Dragon Magazine Collections

maransreth

Explorer
Over the Easter long weekend, my wife and I spent the time constructively by putting up shelves for our wardrobe, shelves in the spare room and fixing the shead. Putting up shelves in the back room allowed me to finally drag out the Dragon magazines that have been in storage for the last number of years, put them into magazine holders and get them out so I can use them readily.

I found that I have 155 Dragon magazines ranging from the latest (330) to one with no cover from 1983 (Vol 7, no. 11). (BTW If anyone knows this issue number, I would really appreciate it :D ) I have continuous numbers from 219 to the present, but I started collecting Dragon mags since issue 188. The reason I dont have continuous issues from 188 is that back then Dragon had articles on not just D&D, but Traveller, Marvel, etc and I was only interested in issues with mainly D&D. I have a number of issues before 188, but they were found in second hand bookstores and the like.

Even my username that I am known by every on the Internet (maransreth) was generated from a Dragon article that contained an Elven Name Generator. See if you can work out what the name means. ;)

Anyway, my questions for everyone else - From what issue did you start your Dragon collection? From what issue number do you have the collection continuous? Do you still make regular use of older Dragon issues? Do you have a favourite issue? That sort of thing.

GreyOne

Explorer
I started getting Dragon regularly around 69, but stopped around 190. The earliest I have is about 36 I think. Then I took it up again around 240 and have them all since except for a couple. I went through a phase where I found a bunch of the early 200's and got most of them.

In my opinion, Dragon was the best between 70 to 130. I used to love the multiple genres, and the modules and the games.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I started around issue #43, intentionally cutting articles out so I wouldn't collect. It didn't work. I own #1-330 continuous, plus the full runs of Stategic Review, Little Wars, and Imagine Magazine. And White Dwarf from #1 to 110.
I tend to go overboard, don't I? :heh:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I started with Issue #117 and I have every issue since. I have about 70% of the ones prior to #117, most in near perfect shape. I also have the Dragon collection on cd (issues #1-250), if that counts.

Digital M@

Explorer
I just recycled my collection a month back. They were sitting in stacks at the bottom of my gaming closet and I never went through them. I can cancelled my subscription around a year ago for the same reason, good or bad, I just never really did more than casually glance through them.

diaglo

Adventurer
my elderly parents recycled my collection of Poly, White Dwarf, Imagine, and The Strategic Review/The Dragon/Dragon

hundreds of magazines in their attic... gone. probably thousands of Dollars worth. :eek:

to them they weren't being used and just taking up space.

to me.. i'd forgotten to tell them to send them to me...

when i did remember it was too late.

Allandaros

Explorer
I've got 'bout twenty or so from around the late eighties-early nineties, and the CD collection, which was one of the best thirty bucks I've ever spent.

paulsometimes

First Post
I have about a dozen issues or so, used to be many more, but I gave them all away when I joined the military. Kind of wish I'd kept them now as I'm sure they'd help me in getting reacquainted with the game.

Paul

CarlZog

Explorer
Allandaros said:
... and the CD collection, which was one of the best thirty bucks I've ever spent.

Especially since that CD archive is fetching $70-$90 now. :( The worst $30 I never spent.

But I do own probably about 100 Dragons anyway, starting with around #37.

Carl

Remove ads