• I will allow them as is

Votes: 386 48.4%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 202 25.3%
  • I'm a special snowflake and have another idea

Votes: 70 8.8%

Incenjucar

Legend
It's my intention to have a by-the-books campaign for testing out the actual quality of 4E as intended, so dragonborn are automatically part of that.

May as well see what they've done alongside my extreme homebrew campaign.

StarFyre

Explorer
yay!

As someone else mentioned....since I DM a planescape campaign, I already convert any race that players want to use from 2E if they don't exist with an ECL now (most do), and any race/class is allowed. I also modify races/classes/monsters as I see fit all the time.

That said, dragonborn, tieflings, whatever else 4E throws in, will be gladly added.

Sanjay

EditorBFG

Explorer
I am one of the many folks who intends to allow them but to adapt them to whatever world I may be running (as opposed to adapting the world's history to include them), maybe as the basis for converting draconians/assarai/saurials/mojh/whatever to 4E.

Rechan

Adventurer
R&C said that, when they were putting together a list of all the races they had published in 3e (192 in all), that variations of Dragon Men kept popping up on the list. So the designers said that they just had to do it because it was just so popular and numerous.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
well Dragonborn don't fit in my currernt world. Tieflings and Assimars fit on one contient but not the other. Half-orcs and gnomes were never part of the world.

Im still undecided on the possibiltiy of doing a new world from scratch. If I do, dragonborn will get a place at the table, presuming they work as a race.

My players are bigger on new classes -warlock, beguiler, cloistered cleric, duskblade, spirit shaman, and scout. As well as every core class - except ranger, oddly. I have no doubt that everything will be tried.

As for races, only tiefling x2, half-demon, celestial (templated) elf, and core have been used, except by one ex-player who played in rapid sucession: goblin, dragonborn, elf. 1/2 fey, human, and exotic human.

Dragonborn fit as a core race moreso than half-orcs or half-elves. If people actually read Races & Classes (yeah, I know... $20 for a preview), they would see how dragonborn both fit in with the mythology & history of the new Base D&D World, and are a cool character concept to play. Their culture is cool (and doesn't depend on bastard children, unlike half-breeds). The concept of them as martial (klingon, krogan, hobgoblin/bugbear) trailblazers will definitely interest players.

Saying you'll ban dragonborn as a kneejerk reaction would be the same as saying you'd ban warforged or half-orcs (not as cool as warforged). If your precious world is standard medieval fantasy, sobeit. But if I were a player and could play as a character who got strength bonuses or eventually breath attacks or eventually wings and it didn't BREAK THE GAME (make them more uber than everyone else), then I'd be a little pissed as a player and would color you as a little too rigid for my Saturday fun time.

Imban

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Because they don't look like/have actual association with an evil, monstrous race. Elves basically look like more graceful, slender humans, dwarves like shorter stouter humans. Dragonborn look like humans crossed with dragons. Worse still, tieflings look like humans crossed with demons. This is unlikely to engender trust in a PoL setting.

Yeah they do, in 4e. Elves look like more human noble Eladrin, who are basically jerks who live in another dimension and some of them hunt humans for sport. Dwarves look like more human azers and galeb dhur, murderous servants of the Primordial-spawn giants.

BradfordFerguson said:
Saying you'll ban dragonborn as a kneejerk reaction would be the same as saying you'd ban warforged

I hope you're aware of how many people utterly hate the Warforged, or find them only grudgingly appropriate for Eberron. I think that honestly, a lot of the resentment players here are feeling for gnomes and half-orcs being non-PHB1 and dragonborn or tieflings being in PHB1 is that DMs who took a hard line of banning all non-PHB races in 3e had to have been widespread, considering the amount of players (including myself) who have complained about that being a frequent condition.

I know *I* don't, but it seems pretty unfortunately common. Maybe this will take a step to address it, by having a decent portion of GMs banning races in the PHB1 and making "monster" races available to PCs. Maybe it won't, and instead you'll have Tiefling PCs all over the place and anyone who wants to play a Gnome will be treated the same as someone who wants to play an Illithid.

Just because a vocal crowd on the Internet doesn't like warforged doesn't mean that a vast majority of gaming tables banned them (if they are running Eberron).

A VAST MAJORITY of gamers never come onto the Internet to discuss/follow their RPG hobby. MOST people I game with haven't heard of Malhavoc Press and BARELY know who Monte Cook is. These people aren't stupid, they just aren't into it as much as you and I are.

That said, I totally understand the DM that doesn't want the players playing "wierd" races. But warforged fit into the Eberron history/myth, and so will dragonborn and tieflings into the new Base World's history/myth... and have a major part in world history and are somewhat accepted in society... Then who are you as DM to say, "no you can't have fun that way even though it isn't overpowered/twinkish."...?

Would you allow a player to play a drow but not a tiefling? Tiefling is a way for 4e players to explore kinda evil (if they like) without DMs having to kill their characters on the spot as would most surface dwellers kill drow on sight.

Last edited:

Mieric

First Post
In the unlikely event that we actually do migrate to 4e - Dragonborn are definately on the list to get hit with the banstick, they'll get replaced by the Muls from Darksun (after all if we have half-elves and half-orcs, why not half-dwarves too).

Oh, and the <bleeping> planetouched (aasimar, tieflings, gensai, etc.) are getting changed to some sort of damn template instead of them being distinct races, like they always should have been.

Last edited:

Remove ads