• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon/Dungeon sold, Chainmail axed

Henry

Autoexreginated
Frosty said:
I remember longing for Chainmail to come out only to forget about the minute I saw the flash-presentation on WotCs website. I could do a better wargame on the back of a beer coaster, sheesh.

So, what stats would YOU give a Sam Adams, facing down an army of marauding Miller Lites?

Ssendam

Explorer
Hmmmm, hold on let me get my soap box.

I've read most of the posts on this so far and want to summarise a few thoughts on what has been said.

1) Chainmail was always going to be a tough game to get going mainly I think due to the competition, (Games Workshop as the prime example). I don't think enough thought was given to the rational of the game, a skirmish game is very close to the combat of D&D anyway, but more limited and I would have thought few RPG'ers would have have the incentive to try it out.

2) There is much debate about the future of D&D and if it will be
eventually sold, or how many books/revisions of the core rules will be done if it is.

If Hasbro or WotC become more disinterested we will be in the same place we were a few years ago, with crap products. If selling it stimulates and keeps the game fresh, good. It is a very strong brand and I think it will survive.

Don't think for one second any owner will not revise the core books, they will. Mostly for commercial reasons but also because over time people want to addess the games bad points. Games Workshop operate on a three year cycle for thier core games, (or at least used to).

3) Magazines Sale

I think the sale of Dragon is a mistake, it's the ideal vehicle to
showcase new products. The good news is that it should become more balanced and it seems as if it is in good hands.

Dungeon shoudn't be affected too much I don't think.

OVERALL

My biggest concern is that the quality of material from WotC, (which is, IMHO excellent), will be detrimentally affected by any of the changes.

Oh well, anyone disagree? (especially anyone with inside knowledge)

Re

Ssendam

zilch

First Post
Would they sell D&D right after splashing out $160,000 for the fantasy setting search?
Or, could they keep that, d20 Modern, and Forgotten Realms, keep making stuff for them, but sell Dungeons and Dragons?

Wizards of the Coast could become a d20 Company. Wouldn't that be fun?

Frosty

First Post
Henry said:

So, what stats would YOU give a Sam Adams, facing down an army of marauding Miller Lites?

Not as good as Hobgoblin I can tell you. ;)

New_Hobgoblin_bottle_label_small3.jpg

KnowTheToe

First Post
I am looking forward to a new publisher for the mags. I was tired of paying money to get a WoTC advertisment for their next product. I can see a lot more diversity and exposure to the other players in the game.

afreed

First Post
Future of Dragon

Personally, I'd love to see Dragon go back to being a general RPG magazine. It's been many years since I bought an issue, just because I don't have $6 worth of interest in a fairly small amount of D&D content and a handy chunk of previews and advertising. When I consider the choice of 3 issues of Dragon in its current form vs. a real sourcebook, the choice is easy.
On the other hand, if Dragon brought back Rick Swan for RPG reviews, did book reviews, did high-quality articles on D&D, d20, and the occasional other system, it would be well worth my money.

Staffan

Legend
Morrus said:

Not possible. The OGL can't be cancelled.
However, the release of the SRD *could* conceivably be halted. In case Peter or Ryan buys D&D I wouldn't consider that particularly likely, however.

Numion

First Post
I wouldn't want Dragon as general RPG mag; it should stay D&D. I have no need for general RPG mag, because I'll get all the info on non D&D games from the web. Crunchy bits for D&D I don't get from the web, so I'll buy the mag.

I doubt things will change much, though. Sky still isn't falling, and Dragon and Dungeaon are quite popular magazines, why change them? (And risk alienating consumers)

Ssendam

Explorer
I wouldn't want Dragon as general RPG mag; it should stay D&D. I have no need for general RPG mag, because I'll get all the info on non D&D games from the web. Crunchy bits for D&D I don't get from the web, so I'll buy the mag.

No gerneral as in other systems, but general as in a wider range of input on D&D.

On another note: How will the sage advice work?

Hi all! :)

In my opinion Chainmail would have been a success if it had carried with it official d20 Mass Battle Rules. Then include unit/skirmish rules based on those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads