• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn in Faerun

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I just don't see how a bad pastiche of Egyptian and Babylonian gods/culture is MORE interesting than dragonborn. Unther, Mulhorand, and Maztica could have stayed gone. Has anyone even played in thise nations? Granted, I started in 4e when they were gone, but having read up on yhem I'm lik3...meh. Doesn't add to the setting at all. I don't want to play on ancient Earth.

Mirtek

Hero
. Considering it didn't take Drizzt's reputation long to spread enough that Jarlaxle could claim to be him somewhere out in the sticks and get free drinks in a tavern,
dudn't the novel say that this failed to get him anything most if the times due to no one knowing who Drizzt is?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I'll be honest, that one probably would have snuck past me, too. Probably because it's Buttercup mentioning one of Humperdinck's (few) virtues. And also happens just a couple lines before The Man In Black threatens to hurt her for "lying."

----

I've got a question for the thread in general (which you, Ilbranteloth, are of course free to answer as well):

Is part of the problem with dragonborn the fact that they are official?

Sometimes, I get the feeling that there is a deep antipathy, with certain segments of the gaming population, for "novelty" in the...for lack of a better term, "narrative" content of D&D. Novel mechanical ideas aren't necessarily seen as good or bad (e.g. 5e's "universal" proficiency score, or 4e's one-and-done +5 "training" value), and it seems like many DMs from all styles of play are open to cool player suggestions if presented in the right way. But for some reason, dragonborn (even more than tieflings or drow) seem to really stick in peoples' craw. The idea of playing something draconic isn't weird in the global sense--it's well known, by now, that Gygax allowed people to play (young) dragons and even balrogs at his table, as long as they grew into their power in some way, rather than just starting off awesome. And while I've seen (what I consider) far too many DMs who open conversations about their campaigns with lengthy, detailed, and occasionally vitriolic lists of all the things they'll never ever let you play in their games, I still hold out hope that most DMs are cool enough to listen when the player has a cool idea they'd like to bring to life.

So...yeah, I guess my question is (whether specific to Faerun or not): Is the fact that dragonborn are in the book when you didn't "ask" for or "want" them there what really makes them a "problem"? Or is it more fundamental than that--that people just can't accept lizards-with-epic-halitosis as an option thematically "equivalent to" a dwarf or even a half-orc (since the 4e mechanics were well-balanced and the 5e ones are, if anything, on the weak side)?

The short answer is:
Yes, the novelty side has worn off for me, I'm much more interested in the narrative content, and new rules should support my game and not get in the way or intrude upon that narrative.

I'm always willing to consider any idea they have, including dragonborn or tiefling (see below), but it IS entirely dependent upon how they present it. If they are invested in the character, then we can work with it. If it's just because it's cool and they want to play it because it makes them different than everybody else, or gives them powers that others don't have, I'm probably not interested.

By making them official, it opened up the floodgates. Players often don't care if it fits your world, and you're not being fair if you don't let them play one. So it's not so much whether or not it's official, but the conflict it creates when, as a DM, we opt to not include something in our campaign.

The long answer is:
My campaign is fairly traditional since it's been going on for so long. The world is humanocentric. I'm one of those types that explores the nature of people and the world in my stories. It's all about the development of the character, how they fit into the world, and character growth. It's a Tolkienesque approach, where the journey and growth of the characters is the real story, not the adventures that they get into.

Yes, the game is about having fun, killing monsters and getting treasure. But after a while that gets kind of old. But if you develop the characters, then people get invested in the game, and maybe we learn something. I know I have.

If the focus is on special abilities, the character 'build', the 'I want to be different by playing a unique race or class,' then the game starts to revolve around the rules, trying to find more abilities that make me unique. It pulls you out of the story and into the 'game' and it also tends to be centered on 'me' instead of 'us' at the very least, and hopefully the world that you're involved in if you move beyond that. It's exacerbated by the fact that most (in my experience) people who want to play them are just looking to be 'better' than the other characters in the campaign. These people also tend to be the ones that grow tired of their character when the novelty has worn off, and they want to start a new character. This

The 5th edition has recognized that the ever-expanding ruleset to always have something new isn't sustainable, nor good business practice. Sure there's a group of gamers that are entirely focused on the game aspect of D&D. For them it's about the 'build' and getting more power, and being unique as in 'totally different than everybody else.' Or at least in character design. That's an entirely valid approach, and if that's what they enjoy, it's what they should do.

