• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Rider

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Just how powerful can this class be? since it has a dragon as a ride, it must be pretty much unstopable right?

what's the quickest way to it? fighter or ranger?

what's a good strategy to use with it?

would you as a DM allow this PrC? and if so, would there be some kind of setting in which you wouldn't allow it? like say...a desert themed campaign?

sorry for this sudden list of qeustions, but I'm a bit overloaded with work now, so I can't make a big topic

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
You might want to tell people what book it's from (i.e., Dragonlance Campaign Setting).

Is it from there? My first thought was Draconomicon.

To the OP - note that in the Draconomicon that having a dragon to ride is not a benefit of the class. That is no doubt part of the RP leading up to the class that is necessary. If you take away the dragon and judge it purely on the class I think it is a solid one if only for 5 levels.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Interestingly enough, it's in both, although each is different. Dragon Rider in the DLCS has 10 levels and Dragonrider in Draconomicon only has 5.

Curious - id the dragon assumed in the DLCS? Because it really is hardly mentioned in the Draconomicon class listing except to say that "on a dragon you can do these things..." Do you get a dragon with the DLCS listing?

Wolf72

Explorer
with some minor adjusments the draconomicon version might work for other flying critters (hippogriffs, griffons, pegasaii-sp, wyverns, spider eaters ... etc)

moritheil

First Post
Wyverns are technically dragons, aren't they?

To the OP: You'll find that dragon LA is designed to prevent flat-out unstoppability.

Nonlethal Force said:
Curious - id the dragon assumed in the DLCS? Because it really is hardly mentioned in the Draconomicon class listing except to say that "on a dragon you can do these things..." Do you get a dragon with the DLCS listing?

It works like the Leadership feat. There's a list (quite an extensive one) with all different types of dragons and what level you need to be to have one as your mount. I think you're supposed to start small and build up; I guess the dragon is supposed to age with you.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
It works like the Leadership feat. There's a list (quite an extensive one) with all different types of dragons and what level you need to be to have one as your mount. I think you're supposed to start small and build up; I guess the dragon is supposed to age with you.

Thanks for the reply. That is fairly different than the Draconomicon version then. I suppose it may not be too much different than the BoED version of exalted animal companions....

Re: the dragon age thingy, however, that is something that I've never understood. Dragons age so much slower than humans (and really all but elves. If the dragon ages as you gain class levels and as quickly as people level (13.3333 combats or so) that must really be hard to do as a DM! I'd assume that it'd beeasier to create an association of dragon riders that is in partnership with dragons that allow themselves to be ridden for the right cause.

If it's a one-off, in Dragonlance at least, just have Paladine or Takhisis make the dragon age faster than normal to coincide with the PC's level ups. Of course, I would bond the two together so the PC would be giving up variety in exchange for a constantly powering up dragon.

Remove ads