• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magazine Collections

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
diaglo said:
my elderly parents recycled my collection of Poly, White Dwarf, Imagine, and The Strategic Review/The Dragon/Dragon

hundreds of magazines in their attic... gone. probably thousands of Dollars worth. :eek:

to them they weren't being used and just taking up space.

to me.. i'd forgotten to tell them to send them to me...

when i did remember it was too late.

ouch... that is horrible. :(

loki44

Explorer
I started my subscription with #41. I still have 41-49 but for some reason I can't find 50-59. Then I have 60-219, when I let my subscription lapse. I picked it up again at 264 and have every issue since. Just received #331 yesterday. As far as other vintage gaming mags go my story isn't as tragic as diaglo's. I had every White Dwarf from 1 to about year 1990 but sold them because I needed cash. I'd love to keep my old Dragon's in a more handy place but for now they're mostly bagged and stored in plastic bins.

Not sure why anyone would want to know this.

woodelf

First Post
maransreth said:
Anyway, my questions for everyone else - From what issue did you start your Dragon collection? From what issue number do you have the collection continuous? Do you still make regular use of older Dragon issues? Do you have a favourite issue? That sort of thing.

oldest: somewhere in the 50s, or maybe even 40s (i don't feel like going to check right now). Contiguous from #88 to something like #276, and one more issue since then.

Yep, i use older issues all the time. Roughly, from about #86 to about #150 see regular use. I rarely use the more-recent issues. Though, of course, there are exceptions, and good articles in most of them, except the last couple years. [The last 3 years i had a subscription, i had told myself that, even if there wasn't a single other useful article in teh entire year, the subscription was worth it for the RPG reviews alone. And i'd had to remind myself of that, because they'd gotten down to on the order of one useful article per issue. When they dropped RPG reviews, i wrote them an impassioned letter, and dropped my subscription.]

I don't have favorite issues, but i have favorite articles:
"Tucker's Kobolds"
"The Sunset World"
"Six Very Special Shields"
"Welcome to Malachi"
the article on spell-focusing items ["Good Stuff, For a Spell"?]
the revised bard and monk classes (still think those are the best versions, all-around, ever published for D&D) ["He's Got a Lot To Kick About" and "Singing a New Toon", i believe]
the drake article (shadow, faerie, and...something-else drakes. had a shadow drake as a PC who was another PC's familiar, once)
the scout class (though not special enough to bother converting to D20 System--plenty of other classes that basically fill the role)
"The Real Barbarians"
the whole series of Africa articles, but particularly the one on demi-human-ish and humanoid races
many, if not most, of the non-system-specific "how to" articles, such as "The DM's Ten Commandments", though that's far from my favorite--but i'm not recalling any specific titles at the moment. There needs to be more of that sort of stuff available to beginning GMs these days.
"Get Your Priorities Strait" [not sure if that's the right title]. The basis for the alignment system that i use to this day (when using alignment). Also "For God and Country", on the same topic.
"A Plethora of Paladins"
"The Ecology of the Gibbering Mouther". There were a lot of good ecology articles over the years, but few, if any, that were as great of a read.
the original "Creature Catalog" (still possibly the best overall collection of monsters i've seen published for D&D/D20 System, despite its brevity).
the landragons article

Well, i'm sure there're lots more, but those're the ones that come immediately to mind, without any digging to refresh my memory.

woodelf

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Ps anyone know what issue advanced aboleths are in?
I know I have it around somewhere but with 100+ issues ...

Well, assuming you mean the ones presented in The Ecology of the Aboleth, you're looking for Mar '88. (Up to a certain point, i had all the new monsters and ecology articles photocopied and inserted into my Monstrous Compendium binders, so they're pretty easy to find.)

Remove ads