archer using the Hail of Arrows ability. +5 Holy Shock bow and +5 arrows (both from an 11th level GMW with a bead of karma), +4 str modifier, prayer for 1d8+15+3d6=31 points of average damage to each target, no save for 1/2 and SR does not apply.

The ability of a fighter type to duplicate fireball is not really relevant, however. IME, most combats are not against hordes of low level orcs and goblins in tight formation who are vulnerable to fireballs. Many more fights are against an advanced Fiendish Elder Arrowhawk, a pair of Greater Earth Elementals or a trio of Bodaks. In those [much more common] cases, the damage output of a wizard with fireball pales in comparison to the damage output of a fighter. (And, while the fighter I described above is an unusual, highly optimized fighter, there's nothing at all unusual about a raging 18 str fighter/barbarian with an empowered bull's strength and a +3 elemental greatsword--such a character will be dealing an average of fifty or sixty points of damage/round against a single opponent. Without two spells a round, wizards or sorcerors have a lot of trouble competing with that kind of damage).
You don't need 2 spells a round to compensate for that kind of damage output. It's already balanced by the fighter needing to be in range to make the attack. And since he's going to need a full-round attack to do it, he'll be standing there for a least a round just getting off one attack (or 2). He'll most likely take a bit of a beating standing there compared to the spellcaster who should be mostly out of harm's way. Sure, the fighter has the HP to take some damage, but he is still in danger.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Elder-Basilisk said:

Hmm...where's that empowered bull's strength coming from? Oh...a spellcaster.

Also note that that's a 20' diameter, not a 20' radius - quite a bit less space.

Elder-Basilisk said:
It's a good deal more damage than the fireball since the fireball averages 35 points of damage but allows a save for 1/2 (or none if Evasion comes into play).

...yet does not require a to-hit roll against each opponent.

Elder-Basilisk said:
If you want a fighter capable of annihilating hordes of foes at range, you'll have to take an Arcane Archer using the Hail of Arrows ability. +5 Holy Shock bow and +5 arrows (both from an 11th level GMW with a bead of karma)

...again the caster. So, with a fourth level spell (from another caster) and a bunch of PrC abilities, you can outdo a third level spell.

Oh, and you have to be a caster, too.

Hmm. I'm not sure that example showed what you wanted it to show.

Elder-Basilisk said:
The ability of a fighter type to duplicate fireball is not really relevant, however.

You're right, but it is an example. Wizards can do plenty of damage-dealing in a fight, and anybody that is boo-hooing about them not being able to keep up because they can only cast one spell a round has not really thought it through.

Here's a thought, though: why should wizards be able to compete with fighters in the damage-dealing department? Why should they be even close?

Barring magic items (which apply to everyone), a fighter can't come even close to the ability to create a wall of force, or to fly above the heads of his opponents out of reach. He can't summon helpers or monsters out of nowhere. He can't vanish and reappear instantly half a world away. He can't make a single attack - a ranged touch attack, at that - and have a chance of putting even the most powerful foe out of the fight, no matter what. He can't go to another plane, take over someone's mind, or create objects from thin air.

So...why should wizards get to do all of that and beat the fighter for damage output? Don't seem fair to me.

J

Destil

Explorer
Shard O'Glase said:
It's far from perfect, but I'd limit the total damage from telekinetic throw to 1d6 per caster level. Or if I was feeling generous maybe 1 object per caster level.
TKT? Dragonrealms player?

I've house ruled it to one weapon of your size or smaller per caster level, which is a huge improvement for the wagon full of arrows issue.

Remove ads