In terms of dragonborn and tieflings in the Forgotten Realms specifically, it has to do with the nature of the races and how they've changed over the years. When it was a hidden nature I found it interesting. But TSR and WotC, like many game companies, felt the need to have new things for the players to do. Initially almost every release was geared toward the DM. But in any given game the DM is 25% or less of the participants. How do we sell to the others? Make up more stuff for the players. New classes, new abilities, new races. Hey, I jumped in totally in the '80's - this was cool stuff!

But when you start dumping (as TSR did) everything into the Forgotten Realms it begins to stretch credibility. And they went both directions - ever more fantastic, and ever more mundane. Hey, we should have a campaign based on the ancient Aztecs (really, no). Oh, put it in the Forgotten Realms. Hey, we have a new ruleset, we have to reshape the Realms to fit. Plus, it's getting old, let's drop in parts of another planet, that would be cool (not so much). And that's how we can add these new races. We don't have to worry about the fact that they haven't been there for the last few thousand years and people just didn't notice. In the case of the dragonborn and the influx of new tieflings, it was a sudden, 'here they are, new races have invaded your world,' with little support or explanation beyond a few entries in the Campaign Setting. There was no development beyond 'wouldn't this be cool?' Now, of course, we have precedence. TSR or WotC in the 3rd edition introduced something that a group, it might be a small but vocal group, it might be a larger group, wants in their game. And I think that WotC learned from TSR's mistakes. Council of Wyrms was a campaign setting where you could play dragons. Cool right? Maybe it wasn't implemented in a way that people connected with. But the larger business issue is that it will sell more if connected to an existing, established campaign.

Plus the world doesn't need more races. Over the years there have been all sorts of new humanoid races as monsters, and eventually playable PC classes as well. Most get very little traction. It seems to be because people have grown tired of orcs and goblins, but in the end that's what's believable and works well within the setting.

Now Erin M Evans appears to have done some very cool things with it and run with it in a big way. I haven't read any fiction in a long time, but I might get around to them because they look like awesome books and for the little bit I have read, I really like her writing. And the stories probably work them into the Realms very well. Except that the races don't feature in other author's Realms books. Oh, there might be one mentioned here or there, since they are now part of the world. But they aren't integrated into the Realmslore as a whole, either by the fiction authors or the game authors.

Contrast with Spellfire, another exception to the rule, and how it feels like it's part of the living, breathing Realms (largely because it's Greenwood), but also that its absence in other writings is a non-issue. Why? Because it's very, very rare. If dragonborn and tieflings are supposed to be 'standard' and more common, then they should be. And they aren't.

The concept of 'dragonmen' as it's been implemented isn't really what I'm interested in either. Originally it was based on the idea that some (primarily good) dragons could polymorph. And that certain of those dragons spend considerable time in humanoid form in civilized locations. Hey, what if they had a kid with a human? They had a few special abilities, but were largely human. Also very, very rare.

Spellfire is another good example. Everybody suddenly wanted spellfire because it was now a rule. Except that it's exceedingly rare. Essentially, for players it's best to design the standard, the norm. When you codify the 'exception' it becomes the new standard because everybody wants to do it.

In the case of the last player I had who wanted to play a dragonborn, I worked with them and recast it as my old-style half-dragon. They new they had some unusual heritage, but didn't know what (they were an orphan). Part of the adventure was to determine what that was, and from what they learned they believed they were half steel dragon. The other aspect they were investigating was this strange anklet they had, that was enchanted so they could not remove it.

Of course, they didn't stick with the game. I suspect in part because I wasn't running the type of game they wanted. Perhaps they wanted the 'standard' dragonborn and my approach didn't work for them. The character lives on, though, although he's not with the group on regular adventures. He also learned that the anklet was forcing him to stay in his humanoid form, and that he was in fact a young steel dragon. If they had stayed with the campaign, this would have come out much later, because it would have taken some time to learn the secret of the anklet and how to remove it. At the same time, everybody else in the party has their own personal mysteries they are trying to solve as well, and they've been following clues as they find them (many of which have been intertwined).

So in my campaign, I like to be a bit more subtle. Most things are fairly mundane. By centering the world on an approximation of our world in an earlier time, it forms a frame of reference that everybody can understand to judge how fantastic the fantastic really is. We're over a year in real time into this campaign, playing weekly, and they are only 6th level.

The 'monster as a character' thing on one hand can expand the level of intellectual discussion. Orcs aren't really evil, they are just raised that way. Except in the end we want them to be just evil so we can kill them with impunity. That there are actually races and beings that exist solely for the purpose of war, oppression, and are a deadly threat to life as we know it, whether it's a band of 6 or 60,000. I still push that boundary a bit, because players (or more specifically characters) should stop and consider their actions when killing any intelligent living creature.

It's not for everybody. And for me, dragonborn and tieflings have sort of become sort of a poster-child that signals that there's a good chance that this player probably isn't looking to play the same sort of game I am. Admittedly, a big part of it is that I've done the monster as a PC, the munchkinizing, the 'we play by every rule written' and 'tactical combat is better' approach. And everybody is entitled to find the game style that works for them, whether it's a phase or their permanent preference.

But 5th edition came along as my daughter was getting old enough to play, and I want her to experience what I did in the '70's. In addition they are undoing a lot of the changes that I didn't like in the 4th edition Forgotten Realms. Call it old school, whatever you want. But I've tried so many systems, so many variations, and settled on this as my preferred campaign to run.

Ilbranteloth

gyor

Legend
I just don't see how a bad pastiche of Egyptian and Babylonian gods/culture is MORE interesting than dragonborn. Unther, Mulhorand, and Maztica could have stayed gone. Has anyone even played in thise nations? Granted, I started in 4e when they were gone, but having read up on yhem I'm lik3...meh. Doesn't add to the setting at all. I don't want to play on ancient Earth.

Its not either or, the Dragonborn nation Tymanther is reduced in size to make room for Unther's return, but its still there including its capital.

And Mulhorand and Unther are no more Ancient Egypt and Babylon then Canada and America are Britian and France.

Mulhorand was never culturally divided the way Egypt was between lower and upper lik e Egypt for example and Mulhorand no longer uses heiroglyphs.

And Unther is an amalmation of multiple mesopotimion cultures, Babylonian, Summerian, maybe Ayssrian too.

Plus they've intermixed genetically and cultural with the Imaskari and they've had thousands of years of history since being kidnapped from earth.

And we don't know what kind of influences the Untherite's time in Abier has had.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
The earliest I have seen them mentioned - and they were 'offstage' for this - was in 3e: Races of the Dragon.
Back in the Year of Dragon's Rage*, many valiant warriors helped defeat the Cult of the Dragon's scheme to create a perpetual Rage of Dragons^. Bahamut offered to them a gift: become more like dragons. The result was the first dragonborn.

*1370 DR? I need to check my calendar (or Grand History of the Realms) ...

^ First-Speaker Samwise, founder of the Cult and by now a lich himself, reasoned that the dragons of Faerun would face this choice: go mad or become dracoliches. He wanted them to decide 'dracoliches'.

Yes, but that's not the same dragonborn as these, although quite similar. Obviously in 5th ed they would use the same race.

Having said that, I wasn't interested in them at that time either. Because of my history with D&D, pretty much any dragon-man race feels like we're trying to import Draconians from Krynn of the Dragonlance world. And to a large degree, that felt to me like a lot of races at that time (and particularly the 2nd and 3rd editions) of 'what else can we make into a humanoid? People want to play dragons, let's make dragomen.' This thinking has also created an endless number of half-races.

I know that's not always the case, but they've never really felt that organic to me. I guess part of the reason is that anytime you introduce an intelligent, civilized, and powerful race to a world, they will change that world, probably significantly. Historically the multi-racial system has worked because dwarves tend to stay to their subterranean cities, elves to the woods, and both are usually in decline. Other races, like halflings and gnomes, tend to be minor races that would never be bent on world conquest. The evil races, on the other hand, such as the goblinoids and orcs are semi-subterranean, usually with a dislike or even disadvantage in sunlight, and their brutal and evil warlike nature almost keeps them in check by itself, and when they do get organized in a large enough group to be a threat, then all of the good races band together to defeat them. And the good races are always better at tactics and working together.

Lizard folk are more primitive, etc. Yuan-ti have organized their own domain in the Realms, but again are partially subterranean, and haven't grown enough in strength to overcome the good raced banded together.

But introducing another race that is of equal power (and to some degree more powerful in dragonborn) would drastically alter a world over time. Whether by their own desire for conquest, or expansion triggered by defense of their race, land, and way of life, it would be extremely likely that they would shape the world in significant ways over a long period of time.

Sure you can just ignore these probabilities and say they are honorable, will stay primarily in their country, and live happily among the other races' culture. But I just don't think that's the way things work. It's pointless to have them if they just stay in their own country, and their culture is well-established and mature, and since it's quite different than human culture (which defines most of the world), they would likely want to have their own settlements in each region, run by their beliefs and culture. As those settlements grow, they would need to grow, and it would introduce conflict. All great narrative ideas.

So if they've been there for a long period of time, the world would be different. If they've just arrived, they will likely change the world dynamic to go in new directions. And for my world, that just doesn't appeal to me.

Ilbranteloth

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Just curious, those that know previous editions, where dragonborn came from conceptually. 4e s3ems to have originally made them for Nerath, th POL setting. Obviously they were popular enough to find a place in Faerun. Not sure what the complaint there is, though, since Faerun was always a kitchen sink setting. And dragonborn don't have to be in YOUR FR campaign, so not sure on your complaints there, either.

No, I don't think they were popular enough to find a place in Faerun. And Faerun wasn't always a kitchen sink setting. Business/game design decisions made the Forgotten Realms the kitchen sink setting, including things like dragonborn.

Ilbranteloth

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Actually, the dragonborn originated in the 3e book Races of Dragon, which started adapting Dragonborn and Spellscales and half-dragons into a distinct identity instead of just others. Its the direction the game, as a whole, was moving towards before 4e.

I find it equal parts amusing and frustrating at how people blow up at 4e sometimes. 4e, for all its claimed changes, actually didn't introduce a lot of the changes beyond the AEDU system. So much was taken from Eberron and other later 3.5 era books and merged into the default setting. Even the dragonborn v. tiefling war was inspired by Eberron's early history of dragons versus fiends.

Either way, I don't really care about everyone else's edition complaints. I like the modern dragonborn, though, to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed at the mechanics. Dragonbreath really could use a boost, and we could really stand to see some racial variants here.

No, half-dragons (although different) go back at least as far as 2nd Edition in the Forgotten Realms, and of course the Dragonlance draconians go back to the 1st edition, which bear a much closer resemblance to the dragonborn.

Ilbranteloth

Ilbranteloth

Explorer

Well, Egyptian-themed elements and adventures have been a staple in D&D from nearly the beginning. The Desert of Desolation series is one of my favorites (and I'm actually using elements of that in a campaign right now). I agree that tacking it onto the Realms in the manner they did wasn't great, but it was worked into the lore of the area fairly well, especially since it happened so long ago. However, it also provided precedence for doing the same with other cultures. (well the Moonshaes did really, since they were added on at the beginning, and it was much more European).

I have had campaigns involved in Chessenta, Unther and Mulhorand in particular. I'm sure I'm not in a majority in this regard, but I am aware of other campaigns in the region. Of course, back in the mid-late '80's this was all quite new and exciting, and we were still on the path of more is better, in game releases and also in the gaming community. We just didn't know better. But they have been better integrated into the setting than the other settings.

Tacking on Kara-Tur and even Zakhara worked OK because they were both very well developed, and also had product support for a while. And they were also very far away. So it really was irrelevant for most that they were in the Forgotten Realms. If you wanted to play in one of those locations, you just started a campaign there.

Maztica was a mistake on pretty much every front. It's not that something like that couldn't work, but the various cultures were so different from the standard D&D concept, particularly when you get into magic, that it was really pointless. From a Forgotten Realms perspective, they just turned it into 'the New World' which pretty much meant that the Realms nations would be interested in conquest and the lands riches, essentially encouraging re-enactment of how Europe pillaged North and South America. Instead of a world where you'd be expected to fight and kill evil orcs, the 'enemies' were weak representations of actual historical cultures. Yuck. I'm sure somebody played in it for the novelty of the setting, which could be interesting, but after their two or 3 novels and adventures it was forgotten.

The Hordelands were another largely irrelevant addition.

Tymanther and Returned Abeir were less integrated, and really just forced. To me it felt like they had come to the conclusion that new campaign worlds wasn't the way to go (they certainly exploded in the 2nd edition), so instead they just came up with a way to cram a new setting into the Forgotten Realms. The Spellplague was fine, and there were a lot of interesting elements and such in the overall story. And I'm sure the idea of 'let's take a little used section of the Realms and replace it with something better because of this really cool story concept' sounded great at the time.

But, the Old Empires, Desert of Desolation, Kara-Tur, Hordelands, Zakhara, and Maztica should have made it clear that the far-off lands in the Realms usually have little to no impact in the core Realms products or campaigns. Regardless if it was poor publishing and planning, or the natural order of things in the Realms, clearly races and cultures from regions that far from the Heartlands (with the exception of Thay), just don't have much of an impact on the Realms as a whole. That's one of the reasons why I think that other than if they had started trying to expand Tymanther that I don't think the dragonborn would have spread much, or had much impact on the rest of the Realms.

I'm not even sure there's much action in the Moonshae's among the many Realms campaigns.

Ilbranteloth

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So...yeah, I guess my question is (whether specific to Faerun or not): Is the fact that dragonborn are in the book when you didn't "ask" for or "want" them there what really makes them a "problem"? Or is it more fundamental than that--that people just can't accept lizards-with-epic-halitosis as an option thematically "equivalent to" a dwarf or even a half-orc (since the 4e mechanics were well-balanced and the 5e ones are, if anything, on the weak side)?
As someone who is a bit ambivalent on DB in general, my hypothesis is that the issue is principally one of aesthetics. DB didn't necessarily "fit" with what people saw D&D as. There's a lot of D&D out there that is heavily reliant on Tolkeinesque imagery or with the "Mundane + Magic" assumptions that see even dwarves, elves, and halflings as strange beings rarely seen by others.

4e's presentation of a more cosmopolitan racial makeup was probably unwelcome for those players. Combine that with the Edition Wars entrenching ideologies, and you have a race that has become something of an icon, regardless of if that's fair or not. In FR especially, the resentment over the 4e treatment of the setting made the DB the vanguard of punching around a beloved setting - they just dropped in from Outer Space.

This would be part of why dragonborn and tieflings are in the "uncommon races" section in the 5e PHB. It's subtle permission from the game to ignore them if they don't fit your idea of what a setting entails. And sometimes all you need is a little bit of official validation to feel welcomed.

For me personally, "dragonborn" has always seemed like a linguistically awkward word, and the "Proud Warrior Race Guys" of 4e never grabbed me (the 3e "ascended mortals" even less so), but the 5e dragonborn (as a continuation of the 4e dragonborn, but now without a homeland) are growing on me, thanks to their narrative of diaspora and refugee status, which isn't a common narrative trope trucked in for D&D races (it's been done, but it's not over-done). Unlike the Proud Warrior Race or the Former Slave Race or other similarly over-done narratives, there's interesting space there to explore some unique kinds of heroes particular to their time and place and not simply generic anybodies. That's an interesting proposition to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads