D&D 5E Dragon Talk on Tyranny of Dragons

dave2008

Legend
I acknowledge based on overwhelming evidence this was not the adventure that almost killed 5e.
I should have added the qualifier that this massive turd of an adventure almost killed 5e for my group and myself. Based on our experiences with it.
I realize this is all old news, but this discussion does make me want to go back and read through the books.

Personally I don't like published adventures to run as adventures, but I do like to use them for ideas and to steal bits and pieces. From that perspective, HotDQ and RoT seems a good as any other published adventure I've looked at.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I acknowledge based on overwhelming evidence this was not the adventure that almost killed 5e.
I should have added the qualifier that this massive turd of an adventure almost killed 5e for my group and myself. Based on our experiences with it.

That's fair: we had a good time with, though it required some hustle. The pros outweighed the cobs in my own experience, but the cons are very real.

I call shenanigans! This was a setup for a punchline?

bravo
No shenanigans or punchline. Our group just really does not like this adventure.
To us 5e began with the Starter Set. The next 5e adventure after that is Out of the Abyss. I only say this because we do not have experience with PotA.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No shenanigans or punchline. Our group just really does not like this adventure.
To us 5e began with the Starter Set. The next 5e adventure after that is Out of the Abyss. I only say this because we do not have experience with PotA.

Princes of the Apocalypse is really good, if a bit of a grind. Very sandboxy, dungeon heavy. Very well setup to follow Lost Mines of Phandelver.

pukunui

Legend
I put them in the city from the start, interacting with npcs in a tavern, and then the attack hits. The owner of the tavern was a retired adventurer and B-lined to the dragon while asked them to save the townfolk. That made them invested and showed the power of the dragon when it killed the tavern owner.
I did this as well!

Remove ads