[Dragon Magic] Dragonfire Adept build

RigaMortus2

First Post
I built this for the next campaign I am playing in, just wanted to get some feedback. He's not too much of a damage dealer, but his breath weapon is more geared to disable the enemy in combat. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can boost up the damage of the breath weapon in early levels, please feel free.

Human
Dragonfire Adept 18/Totemist 2
Progression: DFA 1/Totemist 2/DFA +17

Attributes Order of Importance: Con > Dex > Cha > Int > Wis > Str

37 Point Buy (we use a house rule of 33+1d6 point buy)
Str 10 +0
Dex 16 +3
Con 17 +3
Int 14 +2
Wis 10 +0
Cha 12 +1

BAB: +10/+5

Fort +17 (+14 base, +3 Con)
Ref +12 (+9 base, +3 Dex)
Will +11 (+11 base, +0 Wis)

Feats
(H) Entangling Exhalation [RoDr p101]
(1) Ability Focus: Breath Weapon [MM p 303]
(3) Bonus Essentia
(6) Open Least Chakra (Crown)
(9) Exhaled Barrier [RoDr p101]
(12) To be determined
(15) To be determined
(18) To be determined

Essentia: 4 (2 Base +2 Bonus)
Soulmelds (3): Blink Shirt (totem) [4], Threefold Mask of Chimera [0], Ankheg Breastplate [0]

Invocations
(Least) See the Unseen
(Least) Magic Insight
(Lesser) Walk Unseen
(Lesser) Draconic Flight > Humanoid Shape
(Greater) Baleful Geas
(Greater) Devour Magic
(Dark) Energy Immunity
(Dark) Draconic Flight, Greater

Breath Weapon (8d6) Effect
(2nd level) Lightning Breath
(5th level) Shaped Breath
(10th level) Enduring Breath
(12th level) Sleep Breath
(15th level) Discorporating Breath of Bahamut

We very rarely play to higher levels, and I think this character is very good at early on. At level 1, the save for the breath weapon will be DC 15 (10 +3 Con +2 ability focus) and by level 20 it is DC 28 (10 +9 half class level +2 ability focus +7 Con) w/o any other enhancements. Here are some tricks/combos I can pull off:

Level 1) Not much of a damage dealer, but the Entangling Exhalation will slow my opponents down, as well as give them big penalities to hit, to AC, and to casting spells.

Level 2 - 3) These levels are great. With the combination of Totemist soulmelds I improve my AC by +2 (+3 with essentia), and I can Standard Action breath on my enmeies, and Move Action to teleport 30 feet away to safety with the Blink Shirt. Get cover being my allies or behind a structure.

Level 6) This is a real "power" level. I can now bind my Chimera Mask, so I can Move up to my enemies, Standard to breath on them, Chimera Mask to get an extra Move Action then use it to dimenson door away to safty. Sure I get a -5 to hit, but I don't need to roll to hit. The only problem I need to worry about is the -5 to AC, but I will be away from the enemies (I hope) and behind cover, so hopefully I won't be attacked. I will probably only use this for emergency "get out of jail" kind of situations since there is a big penalty to my AC from doing it.

Level 7) I can now Shape my breath weapon so I can breath through 4 of my allies w/o them getting affected.

Level 9) I can now make an opaque 10x10 wall via my breath weapon thanks to Exhaled Barrier. Good for cover and battlefield control. Also by this level I will have Walk Unseen. So when I use the Chimera Mask + Blink Shirt trick, I can use my Standard Action next round to turn invisible.

Our group does not really get to the high levels. I think the way I built this character, I will have something to do each level, and he is strong for his level for those early levels anyway. My only complaint is I wish I could find a way to increase breath weapon damage (more consistanly then Maximize Breath Weapon, though I may just get that feat later on).

Remove ads