• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magazine Collections

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I bought issue #212 while I was on vacation with my family at Disney World. I came back to find my old man had gotten me a subscription that began with issue #213, and I've kept it going since.

A friend of mine's mother was at our tae kwon do class when she overheard me mention the magazine, and said she was throwing out her husband's old collection of magazines. I volunteered to take them off her hands, and ended up with about 175 issues that ended almost exactly where I had begun collecting! Particular issues were missing, and for some reason the earliest ones had their sections on Greyhawk deities carefully removed (I never found out why), but I was still ecstatic to have them.

Of course, then I got the Dragon CD-ROM Archive as a birthday gift later, and it all became moot, but still. ;)

Glyfair

Explorer
The earliest? About #30 or so. Another player I gamed with at the time was the one who subscribed first. I would borrow his issues.

Continual? I started picking them up regularly since an issue or two before 3E. After that I've tried to fill in the issues between #250 and that, since I have the Archive. I'm only missing a few isssues there.

I still have a lot of Dragon's eventually I want to get rid of, from before #250. They take up too much space for something I can reference on the CD-ROM.

maransreth

Explorer
Andre, Thanks for the issue number.

I also have the Dragon CD Archive, but have not looked at it since I bought it basically. I can see a use for copying the pdfs to the computer, but dont really want to install the program, even though the search functionally is great. I dont want to install it due to the GUI.

Something related - over the years Dragon has hosted a number of comic series. Which is your favourite?
Mine would be a toss up between Aaron William's Nodwick or Floyd or Elmore's Snarfquest.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I have almost every issue from #274 forward, only missing thirteen (from 275-279, 282, 285, 294-297, 327 and 328). I have a subscription, so I won't be missing any future issues. I have duplicates of the issues that had the Faerûn four part poster maps. I also own the CD-Rom archive. I eventually plan to get the PDFs from the archive on to one DVD for easier searching.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I started collecting with issue 92 and stopped in the early 200's
with a missing year in the middle
my brother in law gave me his collection for a x-mas gift and I got 65-94# from him
Whee! 9 hells Rulz!

I have maybe 12 issues since 3rd ed. bought individually based on intrest.
Much of my collection is boxed in my parents house, while issues that still have some use get transfered to my home. The last was issue 82 - rules for spell research, rules are out of date but it has 100 magical book titles.

Ps anyone know what issue advanced aboleths are in?
I know I have it around somewhere but with 100+ issues ...

JoeGKushner

First Post
Started about 100 for the old Ares Section with Marvel Super Heros FASERIP system but have issues back to about #50 or so up to the modern era.

Orius

Legend
maransreth said:
Something related - over the years Dragon has hosted a number of comic series. Which is your favourite?
Mine would be a toss up between Aaron William's Nodwick or Floyd or Elmore's Snarfquest.

I liked Floyd, it was one of the reasons I started following the magazine regularly. Nodwick is fun too.

I enjoyed the run of KotD in the magazine.

Not at all familiar with the early stuff, so I can't comment there.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
My earliest Dragon is, I think, #16. I have a good sized collection (probably about 60 issues) of 1st Edition Dragon magazines, all received as a gift from one of my players becsause they were taking up space. I got my subscription at 310 and have every one since.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads