• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon/Dungeon sold, Chainmail axed

Glaurung

First Post
Dragon and OGL

So does this purchase of Dragon and Dungeon make items published theirin subject to the OGL like other 3rd party products? If so, this is actually pretty cool. I know I see feats, spells, etc. in Dragon that I'd love to use in my writing all the time.
Let's hope this transfer of them mags works out well--I just renewed my subscription!

-Michael Gill

Aven

First Post
Psychotic Jim said:
For me, it was only a matter of time before Chainmail got the axe. Several D&D "spin-off" games, like Alternity and Dragon Dice, have already came and gone in the same pattern.

Alternity was NOT a spin-off of DnD. It was completely it's own game. It wasn't that it had a short life span because of it's unpopularity, it was that it was shut down by wizards of the coast because they didn't see the need to compete with their new product.

Any solid news on the fate of Polyhedron and living greyhawk?

Did they go with Dragon and Dungeon, are they just gone period, or are they changing format?

Anbody know? Mr. Mona perhaps, he's always been very volcal on these boards.

Polhedrons become so good, i'd really hate to see it dissapear.

Staffan

Legend
Aven said:
Alternity was NOT a spin-off of DnD. It was completely it's own game. It wasn't that it had a short life span because of it's unpopularity, it was that it was shut down by wizards of the coast because they didn't see the need to compete with their new product.
According to Jim Butler on the Alternity mailing list, Alternity was bleeding money big time. They were making OK money on the core books, but the supplements just didn't sell well enough.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
This is strange news.

I'm right at resubscribe time for Dragon. I wonder who I'm supposed to contact now.

Storminator said:
Actually, Hasbro also has a games line, which includes some downright ancient games, such as Monopoly, Clue, and Chutes and Ladders. To say they don't understand long term sales is completely incorrect.
Actually, those games were owned by other companies for decades (Parker Bros. for the ones you mention, I think); Hasbro just acquired them fairly recently. So, Hasbro doesn't necessarily understand long term sales. What Hasbro apparently understand is the explosion of "themed" Monopoly and Clue games.

Jim Butler

Explorer
Staffan said:

According to Jim Butler on the Alternity mailing list, Alternity was bleeding money big time. They were making OK money on the core books, but the supplements just didn't sell well enough.

True enough. And Alternity would have been a success at any other company; just not one with WotC's overhead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads