• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn - will you ban them?

Dragonborn?

• I intend to ban it.

Votes: 139 17.4%
  • I will allow them as is

Votes: 386 48.4%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 202 25.3%
  • I'm a special snowflake and have another idea

Votes: 70 8.8%

Imban

First Post
jeffh said:
Banning anything sight unseen seems like a pretty foolish policy to me.

Well, we've seen them. A lot. I mean, they're in Races & Classes, which supposedly has more of everything but the stats on the PHB races, and I'd feel justified saying "bronze-skinned dragonmen have no place as everyday folk in my campaign setting, so they aren't available as a player option" or "making Penance into a race is really stupid, so they aren't available as a player option and I am certain I will not use them as a Dungeon Master" if I so chose.

Obviously, we can't really comment on whether any of these races is underpowered or overpowered or whatever yet, of course.

Personally, I'm down with Dragonborn, though possibly not for all campaign worlds I'd consider running a game in, and less down with Tieflings. A more subdued look - very small horns protruding from their forehead, a very slight red tint to their skin, unnatural hair colors, maybe traditional thin "devil's" tails with pointed ends at most - and no scribbleblades would have done wonders for my opinion of them.

escaflowne777

First Post
neceros said:
I liked my tiefling friend in NWN2.

Neeshka made me want to shoot myself in the face repeatedly then jump into a pit full of pungi stakes. I verbally abused that creature every chance I got. sorry, off topic. Are there different colors of Dragonborn or one size fits all?

Nightchilde-2

First Post
der_kluge said:
To a lot of people, it seems Dragonborn just don't seem to fit in with their concept of a "Core" race.

What will you do with Dragonborn?

I won't ban them. With a little reconceptionalizing of the original idea, they'll fit right in with my Slavic-based zmajeviti (dragon-like men). Historically, they have a human mother but dragon father, and are fairly human-seeming, but it's a simple matter to just replace the word "dragonborn" with "zmajeviti" to give it a more fantasy-feel, make 'em look and act like the dragonborn in the PHB and there ya go!.

(edited for clarity...)

Last edited:

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Before the announcement of the dragonborn, I probably would have scoffed at the idea. In fact, I was initially disappointed when I first heard of them, because I was hoping full-blooded orcs would have been made it into the first PHB. But not long after that disappointment, I really warmed up to them. I haven't even seen the game, but now I can't imagine D&D without the dragonborn, nor can I imagine what took D&D so long to finally get them.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I'll allow them. I warmed up to the idea of draconian-type PC core races while playing Arcana Evolved. I like the Mojh and the Dracha so I'll probably allow the Dragonborn. :)

Nahat Anoj

First Post
escaflowne777 said:
are there different colors?
AFAIK, the default Dragonborn are mostly gold-ish. However, as a GM I have no problem with different colored Dragonborn. Indeed, I bet the 4e Draconomicon will have that as an option, along with a variety of powers depenedent on what color of Dragonborn you are (red-scaled Dragonborn can get firey breath, black-scaled Dragonborn get darkness abilities, etc.).

WyzardWhately

First Post
I really don't like them as a core race, in the sense of living in the same places as the other major PC races. But then, I picture them out in a jungle somewhere, probably with aztec/mayan style pyramids, tying scantily-clad women down to altars for sacrifice to the Elder Wyrm they worship as a god, and...man, I start to think maybe they *do* have a place in my campaign world.

I think the problem is that I'm more of a Sword & Sorcery guy at heart than the current "story of D&D" is going for, so I will most likely have to reflavor all kinds of stuff.

Xorn

First Post
Allowed. After reading Races & Classes, I'm excited to start a new Points of Light themed campaign. The history written up for the Dragonborn seems great to me.

Remove ads