• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magazine Collections

Dragon Mage

First Post
I started collecting them at issue 59, the first time I saw it in the store. I had a complete collection from 59 to current and I was happy. Then my best friend that own a comic book store gave me issue #1. Thanks to him I had to collect the rest! After a year of snipping on ebay my collection is complete! All this suffering due to a friend! Who needs enemies!

woodelf

First Post
maransreth said:
Something related - over the years Dragon has hosted a number of comic series. Which is your favourite?
Mine would be a toss up between Aaron William's Nodwick or Floyd or Elmore's Snarfquest.

Blasphemer! There is no gamer comic better than Wormy! --not even Order of the Stick, Knights of the Dinner Table, or Dork Tower.

woodelf said:
Blasphemer! There is no gamer comic better than Wormy! --not even Order of the Stick, Knights of the Dinner Table, or Dork Tower.
Late Wormy rarely made any sense. What's New? with Phil and Dixie was always better, when it was in Dragon. The fact that it's gone through several magazines now reduces its cache' a bit.

I started with 63 and lucky bought it late as 64 was out the next week. Picked up back issues sporatically back to 50. Stopped somewhere in the 220s. I only own the recent ones that had the Forgotten Realms map.

"This is one of the simpler minigames. It's called Escape from Chthulhu. All you do is read the incantation inside.... and escape!"

"Booga!"

thalmin said:
I started around issue #43, intentionally cutting articles out so I wouldn't collect.

Alzrius said:
A friend of mine's mother was at our tae kwon do class when she overheard me mention the magazine, and said she was throwing out her husband's old collection of magazines. I volunteered to take them off her hands, and ended up with about 175 issues that ended almost exactly where I had begun collecting! Particular issues were missing, and for some reason the earliest ones had their sections on Greyhawk deities carefully removed (I never found out why), but I was still ecstatic to have them.

Hmmmm.....

:p

I have some old issues (double digit #s, but not very low numbers). But I started buying them all with 3e; I think I have every issue from #274 onward (and the CD archive as well).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
For those of you who would like to establish a collection, check out the marketplace forum. DM_Jeff is selling off a collection of issues 100-199.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Started a subscription with issue #60, but I made it to a GenCon and managed to get most issues in the 40's and 50's shortly thereafter (and even a few in the 20's and 30's). My sub recently ran right at around #310 and it was no longer in the family budget.

Altalazar

First Post
diaglo said:
my elderly parents recycled my collection of Poly, White Dwarf, Imagine, and The Strategic Review/The Dragon/Dragon

hundreds of magazines in their attic... gone. probably thousands of Dollars worth. :eek:

to them they weren't being used and just taking up space.

to me.. i'd forgotten to tell them to send them to me...

when i did remember it was too late.

Now that HURTS. My parents had some of my stuff for a while, but my mother always calls me and asks if she can throw something away or not. Of course, now it is all in my own house, so my gaming stuff is safe.

jmucchiello said:
Late Wormy rarely made any sense. What's New? with Phil and Dixie was always better, when it was in Dragon. The fact that it's gone through several magazines now reduces its cache' a bit.

I started with 63 and lucky bought it late as 64 was out the next week. Picked up back issues sporatically back to 50. Stopped somewhere in the 220s. I only own the recent ones that had the Forgotten Realms map.

"This is one of the simpler minigames. It's called Escape from Chthulhu. All you do is read the incantation inside.... and escape!"

"Booga!"

I started with 63 as well - and will never forget the cover - which goes with the new NPC class - the Bandit - as a dark-clad looking figure walks through the misty woods.

I was in California, LA, visiting family (having driven all the way from Michigan with my parents) and I saw the Dragon on a shelf at a bookstore. I was quite young, and had only recently started getting into D&D. I had no idea there was a magazine dedicated to it. I was so excited, I thought it was so cool. After I found it, I started looking for it in other bookstores while in California - I dragged my parents to a few other ones (well, as best I could at that young age)...

Stik said:
I started with issue 62, and have not missed an issue since. I can still picture the cover- an armored man on horseback fighting two or three orcs with a forest and a mountain peak behind.

... and thus managed to find in the next book store a copy of issue 62, and I also remember that cover vividly. Unfortunately, the only copy I could find had a loose, almost off, cover. Thankfully, I was able to find a better copy MUCH later.

When I got home, the first thing I did was subscribe, and my subscription started with issue 64, and lasted til 89, then I subscribed again years later, when I hit college and actually could really play regularly. Then I stopped playing a long time, and my subscription just continued, sending issues to my parents house - it finally ran out, just when I was getting interested in D&D again (3E came out) and I resubscribed and have had it ever since. In my college years, I decided to complete my collection, having found a large cache of old Dragons. (I went to a used bookstore, found a Strategic Review (the last issue) and asked about it and the owner showed me a full box with dozens of Dragons going back to the teens. I bought them all on the spot and the owner threw in the TSR for free.

I spent years getting the rest, finally getting issue 1 at Gen Con (the only one I went to, back in '94, I think it was). I also have all of the TSR issues. And when Dungeon first came out, I got it, starting with issue 7, and only a gap later on in the 60s-70s. I now have all of them as well.

So as it stands, I have every issue of the Strategic Review, every issue of Dragon, every issue of Dungeon, and I also have the Dragon CD-ROM archive. And it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside to have them all. Perhaps it is just nostalgia, but nothing makes me happier than having all those old Dragons, in terms of my gaming collection. And the Dungeons are great for adventure ideas, even where the edition is woefully incompatible.

woodelf

First Post
D+1 said:
Obviously I am now COMMITTED to never, EVER calling it quits on the collection, but I need to move to a bigger apartment or something because I consult back issues infrequently at best but they take up a lot of VERY critical shelf space.

Filing cabinet. Get a large 4-drawer filing cabinet, 29" deep, letter-size. Buy a couple boxes of manilla envelopes. Based on my collection, you should be able to just fit the entire run of Dragon into one of those...for now. Buy another filing cabinet, and you'll be good for a long time. (Or just get a 5-drawer to start with.) Anyway, stick each magazine into a folder, label the folder, and stick them in the drawers in order. Very efficient, the folders protect the magazines from getting their covers torn off, and thus let you pack them a lot tighter, and the staple-bound issues don't stand up so well on a shelf anyway. Besides, even at best the spine of a Dragon mag doesn't tell you much about what's in it, so having them spine-out on the shelf isn't all that helpful, so you're not even losing that.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I store mine in individual magazine bags, then in file boxes. The bags are thinner than envelopes, pretty much frictionless, clear so you can see the covers, and acid-free. They are available at many game stores (I know at least one that has them in stock ;) ).
Just be sure to pick up the magazine, not comic-sized, bags.
I would recommend getting a few backer boards to use with the first 20 or so issues. The early mags were pretty thin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads