• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Rider

pawsplay

Hero
Although they rarely do, dragons can take class levels. I'd let the dragon age one time, then have them gain class levels after that.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
sorry for the late answer.

it's the dragonlance version. do you guys think it's too powerful? I'm trying to convince my DM to allow the DR class

Last edited:

The fastest way to get the Dragonrider class is 9 levels of Paladin. Because you can get a Dragonish mount (The Dragonelle) at level 9 with the dragon mount feat. This is particularly important if you're a Medium character like a human. Note that having a dragonish Paladin's Mount means a greatly reduced progression on Paladin's Mount abilities so it'll probably wind up weaker than a horse would anyway.

It's not that the prereqs are harsh, they're easy to get, but it's really hard to get a dragon cohort big enough to carry you.

The lowest ECL of a Medium Dragon 12 for a Young White Dragon. If you want a non-evil dragon you have to wait for a Brass Dragon at ECL 14. If you're a medium character the ECLs go up to 17 and 18 for Evil and Good Large Dragons, respectively. You can reduce ECL by 3 with the right feat but even so, given the way leadership works at best you can get that ridable dragon by 11th level unless you pick a race that's smaller than small. If you're medium and non-evil you'll probably need to reach near-epic levels to get a dragon you can ride without the Paladin's Mount trick.

I don't think the class is broken for straight-up combat because it's so hard to find a halfway decent dragon cohort (barring a purely role-played mount of course). However Dragons have a very powerful blindsense that renders ambushes, sneak attacks, and the like very difficult.

Im sure this will go unanswered, but just out of curiosity, how would a Dragon Rider/Dragon Shaman multi-class work out? I know it sounds stupid but I think after that, you'd go pretty damn unstoppable dragon wise. Please respond

frankthedm

First Post
The class itself might not be too powerful, but the Dragon large enough to ride probably is.

The lowest Powah large dragon is the red as it turns out. 10HD and CR 5. The rest do not hit large until a few HD/CR later.

dracomountuo9.png

After skills and feats, that is quite the 'pet'.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads