• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon/Dungeon sold, Chainmail axed

Droogie

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:

Too bad Gygax won't buy the game back...

I really wouldn't want to see this happen.

I'm grateful that he and Arneson got the game rolling, but quite frankly, I never really cared for his work otherwise.

Hi Chris! :)

Thanks for dropping by to clarify.

Pramas said:
In the original plan for Chainmail, the skirmish game was to last all of three months (it was meant as a teaser/intro). Then the scaled up, mass battle rules were to be released. It was only later, under the direction of a new brand manager, that the decision was made to cancel the mass battle game and try to "own" the skirmish format (over the protests of the people in the company who actually knew something about minis games). We can see how well that worked.

The initial proposal sounds fantastic too! Which makes the outcome all the more disappointing! :(

Agamon

Adventurer
That would be so cool if Peter bought D&D again. He was WotC, it was his baby. It grew too big and now with him gone, it's just a big faceless piece of a big faceless conglomerate. If Peter got D&D back, he'd get all the cool designers back under him, too, and D&D would be where it belongs.

It is unlikely, but it'd be great.

I'm happy to hear that Lisa will be involved in the ownership of the mags, and that the staff are being kept together. That's good news.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Pramas said:

In the original plan for Chainmail, the skirmish game was to last all of three months (it was meant as a teaser/intro). Then the scaled up, mass battle rules were to be released. It was only later, under the direction of a new brand manager, that the decision was made to cancel the mass battle game and try to "own" the skirmish format (over the protests of the people in the company who actually knew something about minis games). We can see how well that worked.

Dang, now that was what I was hoping for from Chainmail. When I found out it was a skirmish game, my interest dropped to nil.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Pramas said:

'Own the skirmish format'?

To quote Jon Stewart

Whhaaaaaaaaaaaa???

Gag! Chainmail is better off dead in this case. If the 'new guys' never had any plans to expand it beyond the 'skirmish format' it was stillborn to begin with.

Too bad it forced out so many good people from WotC.....

rounser

First Post
originally posted by rounser (i.e. me):
Everything, eh? Perhaps Hasbro are now in more of a mood to agree to Adkison's offer to buy D&D off of them...
Sorry folks, I'm spreading misinformation here. I checked the interview on GamingReport which I thought I saw it in, and there are no words to that effect. Please discount this rumour! I am full of it on this one!

Last edited:

BButler

First Post
Pramas said:

I would have loved to have Chainmail scale up into mass combat rules, too, and I think that the lack of such rules hurt the game.

However, I do think that Chainmail is a great skirmish game. :) Thank you, Chris, for helping to bring it about!

Brian

Ysgarran

Agamon said:

Dang, now that was what I was hoping for from Chainmail. When I found out it was a skirmish game, my interest dropped to nil.

This is exactly reflects my thoughts also.
I only bought a couple of the miniatures and that was not to play chainmail.

WSmith

First Post
Frosty said:

Not as good as Hobgoblin I can tell you. ;)

New_Hobgoblin_bottle_label_small3.jpg

Oh, Yes! I have a case of them sitting in my frig' right now!

:D :D :D :D :D

Green Knight

First Post

Damn. Now I'm REALLY disappointed! I could've been playing a mass combat miniature wargame of D&D for the last 6 months! :( I've wanted one for SO long, and WoTC goes and screws it up. :mad: And from what I hear, they're gonna replace Chainmail with a MageKnight rip-off. I.E. Pre-painted plastic miniatures. ARRGH! If I wanted that then I'd be playing MageKnight! What a waste.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads