• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Age 2

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Ah, just finished playthrough #1 with the rogue. I was wondering when that artifact would make a reappearance!

I'll probably do another playthrough some time this summer, when I need a break from things.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Of course, morally, you'd be supporting genocide, which is why I think it's tough to justify siding the templars under any circumstances.

In general, yes, until almost every mage end-game whips out blood magic. Then it's really easy to justify siding with the Templars. Of course, that could just be poor writing/battles.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
In general, yes, until almost every mage end-game whips out blood magic. Then it's really easy to justify siding with the Templars. Of course, that could just be poor writing/battles.

Very true, but of course you don't know that when you have to make your choices. I was VERY disappointed in Orsinius, and was waiting for an option that would let me talk him out of his disgusting little transformation!

And in the end, of course Meredith has a bit of a possession problem of her own.

The Serge

First Post
Sheesh, here we're having a nice conversation and you go throwing around words like "idiotic." Ok fine.
I wasn't responding directly to your comments. Or any on this thread, in fact. I was responding to comments at the Bioware Forums. It was not my intention to insult you (although I can understand why someone might feel insulted).

To be clear, I love the game. And I understand that the narrative flows toward a particular end game or set of end game options. My point was simply that what those options were and how you arrived at them ought to have better taken into account who your character was and what kind of things a character such as yourself might at least have attempted to do. There were a number of points at which I just felt like the choices with which I was faced didn't match up with what a rational person, even in a fantasy world, might have done.
I think having this expectation of final results based upon who and what your character is is reasonable to a point; however, this is a large world with lots of other powerful people with strong positions on important matters. To expect that your character's decisions should dictate things beyond a certain point is a little much.

That having been said, I do agree with you. One of my pet peeves with the game is that -- regardless of who you side with or what choices you make -- you're going to fight who you're going to fight. While I think the point the writers were trying to make is that both sides are completely nuts, your actions should have some of influence.

For example, I played a pretty Diplomatic Mage who deplored Blood Magic, always tried to help everyone, and went out of his way to protect Templars who weren't pricks (and kill mages who were down right evil). SPOILER
Given my actions throughout the game, there should have been an opportunity for me to talk Orsino down from the despair he was clearly feeling in the end-game to keep him from making the utterly foolish (and, frankly, quite out of character) decision he makes that forces you to fight him. Sure, maybe he's destined to die, but if so, perhaps Meredith kills him after I keep him from becoming that flesh golem thing.
END SPOILER

Still, I think the story's better than DAOs and, aside from some weird glitches (like certain DAO Companions showing up despite being dead in your game), I think it's a better product. They just need to make sure that your choices have lasting impact in the proper places.

Mallus

Legend
I'm probably midway through Act III. Just got the Merrill quest bug where she's mourning an NPC who hasn't died yet -- not sure the effect of it... I've read it can bugger her story arc sometimes.

As it stands, Dragon Age 2 is one of my favorite LGBT-friendly, faux-medieval splatterpunk soap opera simulators computer role-playing games. For all it's faults --take my reused assets, please-- it does a good job bringing it's world to, albeit completely-scripted, life. Better than the 1st one, where a lot of interesting detail got lost for me in the incredibly generic main quest storyline. I really cared about these ersatz, frequently blood-splattered characters, even if their dialog was sometimes totally at odds with their current situation/surroundings.

The most critical thing I can say about DA2 is it's no ME2. I guess I really dig Bioware's new direction... or the current refinements made to their old direction.

(the inventory and crafting can use *even more* streamlining!)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Did anyone become Viscount? I tried but then it just sorta died off and I ended up siding with the mages. I'm going to play through again as a mage and see if I can join the Templars at the end....
I did... twice! Keep doing what you're doing and you might pull it off...

fba827

Adventurer
Did anyone become Viscount? I tried but then it just sorta died off and I ended up siding with the mages. I'm going to play through again as a mage and see if I can join the Templars at the end....

I did, and I think the way I did it was ...

[sblock]
Side with the templars, but also when some mages come to you during the climax and ask to be spared saying they are innocent, you agree to let them turn themselves in so that Cullen likes you.
[/sblock]

anyway, i think that's what i did which got me the viscount status.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I only just finished the game, so probably won't play again for a few months, but I'm definitely going this route next time. I'd be curious to know if it works if you're a mage.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock]
Side with the templars, but also when some mages come to you during the climax and ask to be spared saying they are innocent, you agree to let them turn themselves in so that Cullen likes you.
You don't have to save the mages. Just side with the Templars at the end. [/sblock]

Remove ads