Dragon 405 - Class Acts: Swordmage - The Winterguard of Cendriane

Klaus

First Post
I love it! Between this and the Knights of Rethmil, it is a good week for Swordmages!

Can't wait for these powers to hit the CB so I can stat up an Ensnaring Swordmage. It was my least favorite Aegis type, but you make me want to try it! So Kudos! :)

Shroomy

Adventurer
I love it! Between this and the Knights of Rethmil, it is a good week for Swordmages!

Can't wait for these powers to hit the CB so I can stat up an Ensnaring Swordmage. It was my least favorite Aegis type, but you make me want to try it! So Kudos! :)

Thanks! While I don't think they're a top tier defender or that I "fixed" them in any way, I think that I met my goal of giving them a bunch of new, cool options that would be a lot of fun to play around with.

Klaus

First Post
Thanks! While I don't think they're a top tier defender or that I "fixed" them in any way, I think that I met my goal of giving them a bunch of new, cool options that would be a lot of fun to play around with.
A Swordmage may not be the most effective defender, but it allows for some great tricks. For instance, mark the foe, retreat to the middle of your allies and send someone else to attack the foe. Then enforce the aegia by teleporting the foe to the middle of the party. Hilarity ensues! ;)

Nullzone

Explorer
Am I imagining things or are the Dimensional Cleave attacks illegal? Trigger is 'teleport an enemy to a square adjacent to you on your turn' and allows you to use the power as part of the Aegis of Ensnarement, but you can't make immediate actions on your own turn...?

chitzk0i

Explorer
Am I imagining things or are the Dimensional Cleave attacks illegal? Trigger is 'teleport an enemy to a square adjacent to you on your turn' and allows you to use the power as part of the Aegis of Ensnarement, but you can't make immediate actions on your own turn...?

The Special line give it a second trigger so it would read "when you teleport an enemy on your turn or when you use Aegis of Ensnarement". The real question is when will it ever trigger if you aren't Ensnaring, and suffice it to say you shouldn't be.

Klaus

First Post
The Special line give it a second trigger so it would read "when you teleport an enemy on your turn or when you use Aegis of Ensnarement". The real question is when will it ever trigger if you aren't Ensnaring, and suffice it to say you shouldn't be.
There are Swordmage powers that teleport an enemy adjacent to you:

Blade of Judgement (Daily 1)
Dimensional Vortex (Encounter 3)
Transposing Lunge (Encounter 3)
Evoker's Summoning (Encounter 7)
Hellspike Assault (Daily 9)
Dimensional Echoes (Daily 9)
Be Gone (Daily 9)
etc...

EDIT: to be clear: some of the powers I listed explicitly teleport an enemy to a space adjacent to you. Others simply let you teleport an enemy (such as Be Gone), and you can simply choose the destination to be an adjacent square.

Last edited:

MrMyth

First Post

They have triggers, but note that they are free actions, not immediate actions, so can indeed be used on your turn.

Neverfate

First Post

Yeah. Pretty much all of that. Ensnarement Swordmages do need a fix of some kind, but it didn't look like you were trying to force that. You added some cool powers to a class/build that needs to love. Kudos.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Always nice to see support for under-serviced classes. Two articles for swordmages in recent weeks - they might be on the cusp of no longer desperately needing help, and be ready for just kind of needing it.

Remove ads